PDA

View Full Version : air leak?????

western star
09-23-2005, 07:40 PM
I think i got an air leak in the base of the cylinder..I can't get it to idle at a steady rpm.I sprayed starting fluid around the base and after a few seconds it idles down and then up.Is that how you check to see if it is sucking air??Or how about a different way to check,Just to make sure . How could i fix this without taking it apart??It's a 4 stroke and im not to familier with them.Any help or ideas would be helpful.I think when the motor cools I'll put some cylicone around the base.Someone 's gotta know how to fix me up.Thanks

freewheel3
09-23-2005, 08:00 PM
If there was a leak @ the base of the cylinder you would have oil coming out, not air getting in. An air leak that causes problems would more than likely be between the carb & engine on the intake manifold or boot. Check there for leaks using the starting fluid.
Be careful w/ this stuff, it is very flammable.
Also make sure that none of the vapor is getting into the air intake tube because this will cause the engine to speed up making you think you have a leak.
There is also a possibility that you have an air leak on the carb itself, check the top cap for tightness & also make sure there is a gasket in there that is sealing properly.

western star
09-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Ok i'll check the intake boot and carb tomorrow it may be there.There is no oil leaking anywhere around the base actually no oil leaks anywhere.Can you think of anything else that would cause my problem besides an airleak??Thanks for the help

freewheel3
09-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Ok i'll check the intake boot and carb tomorrow it may be there.There is no oil leaking anywhere around the base actually no oil leaks anywhere.Can you think of anything else that would cause my problem besides an airleak??Thanks for the help
Possiibilities include:
Old or dirty fuel.
Clogged fuel line or petcock screen.
Clogged carb jets.
Incorrect float level.
Dirty air filter.
Incorrect idle mixture setting on carb.
Spark plug could be dirty, faulty or gapped incorrectly.