PDA

View Full Version : '85 350X steering stem bearing swap out

mnsnowboy
09-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey all....I got the steering bearing swap-out set so I don't hafta rebuild it with the silly azz loose steel balls. What I wanna know is do I still have to use the bearing adjustment nut when I put it all back together? That's still unclear to me. And also since the new bearings are the tapered style, how do they end up seating? Thanx!

-sb

mnsnowboy
09-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Check that....I was lookin at something else. The question that I should ask is do you still have to use the adjustment nut....(I'm guessing yes) and how does that bearing seat against the inner edges of the steering post frame?

-sb

1DEADPRESIDENT
09-23-2005, 02:37 PM
I too am swapping my neck bearings also. You will have to make sure that there are no differences between the top and bottom bearings. Once you know which one is the top and bottom knock the races in your steering neck first. Once they are seated all the way you can reassemble the remaining. I wondered about the bearing adjustment nut also I can't see where its going to do anything more than keep trash out of the new top bearing. I am putting mine back together this weekend. I'll let you know what the outcome is.........

mnsnowboy
09-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Cool man! Thanks. Ya know I was thinking about the races myself. The bearings I have are the same size, and the kit also included the bottom washer and rubber dust seal which is sweet. Only thing I gotta do is get the races. I am having a hell of a time with the bearing nut, so I'm still tryin ta figure that one out. How's yours coming along?

-sb

mnsnowboy
09-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey I started playin around with it some this weekend and it feels to me like ya still hafta have that bearing nut on there because isn't that what the top triple seats on? Otherwise the steering stem is two different diameters right there and don't know how it would work otherwise.

-sb

1DEADPRESIDENT
10-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah Cowboy did you ever get those races in? I am having a issue with the top race. I am using a 85 mdl. frame and moose only has one stem bearing kit for the 350x. My top race will not seat all the way into the neck. What outcome did you have? Who else has used the Moose stem bearings in their 350x?