PDA

View Full Version : 200x Axle - stripped sprocket hub splines!!!

leprogle
09-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I have a durablue axle, and the sprocket hub splines are worn, is there any way this can be fixed? could a machine shop repair the threads? I don't really want to have to buy another axle, I actually have 2 durablue axles, and both have the same problem.

mnsnowboy
09-22-2005, 10:10 PM
That steel has been hardened. I don't know if they can fill it in and then re-broach it. That's the process where splines are formed. Not sure if they can "build it up" and do it all over or not.

-sb

Jason Hall
09-22-2005, 10:20 PM
About the only thing I can think to do is have a machine shop cut a keyway grove in the axle & also the sprocket hub.

oddball3
09-22-2005, 10:32 PM
You can drill the hubs and tap them and put in 1 or 2 fine thread set screws, like 5/16 fine thread. Not sure how long it will hold. If not put new axle bearings in and weld the hub on. Did it to my wifes 86 200x, but luckily it wasnt the hub you have to take off to get the axle out.

thedeatons
09-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Good suggestion about the bolts, but I would suggest at least 3/8", if not a 1/2", and use a Nylock nut (with anti-sieze) on the back, along with flat washers both sides. Make sure to get stainless steel hardware, at least grade 18-8. I could actually mail bolts to you if you give me a length, as I work with hardware as a Defense Contractor every day. My first thought would be to contact the company, if that option is still available, and ***** really nicely, and explain that both axles have the same problem. You never know, if you ask really politely and talk to the right person, like an engineer or someone at management level, they may just hook you up. Also mention that people on the ATV forums told you to call because of their great customer service and blah-blah-blah. Really talk them up... That's how I get free stuff all the time. A five minute phone call is well worth it. James

leprogle
09-23-2005, 03:24 PM
durablue responded and said they do not repair splines, I took your advice Deaton, and tried to talk them up a bit, and i'll see how that goes, otherwise, i'm probably gonna drill and tap, and put 3/8 or 1/2'' bolts in, probably 3 maybe 4 to make sure it holds tight, but without weakening the axle

leprogle
09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
i'm not sure what grade of bolts i can get at the hardware store, i think they're all cheap, i've broken a few.

Billy Golightly
09-23-2005, 06:21 PM
About the only thing I can think to do is have a machine shop cut a keyway grove in the axle & also the sprocket hub.

Jason is exactly right. Have them weld over the splines and cut a keyway groove on the axle, and also the sprocket hub. Problem solved. To be honest I dont know why they didn't come like that to start with.

Howdy
09-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Jason is exactly right. Have them weld over the splines and cut a keyway groove on the axle, and also the sprocket hub. Problem solved. To be honest I dont know why they didn't come like that to start with.

The reason they didn't come with a key way is this: A splined shaft is more durable and stronger than a key way. Think of it another way: If a Keyway would be better then why are drive shafts, 1/2 shafts ( front wheel drive ), gears, and such splined?
Simple answer: They use splines because it is a LOT stronger when done correctly. Keyways are weak, I know I machine fork lift parts and a fork lift takes a lot of abuse.

Howdy

jeswinehart
09-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey Howdy,,,, do you think the pop can trick might work ???

john

leprogle
09-23-2005, 07:53 PM
what do you suggest i should do Howdy?

Jason Hall
09-23-2005, 08:43 PM
If you ever looked at a shifter cart axle you would see that they are keyed, & as long as the keyway is done right it will never move. Especially on a 200x. I could understand it coming loose on a 900cc 4-stroke, but I would bet if you put a square piece of key stock in there that was fitted tight you would be fine. A car has lots more torque than a 200x. You would spend huge money to have an axle resplined. The whole trick to making it work right would be to make sure the hub is fitted real tight on the axle. A pressed fit. I would have it machined to where you would have to heat the hub in your oven, & put the axle in your deep freezer. I have installed cam gears on deisel cams that way 500 deg in the oven for 30 mins, then slip the gear right on, they have no keyway.

Howdy
09-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey Howdy,,,, do you think the pop can trick might work ???
john

John, In NO way would I even try the pop can trick here. It wouldn't work, steel is stronger than aluminum and it would wear out in 5 minutes.

what do you suggest i should do Howdy?

Take the axle & sprocket hub to a good machine shop and see if they can re-spline the axle. I have ever done this, but my Dad told me the one place by him does repairs like this. He should know he had a mower shaft re-splined.

Your only other option is to replace both the hub and the axle.
Howdy

Billy Golightly
09-23-2005, 09:23 PM
I personally think a keyway would be fine. You could put 2 in it if you wanted. Most all electric motors, and things like hydraulic pumps have keyways on them. I'm not saying they are stronger then a spline but its probably adequate and worth trying on a rare axle that is otherwise trash. I've looked into spline broaches before and they are very spendy, ESPECIALLY in metric sizes. You could try putting it in a rotary table in in milling machine and using a tiny sized endmill and re-cut the splines by hand but your talking some mega hours to do that.

freewheel3
09-23-2005, 11:18 PM
I personally think a keyway would be fine. You could put 2 in it if you wanted. Most all electric motors, and things like hydraulic pumps have keyways on them. I'm not saying they are stronger then a spline but its probably adequate and worth trying on a rare axle that is otherwise trash. I've looked into spline broaches before and they are very spendy, ESPECIALLY in metric sizes. You could try putting it in a rotary table in in milling machine and using a tiny sized endmill and re-cut the splines by hand but your talking some mega hours to do that.
You are correct there but (there's always a but) the hubs that go on those shafts are usually 2 piece tapered units that use bolts & compression to hold / squeeze the hub onto the shaft.

Howdy
09-23-2005, 11:27 PM
You are correct there but (there's always a but) the hubs that go on those shafts are usually 2 piece tapered units that use bolts & compression to hold / squeeze the hub onto the shaft.

The stock 200x just slides on and is retained on there with a snap ring.
Howdy

freewheel3
09-23-2005, 11:35 PM
The stock 200x just slides on and is retained on there with a snap ring.
Howdy
Thats right. I was referring to the shafts on electric motors & hydraulic pumps that HondaATC mentioned. Without some way to tighten the hub onto the shaft, I doubt it would work.

leprogle
09-25-2005, 09:26 PM
what is a keyway? would a machine shop do that? is there anyway you can weld for resplining without removing the temper for the axle?

Billy Golightly
09-25-2005, 10:11 PM
what is a keyway? would a machine shop do that? is there anyway you can weld for resplining without removing the temper for the axle?

Heres a picture of a keyway I found on google: http://www.skywaywheels.com/graphics/pic_hubkeyway_sml.jpg

Thats what the inside of the sprocket hub would look like. The axle would look like normal except with an extruding flat place on it which fits down in the groove in the above picture. Like I said, if you wanted you could put 2 keyways in it and that would almost have to be enough to hold it. To answer your question, yes, a machine shop should be able to do that. I'm not sure about the welding question. I would guess it depends on how how the person welding it gets it. You might be able to get it re-treated after wards if your really worried about it.

Jason Hall
09-25-2005, 10:23 PM
I can tell you this. You will spend probly twice the amount of a new axle to have yours resplined. The spline in the hub is also shot I'm assuming. That means you will need to repair the hub also (If resplined). You could buy a new hub, then have your axle resplined. That won't be cheap either. A keyway is about your only chance to make the axle work again cheaply. A keyway is a hardened 1/4"or 5/16" piece of square stock( there are other shapes & size keyways, but I would use square because a half round would weeken the axle more). If you have your axle spline welded up the machine shop can turn the weld back down true, then open the hub up to fit the axle. The square hard keyway fits into machined square groves cut in the axle & hub. When you weld the axle it will change the hardness of the metal. If you are that worried about the hardness I would just buy a new axle. You can probly find a used axle cheaper than what it would cost to put a keyway in. Finding a machine shop with the ability to put a new spline in the middle of an axle will be hard enough, finding one with the right size tooling will be even harder (Is probly metric spline).

leprogle
09-28-2005, 08:02 PM
how about if i try the set-screw idea? I have a tap and die set, and i can get bolts easily, that would be pretty much the same as a keyway, except i'd have 2 or 3 set screws, so one wouldn't be taking all the stress. I was thinking of drilling in through outside of the hub, and into the axle a little bit, then threading both.

hotroddal
09-28-2005, 08:57 PM
this is just an idea, it may not be a good one but this is just an idea i just thought of, maybee you could drill a hole threw the axle and the hub and but a big heavy duty bolt threw it to secure it, im not sure if it would work for too long but its another idea.

Jason Hall
09-29-2005, 10:40 PM
The more set screw holes you put in the hub the weaker you will make the hub. If you drill a hole all the way through the axle you will weaken the axle. Did you look on ebay or try a used parts place?

sblt500r
09-29-2005, 11:01 PM
i had this same problem with my lt500r sprocket hub. the splines on the axle wore out. i thought about all these ideas and at the end of all of it i broke down and bought a new axle and hub. if you buy both parts new it should last another 20 years. but if you only but 1 new and the other worn piece will wear your new piece out, causing you to start all over again.
i know your problaby trying to go at it the cheapest way, so why no try some shim stock, put it in between the axle and hub splines? would take up the space and might get some more time out of it. but its not going to be a permanat fix.

firefirefire90
09-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Heres the idea, after reading through this, i would most likely get a whole rear axle set up(everything on rear end minus swinger). Shouldnt be too expensive. Keep it simple, no need to be drillin holes trying to fix something thats shot...just buy rear end - swinger an ** done. No hassle, nothing..appart from money of course.

leprogle
10-02-2005, 07:38 PM
i kinda have too much money into it already, i built it from a bare frame. $490 US, is a pretty hefty bill, seeing as how money is kinda tight right now. I'd probably be better off buying another bike, unless i win the lottery