PDA

View Full Version : Need help. No fire. How do I test the exciter coil?

Lorrel33
09-22-2005, 07:34 PM
I bought an '83 185s and haven't been able to get any spark. I have taken the ignition switch, ignition coil, CDI box and put them on my other 185s and it started up first crank so I am assuming those aren't the problem. The wires coming out of the engine are the ones that I want to test. There is the plastic clip that has a green and a yellow wire in it, and then there's the red/black wire. I tested the red/black to ground and got nothing, and tested the yellow to ground and the needle on the multi-tester went all the way to the right. If it's not the stator I'm lost. I did buy a Clymer's but I can't find the darn thing or I wouldn't need to ask for help. Any help would be appreciated.

TeamGeek6
09-22-2005, 07:43 PM
check coil resistance with an ohmmeter from teh CDI plug so it includes the wiring. Aside from resistance readings, theres nothing you can do without more exotic test equipment, namely, an oscilloscope. I have one, but you probably aren't next door.
I might guess the Red/Black should go to ground, but have to check the diagram. :wondering

jeswinehart
09-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Well My scanner is down but lets see how a picture works.
I just had this manual gave to me today !

john

Howdy
09-22-2005, 08:00 PM
The Black with red striped wire is The exciter coil power wire. One test lead goes to the terminal on that wire and the other lead goes to the engine housing. I recommend 215-245 ohms for best spark results.
Howdy

Lorrel33
09-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys. I had it on R X 10 and check the black/red to ground and it never even moved the needle so I'm guessing that might be my problem. I do have a picture saved of the wiring diagram so that helps too.

TeamGeek6
09-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Yep, thatll do it every time. No power to the CDi. Look it over carfully before trashing it, might be something you can fix.