PDA

View Full Version : Getting My First Trike, Yamaha 200e Shaft Info Needed

slowneasy
09-20-2005, 08:28 PM
hello im buying a yamaha 200e shaft trike soon was wondering if anyone can give me some info on this model and if its a good trike, how does it ride i noticed it does not have no rear suspension and was hoping it still rode decent will be using it mainly for fishing and hunting and just joy riding any info on this model will be appreciated, also any mods for this trike i own a couple of quads and hoping the trike will be fun to ride. planning a complete tear down this winter to get her ready for next summer. thanks kris

Yamahauler
09-20-2005, 09:13 PM
They are great trikes. The fully enclosed drive shaft is great. no chains to worry about.

They are a decent ride, kind of rough at high speeds, but since it is a utility, you dont really need to go too fast, I just like putting around, climbing hills, and towing with mine. So if your going to use yours for hunting and fishing it would be perfect.

With the 25 inch tires, if you keep about 3 or 4 pounds in them, it will soak up some bumbs.

They haul good, I pulled a bush out in the back yard with mine. They are easy to work on, electric start is very convinient as well.

All I can say is that their great bikes all around.

Were you planning on rebuilding the engine? I just did mine, the hardest part is pulling the rocker shafts out, they become stuck in there and you have to make a tool to pull them out. Be careful not to strip the threads on the inside of the rocker arm or you'll need a new head (it happened to me)

For mods, there isnt much, you can get a DG exhaust it isnt much of a differant over stock, but its cheaper. You see K&N filters on ebay the odd time as well. Thats all I know of.

Welcome to the board, and post some pics of the bike when you get some.

freewheel3
09-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Yes, they are good trikes. More of a workhorse type than a sport trike.
The first 3 gears are all pretty low. 1st gear is a stump puller, almost like a 250SX.
They do sit taller than a 200 Honda, so it can be a little tippy until you get used to it.
They have 25" tires & no rear suspension (as you mentioned), run the rear tires as low as you can to soften the ride a bit.
Electric start is nice to have. No reverse on that model though.
Service it up when you get it & make sure the rear diff oil is clean, otherwise you'll have problems with it in the future.
Post some pics when you get it. (pretty sure thats a law here on 3WW) lol.
And, Welcome to the board.

freewheel3
09-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Hmmm. I see Yamahauler beat me to it. I kept getting my favourite "The page cannot be displayed" :mad: message.

slowneasy
09-20-2005, 09:26 PM
thanks guys im really looking forward to getting it its at my buddys dads house about a five hour drive been sitting in his garage for a couple years seen it last month looks like new only problem is the tires are bad from sitting didnt try to start it want to drain and clean everything first his dad said it runs great, are they pretty good in the mud what would be a good set of tires for this? this one looks like they are just turf tires his dad said there the ones it came with when he bought it. thanks again kris

Yamahauler
09-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Kenda Bear Claws will get you through about anything!

Yamahauler
09-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Thats not a very good pic of the tires, try this one

350x'inNY
09-20-2005, 09:47 PM
If it's an 85, it might have reverse..... my 2 200E's both have reverse (200ERN's to be exact!)

Bruce

Yamahauler
09-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Dont the 85 200's have rear suspension though?

350x'inNY
09-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Dont the 85 200's have rear suspension though?

Nope.... Hardtails.... non of the 200's had suspension... just the 225DX/DR's

polarisatvdude
08-26-2008, 01:54 PM
my dad has an old yamaha ytm 200 trike that has been sitting under our deck for several years i know that the cables for the brakes,the throttle and the shifter are either frozen or partly frozen and i beleive the tires are rotted or flat (he used to use it for ice fishing snd put screws in the tires to get better traction) i have a working knowledge of mechanical work but i have never worked on a trike or atv before this is my first trike and i am just wondering where a good place to start is

225DX DUDE
08-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Talk about bringing an old thread back to life. I would clean the carb.

Taiser
08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
I had an 83 YTM200EK. Here's what I'd watch for...

Don't overrev the bike. The valve tappets are recessed in the head with NO bearings, only thing keeping them cushioned is oil. You'll know if the bike has been revved hard as the valves will make a large steady "tick" that gets louder as the revs go up. Adjusting the valve lash will do squat.

Basically if you overrev the engine the valves will "float" and cause the lifters to make the mounts elongated. Only way to fix it is to get a new head (ask me how I know :( 565$ about 20 years ago!!!) and replace the lifters. Now when I mean overrev I mean big time, just don't floor it in first of second trying to get out of a swamp lol

If you get oversized tires, watch the exhaust. I had Wooly Boogers on mine, and thought I thought they cleared, everytime I hit a bump the tire would flex and touch the muffler, no big deal until one day it got loud...it had worn right through it!!! I put a bit more air in the tires...about 3.5 lbs but it was too rough, so I finally installed spacers.

Aside from those problems this bike was a tank and a submarine!!! Water up to the gas tank never faded it, the engine, clicking as it did never died and I worked it hard pulling firewood. I replaced the auto clutch in mine once (highly abused), the engine head (too much reving) and the stator coil but that was it and this was a highly abused machine...not too shabby, I'd love to get one like it again, more for nostalgia than anything else :D !

Taiser
08-26-2008, 03:43 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!

I never looked at the date on the thread! LOL

polarisatvdude
08-26-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks man i really apreciate the help i was also wondering if you happened to know if the ytm 200 is a shaft drive or not?

polarisatvdude
08-26-2008, 03:59 PM
i see your a fan of the ATC 110 my friend has one and he loves it we have beat the s**t out of that trike and it still runs like the day he got it ,
Ya my dad used to love that trike to, it hasnt been rideable in years i think the last time i rode it i was about 3,is gonna need a lot of work and all the cables for the throttle ,brakes,and the shifter pedal is semi frozen i can push the pedal down to go into first and pull it up back into neutral but i cant pul it further than that.

thefox
08-26-2008, 06:10 PM
thanks man i really apreciate the help i was also wondering if you happened to know if the ytm 200 is a shaft drive or not?

YTM200 is chain drive
YTM200E is shaft drive (electric start)
YTM 200ERN is shaft drive (Electric start and reverse)

polarisatvdude
08-26-2008, 06:39 PM
does the ytm 200e comewith electric start or is it capable of having one?

freewheel3
08-26-2008, 09:47 PM
does the ytm 200e comewith electric start or is it capable of having one?

The YTM200E came stock with electric start.

polarisatvdude
08-28-2008, 08:58 PM
anybody know where i can get a cheap set of yamaha 3 wheeler tires?

Hanginloose4now
03-03-2010, 03:59 AM
I have an 85 ytm 200E and its been a monster ever since i got it. Few things I've done...

Bought the whole air filter assembly.
Put new tires on (kenda pathfinders) work great
Replaced the pull start assembly because the big main starter spring broke, so i just replaced everything instead of just the main and smaller springs, pulls easy as hell!

Guess the next step is the oils right?
Not exactly sure where the motor oil drain plug is.... Theres a big 3/4" bolt on the left side of the motor near the bottom?
Different oil is in the case on the left? I can see some kinda screw on top and on bottom? is it that obvious?
I was looking to get a battery to hook up... any idea exactly how many wires will hook up to it? i know theres a headlight, tail lght, and a starter button by the handlebars.. not sure if they all hook up at the battery or?

Any other important tips or guidelines to follow would be greatly appreciated and Id be more than happy to help anyone with what ive know..

85 YTM 200E (shaft)

bvmeggel
03-12-2010, 07:44 PM
can someone tell me how to replace the rear diff. oil on the yamaha 200e shaft drive? i beleive mine is a early mid 80's model...and on that topic does anyone know where to find decent tires for this bike?

bvmeggel
03-12-2010, 11:54 PM
could someone tell me how to replace the oil in the rear diff. on the 200e? and possibly what type of oil to use

MonroeMike
03-13-2010, 12:13 AM
This should answer your questions.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf

jakerr124
04-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Excuse me but does anyone know where i can get a decent set of racks for my YTM200E
thanks...

rabid
04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.greenjaydigital.com/work/images/i_vitaminwater_left.jpg

Baird
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
perfect im gunna bring this back i have a 200e that wont start any ideas whats wrong? i cleaned the carb and fresh gas