PDA

View Full Version : 10" front tire for the 250R, which do you like?

Derrick Adams
09-23-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm going to order a couple of the 10" Douglas front wheels for the trikes this week. Planning on getting one for the 250R and one for the 500R. Which of these front tires would you prefer for MX on the trike and why?

The other picture is of the new Holeshot MXR4's that i'm going to try out on the back of the 250R. I'm still tossed on whether to get those in 18" or 19". It seems that the 18's are made for hardpack MX but almost every MX track i've ever ridden on is loose dirt or mud. However the 18" Turf tamers have seemed to work well for me.

Jason Hall
09-23-2005, 08:20 PM
I have a set of holeshot mx's on my tecate 4 & they are real stiff rubber. You have to air them up alot to make the middle of the tire pop out. I would go with the one on the right, it looks rounder & probly won't be as hard a compond as the mx. To bad you can't feel the compound before you buy one or the other. I don't think you will want a real hard tire on the front, & one that is flat will dig in when you turn. A 3 wheeler front tire leans alot when you turn. I will bring a mx with me to sunset so you can see how hard the compound is.

OldSchoolin86
09-23-2005, 08:32 PM
I was going to get the one on the left but now I'm going with a stock 400ex front tire. Jason has a good point, if it's difficult to get some roundness out of it maybe it's not so good of a choice.

Derrick Adams
09-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Well, one of the benifits of having an MX track 10 minutes away is that I can most probably check both styles out in person, before I buy one.
I wonder if the ones Jason saw are the smaller ones. They offer them in a 19" version, I believe, which seems to be the popular size around here. I think the 21" ones are mainly used on Cross Country bikes.

x.system
09-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I race and use the 18" turf tamers and had a chance to test both the 18" and 19" holeshots MXR4's and would definatly go with the 19". They have exellent forward bite over the turfs and soft enuff compound to not spin out in the corners. I'm switching from turfs to holeshots for the next season. The fronts also work really good in all conditions on the track. I've got a set of Razr's that I've tried and they don't even compare, will be selling those soon. The only bad thing about the holeshots is they wear out fast on the track but I can get a full season out of a set so it would be worth it to me.