PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension conversion pulled from the fire.

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Okay, there is a little history here. You have to read this before you see the photographs.

Before I was as knowledgeable as I am not about trikes, I found this old YT 175 race trike in a salvage yard. I though it was a Tiger. I bought it for $25 and brought home a rusty yet a full rolling race chassis. I had no idea what I had found. I contacted Billy and told him I found a Tiger. He said I was wrong and it looked like more of an YT. I had no idea back then. I spoke to an old flat track racer that I met out of pure chance. He told me everything about this old trike is special. The front forks, the rear suspension, even the frame was all after market. While he and I were rolling it up to the garage at my house the frame collapsed. I agreed to sell it to this old racer because he said he could build a new frame. Later on he brought the chassis back to me and said he could not take on the project for various person reasons. Still unaware of how rare the parts actual are, I then sold it to a guy who really wanted to get into trikes, and wanted a restoration project.

Well, when I ran into him again, I knew what I had given up. So I talked him into selling it back to me. He said I could simply have it. What I picked up was hart breaking. He had cut the rear section off that threw the rest away. Then he cut the plus two axles up and threw away the three inch wheel spacers. And to add insult to injury, he simply threw the rest into a fire. What you see is all this is left.

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Okay, here are some photographs of what is left.

OldSchoolin86
09-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Why the hell did he cut it up? Was he slowly tossing it out with the garbage? That's horrible, I really feel for ya man.

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2005, 10:02 AM
I have no idea what in the hell this guy was thinking. He was so sencere in wanting to restore it. I will try and save as much as I can. I just hope that old Bilstien shock can be rebiult.

Blown 331
09-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Horrible for sure. At least you may be able to convert another 3-wheeler with those parts, too bad about the axle and spacers. But at least he didn't paint the whole thing silver.

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2005, 10:08 AM
But at least he didn't paint the whole thing silver. Huh :wondering

I do plan to salvage the rear suspension for a YT 175 I am getting from lomax. Let's hope the heat did not cause any structural damage.

42F67N
09-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Looking for another rear suspension tri moto 175? on ebay right now with no bids!

http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/01/e4/5d_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Tri-Moto-125-175-Trimoto_W0QQitemZ4577148551QQcategoryZ43981QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2005, 01:12 PM
That one is a lot better off then what I am trying to work with.

Lomax
09-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Thats terrible, I am going to pick up my Cannondale on Oct. 1st. Dee had a few trikes down there (a Suzuki 125, Kawi 250 Praire and 2 YT 175's.) He used to race the YT 175's back in the early 80's and was quite knowledgeable about them. I am going to try to talk him out of the pair that he has but he might know the location (or he may even have) a rear suspension kit for one. All he is going to use them for are pit bikes so if he does have a kit, He might would part with it. I say get the E-bay one and we'll just hope on Dee having something as well.
As for the guy that gave it back to you, even though it was free, I would suggest having his head examined, After you get done pounding on it.

42F67N
09-21-2005, 02:33 PM
sucks hes so far away or id try to buy it.

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2005, 02:43 PM
I think the guy has some drug enduced mental issues any way. He certainly at the time had more money than brains. He as all kinds of stuff just sitting around going to wast in his yard.

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey Blown, I just saw the thread you were refering to. All I can say is :crazy:

Trikeaholic
09-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Thats just a stock frame with a pro-tec suspension kit on it. Where did you get "custom frame" from?

hrc85250r
09-21-2005, 08:38 PM
dude dont worry about it....build your next one till there isnt anything else you can do to it, put at least one piece of the old trike on the new one. it will be the reincarnation of the old one, you can feel better about it after that....lol

LonesomeTriZ
09-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Thats just a stock frame with a pro-tec suspension kit on it. Where did you get "custom frame" from?

That old racer said it was an after market frame made from a lighter weight material. They were not very common back then, but they were experimenting with the idea. He said that is why it rusted so badly. The material was light weight, but more susceptible to corrosion. I agree the rear portion looks stock, but the forward portion did look different from the YT I later acquired. I can not verify anything for sure though.

LonesomeTriZ
09-22-2005, 08:25 AM
dude dont worry about it....build your next one till there isnt anything else you can do to it, put at least one piece of the old trike on the new one. it will be the reincarnation of the old one, you can feel better about it after that....lol

that is what I hope to do this this new YT I will be getting.

I doubt it will be as nice as Holic's though. ;)

Trikeaholic
09-25-2005, 11:23 AM
that is what I hope to do this this new YT I will be getting.

I doubt it will be as nice as Holic's though. ;)

awww stop it! Hey I did figure out the bearings and spacers for that swingarm when you need the info, let me know. :p

LonesomeTriZ
09-25-2005, 01:55 PM
I am ready now. Shoot me a PM with the information and I will start tracking them down. Thanks.

crackshot
09-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Throw that junk away. It is scrap now.

Trikeaholic
09-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Ok, the bearings I dont remember off hand, but i will get the info. Use a 7/16 x 5? (cant remember) hex head, and you need some tubing with a 5/8 OD, and close to 7/16 ID, put the bearings in the swinger, put the tubing through the bearings to close the hole up a little, then use the 7/16 hex head as your swingarm bolt. You will have to grind off the weld nut that USED to be for the chain adjuster on the stock YT. keep the old frame parts and look at how it was done. I can get you the tubing and the bearings if you need. Just sit tite and l will get the info from work.

LonesomeTriZ
09-25-2005, 05:16 PM
No way is it scrap. I will aork with it and make it nice again.

Holic, thanks for the information. I will stand by for more.

Trikeaholic
09-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Pm me your addy and I will just mail you the parts. Still want that 125 Bassani pipe?

crackshot
09-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Nice and heat treated now I suppose? Makes it stronger.

LonesomeTriZ
09-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Nice and heat treated now I suppose? Makes it stronger.

That does concern me, but i am going try it any way. It still appears to be structualy sound. Let's cross our fingers.

Hey Holic, My email address is lonesome00@hotmail.com.

Yeah, I am still interested in that Bassani. i sent you a message a while back about it. But I think I remember you saying you were getting rid of your Z. Let me know what you want, and I will see what I can do.

old-yellow
11-26-2009, 11:32 PM
I now this is a really old thread but I was wondering if you ever got a suspension YT going?

old-yellow
01-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Sorry to keep bugging you Lonesometriz but I was wondering if you ever used the heat treated swingarm to build a suspension YT?