PDA

View Full Version : Krylon Fusion paint for underneath fenders...

Solid Snake
09-23-2005, 08:23 PM
I've read about how great this stuff is in these forums but haven't found anything about painting underneath the fenders. I want to know if it'll hold up on the underside. Also, what the hell is wet sanding? That may sound dumb but hey...if I'm gonna paint my fenders I gotta do them right and everyone says they wet sanded. Thanks.

Solid Snake
09-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Anybody...?

Vealmonkey
09-24-2005, 12:58 AM
wet sanding, is where you use a special wet sandpaper, sandpaper that will hold together in water, and a clean bucket of water. You first soak the sandpaper in the water, then you sand by hand...alot. You dip the sandpaper back into the bucket from time to time, as the sandpaper starts to dry out some, every 2 or 3 minutes. This helps to keep the sandpaper free of the material that you are sanding on and it helps to float away particles out of the sandpaper while you sand. You start with maybe 180 grit paper, depending on how bad your fenders are, and you sand them all over. Then you switch to a finer grain of sandpaper and so on. Once the sand paper starts to get so fine, you are more like polishing the plastic than sanding on it, then you can use polishing compound. It is a slow process, but rewarding.

monster 84r
09-24-2005, 01:47 AM
well put vealmonkey.i painted my fenders, both above and underneath, it works pretty good. it does scratch off in a few places, but it stands up to normal stuff. when i painted my trike, i only used 200 grit, then 400 grit. it worked good for me. after spending about an hour wetsanding everything i cleaned the surface with rubbing alchohol to get out contaminants. i painted over my red maier fenders with gloss black. it holds good under the fenders.

my big problem though is that i got greedy and sprayed it on too thick and too fast. so by the time it was totally dried (1week because i sprayed too thick), it was covered in scratches. my advice, spray on a coat, let it bake in the sun for a while, then spray another coat. its easier to come off when its caked on. but after its dry, it holds up great.

heres a pic of the final product. ive got alot more work to do though.

http://www.blogupload.com/10184/169163306_l.jpg