PDA

View Full Version : 84 250r Fifth Gear Problem

bebeav
09-19-2005, 10:08 PM
hi everybody,

it's been 2 weeks that i'm running my totally rebuild R and everything was working great.

Now since my last ride when i shift my fifth gear the trike slow down like it was braking and i can't get any power out of the gear even if i top the fourth gear and then shift into fifth it will slow down till it stall (didn't keep it to stall since i found this terribly anormal).

it doesn't seem to make any horrible sound exept maybe a rubbing sound when i'm in fifth gear.

what i was asking is what should i look for when i'll tear it up again?

ALP
Beav

max
09-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Sounds Like Something In The Trans Is Binding Up. Mabey A Bent Shift Fork Or Worn Out Synchro. Did You Actually Have 5th Up Until This Last Ride?
Max

bebeav
09-20-2005, 06:52 PM
i still got it, i can shift into fifth but it's just slow down. i think i'll tear it up tomorow to see what's going on under that little beast.

ALP
Beav

max
09-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Im Pretty Sure I Had The Same Problem. Mine Would Only Go Into 5th Sometimes, But It Did Slow It Down (bind). I Accidentaly Put The 5th Synchro Upside Down So It Wouldnt Fully Engage. When You Split The Cases The Synchro Will Be Toward The Top. I Cant Remember Wether It Was On The Main Or Countershaft. Spin The Gears And Push The Synchro Up And The Fingers On The Synchro Should Go Into The Holes On The 5th Gear. My Best Guess Is That If You Had The Engine Apart This Could Easily Have Been Your Mistake.
Max

Get Some Pics When You Get It Apart

TeamGeek6
09-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Before going to all the trouble to split the cases, take the sprocket off and rotate the output shaft by hand (ratchet) while shifting through the gears, just in case its not trans and its something in the chassis. If its bad enough to slow the vehicle down, you should be able to feel it in the shaft.

max
09-21-2005, 11:34 AM
But If It Where Something With The Chassi Or Brakes It Would Slow Down/bind In The Other Gears.

TeamGeek6
09-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Realize that the speed is building into 5th gear and if a bearing has excess friction, the heat build with speed can force it to start seizing. Its called "thermal runaway" Could easily be axle bearings. Bearings are very speed sensitive.

Its too simple a test to not try.