PDA

View Full Version : 350x swingarm pivot bolt

ovhonda1
09-25-2005, 01:59 PM
this pivot bolt is stuck! When I try to turn the bolt the entire swingarm moves with it. Is there something that is still holding it that I do not know about, or is it just rusted together after all of the years? Is the best way to get it out to use a punch and hammer? I can't imagine what the bearings inside look like. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

seadoo650
09-25-2005, 02:44 PM
I had the same problem when rebuilding the wife's 200x. I used an air hammer and alot of penetrating fluid. It was rusted bad. I had to get a new pivot bolt afterwards cause the hammer tore the heck out of the old one.Work it on one end and then the other kinda back and forth and it will eventually come out. Also replace the bearings and grease it up real good when installing the new ones.

ovhonda1
09-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Got the pivot bolt out! now the problem is getting the pivot coller out. The outer washers are supposed to be removed with a drift? What is that? how did you do it?

mnsnowboy
09-25-2005, 09:53 PM
The pivot collar is the round, hollow shaft that is carried by the swingarm bearings.

The drift they are referring to is a style of punch. All it is is a punch that is normally a round shaft and flat on the end. Search up drift punch on the net if you are still curious and you'll see one.

As for removing this- find something that is just a *HAIR* smaller than the inside of the swingarm bearings and pound away. Don't worry about using a press like the manual probably suggests because you're gonna hafta put new swing arm bearings in it anyway.

I JUST DID this exact replacement on my 350X and my pivot collar was worn out so bad I had to get a new one. Those are easily found as well. Good luck!

-sb