PDA

View Full Version : 250r - need help

Yamahauler
09-24-2005, 02:49 PM
My buddy bought a 82 250r and he gave it to me to get running. Well, its running now, but when you let the throttle off, it stays on and keeps revving and then slowly goes off.
I was thinking maybe the slide was dirty, so I pulled it out and cleaned it off. still does the same thing. I checked the cable for any kinks or if it was misrouted, It looked good.

Could the cable be a little gummed up? replace it?

could the spring above the slide be weak?

I never oiled the throttle actually, and I''m going to go do that now.

Any other ideas of what it could be?

There is gas coming out the overflow as well, I thought the float was sticking so I cleaned the carb and put it back on, but it still is overflowing.
Should I lower the float height?

TeamGeek6
09-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Fix the gas running out the overflow before going any further, or before riding it again. Adjusting the float is not the first place to start, look for debris (dirt, rust, small animals) in the gas tank and fuel lines.

slothminx
09-24-2005, 03:41 PM
The not idling when you lift off the throttle is typical of an airleak in the intake. Double check on the section from the carb to the head and if theres anything that might be a leak poke some thick grease in there and try again. if you find the problem place try some silicon in there to seal it up. If you still have the problem when you have checked for airleaks, get a long spring the will fit around the cable and try it in there to see if that solves your problem. I had to put an extra spring above the slide on the 70 as it wasnt idling down. But this was only after fixing the airleak.

Yamahauler
09-24-2005, 03:55 PM
I've already check for an airleak, and found nothing. I am pretty sure its the throttle just sticking on, I just dont know if it's the slide, the cable, or the thumb throttle. You can see it getting stuck, and if you pull the throttle towards you and then push it a little, there is slack there for a little while, and then eventually tensions up. (Did that make sense?)

slothminx
09-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Yep that makes sense. well sounds like you just need an addition spring in there, just test it before you ride to make sure it isnt going to bind up ;)

Will

freewheel3
09-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Sounds to me like there is not enough freeplay in the throttle cable. Slack it off & see what happens.
And yeah, lube the cable.
Shouldn't need an extra spring in there unless something else is wrong. I mean after all, it ran with just 1 spring in there for the last 20 years.

slothminx
09-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Yes freewheel, i thought this at first but he said that it eventually backs down to idle it just takes time. ;);)

freewheel3
09-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Yes freewheel, i thought this at first but he said that it eventually backs down to idle it just takes time. ;);)
Sometimes it is set just a hair too tight & vibration from the engine makes it reseat after a minute or so.

slothminx
09-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Well it seems resonable to me, so yamahauler it would be a good idea to check that.
Freewheel :beer

freewheel3
09-24-2005, 04:50 PM
TG6 is right. First fix the carb overflowing problem. Get that fixed & then see what happens.
Might just have to adjust the idle mixture setting after that.

monster 84r
09-24-2005, 05:16 PM
my 250r has the float problem too, even after i rebuilt the carb. it only happens when i run it out of gas though, or if i have a bad mix of gas. when it sticks it throws the carb out of whack, so for sure fix it first.

trikezilla
09-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Is there much spring left in its thumb throttle?? If there isnt, the spring on top of the slide is doing all the work and I dont think ist quite strong enough to return the throttle back to its normal position by itself.