PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Replating?

hondatrikesrule22
09-19-2005, 09:04 PM
How much does cylinder replating go for? Do you have to replate every time you bore the cylinder?

daputz
09-19-2005, 09:28 PM
I've personally never had a cyl replated, but I have heard great things about these guy's Max Power (http://www.maxpower-engines.com/default.htm). I have talked with them, and they are very straight forward and more then happy to answer questions.

oddball3
09-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Millenium Technology does our snowmobile cylinders. Send them the new piston with your cylinder and they set the clearances.

hondatrikesrule22
09-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Ok, I just heard that it can be upwards of $200 to have a cylinder replated, not cool. :mad: I am thinking about having the cylinder re-sleeved with a steel liner instead. Reason being, I have a standard bore piston kit sitting here, and I wouldn't have to bore my cylinder and re-plate it.And, I can bore it later and not worry about replating. Any opinions? Can someone point me in the right direction?

MTS
09-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Why are you replating it? is the bore scared or plating wrecked? it takes ALOT of time to wear out a plated top end and they do not have to be bored out eveyrtime you rebuild it....

oddball3
09-19-2005, 10:15 PM
If you currently have a plated cylinder, and have it resleeved with an iron cylinder you will have to get new rings anyway.

sblt500r
09-20-2005, 01:30 PM
if you get it sleeved with a new steel liner it will cost you about the same amount. $80 to $100 for a sleeve and then other $100 to have the sleeve installed. and supposably a plated cylinder is a better cylinder. dissapates heat faster through the cylinder.

Blown 331
09-20-2005, 01:31 PM
What kind of plating are you refering to? Nikasil?

Red Rider
09-20-2005, 01:53 PM
supposably a plated cylinder is a better cylinder. dissapates heat faster through the cylinder.There's also less friction & the plated surface is harder than a standard steel sleeve. All this comes at a cost though.

What kind of plating are you refering to? Nikasil?
Yes, that's correct.

hondatrikesrule22
09-20-2005, 01:54 PM
if you get it sleeved with a new steel liner it will cost you about the same amount. $80 to $100 for a sleeve and then other $100 to have the sleeve installed. and supposably a plated cylinder is a better cylinder. dissapates heat faster through the cylinder.

I was qouted $88 for a L.A. sleeve. Ct racing will sleeve my cylinder for $150.I think that includes the sleeve, I am not sure. I probably should have it re-plated, but every time the top-end goes, I will have to pay $200 if the plating was damaged. I will spend more money that way. This way, I will also have a fresh cylinder, and I can have it bored without re-plating it.

Red Rider
09-20-2005, 02:05 PM
I probably should have it re-plated, but every time the top-end goes, I will have to pay $200 if the plating was damaged. I will spend more money that way.You're looking at the situation all wrong. It is true that it'll cost more to repair "if" the top-end goes, so don't let it go. My cylinder is Nikasil plated, so I use that as a scare tactic to make sure it's jetted properly, because I don't want to buy a whole new cylinder or have to go through the replating process. And if you're putting so many hours on the same old piston that the piston finally lets go, you need to change it a little more frequently.

90nut
09-20-2005, 05:35 PM
You can actually just hone your cylinder that you have now even though it is plated and it wont really hurt anything. I have done that before. But the plated cylinder does have its advantages like people above have stated. If you run a clean and oiled air filter, and tear your top end off every so many hrs.(like whatever is recomended in your service manual) and your bore is in good shape and the piston isn't all scuffed up, which it shouldn't be if you do the recomemded inspection at the correct intervals, If the bore and piston is fine just put a new set of rings on and you are good to go. I had the cylinder replated on my old yz 125 and it lasted until I sold it and that was a good 3 yrs. All i did to it was ter the top end off every 25-30 hrs or so and check everything out and install new rings on the piston. Oh and had a squeaky clean air filter in it all the time.