PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Scrambler three-wheeler Help

StephenG
09-19-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm looking at an old Polaris Scrambler three-wheeler,
It runs but it needs a little work.
How much are these things worth? How much would you pay for one like this?
I know nothering about these, but the kind of look old and Ugly :crazy: :TrikesOwn but I like them Lol.
Pleas help ASAP I need to make a decision right off

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Tri-ZNate
09-19-2005, 08:23 AM
I would seriously get it. For what I understand they are very cousiony and think about it, its the only trike with an automatic transmission. If it is below $800 I'd get it.

Howdy
09-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Price / value depends on what is wrong with it. I have a couple P3's and also have 3 factory shop manuals for them.
From what I have found:
The most costly fix is the Tranny
The most common problem is the Electric Starter. It also is a royal pain in the keester to fix. The machine gets 1/2 tore down just to get the starter out. A true Royal pain, been there fixed that!!
Howdy

Trackburger
09-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Keep in mind parts may not be as easy to find or as cheap as other trikes.

Howdy
09-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Keep in mind parts may not be as easy to find or as cheap as other trikes.

This is for darn sure. The rear brake cable is $65 or so from Polaris ( I can't find a aftermarket one either ).
My 2nd P3 has been waiting on a affordable Tranny, headlight and a few other parts. I am also waiting for a package from Germany with swing arm bushings. All my P3's need them and my Good Friend in Germany hasn't told me if he is going to make the replacements yet ( Polaris Discontinued them ). The good news is he has a complete set of new ones to copy from ( thanks to me ). ;)
Howdy

StephenG
09-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Here's a pic of it.
I think I can get it for pretty cheep.
I need to get some rear tires for it.
What bolt pat are they? Are the same as a Yamaha or Honda.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/StephenG/P9170015.jpg

edog
09-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Here it is.

straight pipe
09-19-2005, 09:49 AM
my bud has one and they go like stink. super soft ride and no shifting. gota keep it away from puddles though, the belt case is cracked.....cheaper the better

edog
09-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Hope you like? :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :) :)

straight pipe
09-19-2005, 09:51 AM
WOW!! edog that thing is mint!

StephenG
09-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Wow that's a nice one!!!!!!
What would you guy's give for the one i'm looking at ??

edog
09-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Easy grand for shure.

Banage
09-19-2005, 12:04 PM
i dont know about polaris 3 wheelers, but every polaris i have rode on and with, breakes down and my honda 200 ends up towing it back

Tri-ZNate
09-19-2005, 12:38 PM
$250 if it runs

Howdy
09-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Easy grand for shure.

No way is it worth a Grand. I would say it's worth $150 and $450. It all depends on: if the Tranny is good, If it runs, If the electric starter works, ect.

I have 3 of these machines and The most I have given for one was $500 and it came with a bunch of goodies and was delivered to me ( 135 miles one way ). I don't have pictures of my 2nd or 3rd P3, but here is the first one in the condition I got it. I did some trading with Jeswinehart for it. I think John gave arouns $250-$300 for it and it was pretty much complete. It ran but needed the electric starter fixed and put back together.

http://files.3wheelerworld.com/3WWHaspinSep2002/Haspin9x02Picture112HowdyPolaris.jpg

A Polaris Dealer offered more than I paid for this machine ( right after I got it ). I couldn't and wouldn't sell it because I bought it for my Wife. It's funny because I have put 100's of miles on it, she has only rode it maybe 20-30 miles total. lol But now I have my own and we can ride as a team. ;)

FYI, I also have the most awesome Triple tree on P3 #1, It was Custom made by my German Friend. ;)

I'm not particularly wanting to sell my extra set of rear tires and wheels. But money does talk ( mine always tells me "Good Bye!" lmao).

Howdy

Blown 331
09-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I want one of those! I've never seen one in person. We've had a couple trail boss 4X4's and they were junk but I want one anyway. lol.

Howdy
09-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I want one of those! I've never seen one in person. We've had a couple trail boss 4X4's and they were junk but I want one anyway. lol.

Come to TF06 and you can test ride one. But I must warn you that once you ride it you will REALLY want one bad. To me they are the smoothest riding 3 wheeler I have ever rode, and the power isn't that bad either. In a straight line it will beat a 83-85 200x ( both Stock machines ). You have to remember the Polaris Scrambler also weighs in at 380+ lbs ( per Factory Spec's ). Thats a lot of weight for a 244cc motor to pull around, but it does so without any problems!

Howdy

hrc85250r
09-19-2005, 04:43 PM
to everybody that is dissing polaris. number one, ALL polaris' suck to work on, but are pretty straight forward as to tearing them down and putting them back together. second i have NEVER seen or heard of one breaking down in good hands, i have seen them blown up or falling apart and breaking down, but that only happens when they get in crackhead and/or redneck's hands and they get whooped and not taken care of, ive even seen people burn them up by not putting oil in the oil tank(injector). also, all of the atv magazines say they may not be the best atvs ever, but they are a tank and will never let you down.

Blown 331
09-19-2005, 04:55 PM
to everybody that is dissing polaris. number one, ALL polaris' suck to work on, but are pretty straight forward as to tearing them down and putting them back together. second i have NEVER seen or heard of one breaking down in good hands, i have seen them blown up or falling apart and breaking down, but that only happens when they get in crackhead and/or redneck's hands and they get whooped and not taken care of, ive even seen people burn them up by not putting oil in the oil tank(injector). also, all of the atv magazines say they may not be the best atvs ever, but they are a tank and will never let you down.

LOL. I think both of ours were previously owned by crack heads. :w00t: They were horrible, I could make quite a list of everything that was/went wrong with them. Like I said I still want a 3-wheeler and I may have to take Howdy up on the test ride.

Edit: What is the story behind the Yamaha looking front end?

ATCwithdrawals
09-19-2005, 08:15 PM
I agree with howdy on the price. I was told that the 1985 trailboss 4wheeler was the same machine except of course the front end,which is basically a yamaha front end{tire,forks,triples,front rack}I have one that I bought and it was all disassembled with good seat,fenders,bad motor.I give $140 which I thought at the time was too much, but it was the only one I had found that was almost complete after several years of looking for one. So they are some what rare. The tank emblems are rarer than chicken teeth. So have fun trying to find some.

PS. I will post a pic of the scrambler that my friend has restored{this thing is oem showroom restored} I will take a pic of it next week at the show.

Howdy
09-19-2005, 08:16 PM
LOL. I think both of ours were previously owned by crack heads. :w00t: They were horrible, I could make quite a list of everything that was/went wrong with them. Like I said I still want a 3-wheeler and I may have to take Howdy up on the test ride.

Edit: What is the story behind the Yamaha looking front end?

The Yamaha Looking front end is just that. IT is a Yamaha 225 front end ( for the most part ). The biggest difference is the Polaris fender is Black / Dark Blue, while the Yamaha is Yellow ( or Black on the Special 225 models ).

here is another link to gauge the Trikes worth: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4571848742&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

If edog was correct and it was worth $1000 then this one would have sold. But it didn't, it ended at $290. The last good one I seen on ebay sold for around $600 or so.
Howdy

edog
09-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Howdy,i was talking about the one that i posted pics of.Is that the one you mean?

daputz
09-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Those pics bring back memories, there was a polaris dealer down the road from me when I was growing up. The owner was cool enough to let us kids sit on them .................. but never test ride :(

Tri-ZNate
09-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I was told that the 1985 trailboss 4wheeler was the same machine except of course the front end,which is basically a yamaha front end{tire,forks,triples,front rack}

I dont know if the R/es 4 wheelers is the trailboss but the R/es quads are the same thing but different front end.

Howdy
09-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi Howdy,i was talking about the one that i posted pics of.Is that the one you mean?

edog, No offence intended, but I wouldn't give more than $600-$650 at best for that P3. Why not?
The gas tank has been painted blue ( wrong color and a crappy paint job at that, a lot of over spray ).
The gas tank plates are missing.
It looks like either the swing arm bushings are bad, Tranny mounts are busted or the frame / swing arm is bent ( Mine looks the same way from behind right now because the bushings are bad. Just the bushings and required parts is $115+ ).
The front rack is missing.
The seat Cover has a bad spot.
And I am sure I could pick out a few more things, plus there could be engine or tranny issues. I would have to ride it to be able to know for sure. lol ). Anyhow, just the stuff listed above would probably cost $2-300 to fix ( if you can even find the parts ).

Now I don't want to run the machine in the ground either. It's a P# and it has a lot of potential to be restored. I would mind having it so that I could make it look good again. But I sure as heck can't afford another one right now ( unless it's CHEAP ).

Howdy

StephenG
09-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.
I think I'm going to pass on it.
If anyone wants the number to the Guy, P.M me and I would be happy to give it to you. He is asking $250 OBO.

Thanks

Blown 331
09-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.
I think I'm going to pass on it.
If anyone wants the number to the Guy, P.M me and I would be happy to give it to you. He is asking $250 OBO.

Thanks

If that was closer I'd scoop it up!

Howdy
09-20-2005, 01:51 PM
If that was closer I'd scoop it up!

I probably would do the same. There is enough there to get my other P3's up and going. But 1000 miles one way would break the bank.
Howdy

StephenG
09-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I should buy it, but I have to many projects right now. :cry:
:crazy: This is the only one I have ever seen in my area.

thefox
09-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Well maybe you can get the parts you need Howdy. http://cgi.ebay.com/MID-80S-POLARIS-SCRAMBLER-250-ATC-THREE-WHEELER-PARTS_W0QQitemZ7183774181QQcategoryZ310QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

StephenG
09-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Well maybe you can get the parts you need Howdy. http://cgi.ebay.com/MID-80S-POLARIS-SCRAMBLER-250-ATC-THREE-WHEELER-PARTS_W0QQitemZ7183774181QQcategoryZ310QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

:eek: :( That’s the bike I was looking at.

:cry: I guess Some must die so others can live.

Howdy
09-21-2005, 07:45 AM

If it wasn't so darn far away ( aprox 1000 miles one way ). With my truck the cost of gas alone would be around $400 ( round trip ). Yes, I could really use the machine. If I had it here I would see which machines need the least amount of work and then use the worst one for parts to fix the others. Another option would be to have someone pick it up and ship it to me. But the shipping cost may out weigh the value. argggggggggggg
Howdy

DUDLYB
09-21-2005, 10:58 AM
I have one that is for sale is about as nice as then one edog found, but mine is complete and every thing works. the front brake shoes are gone but the cable still works. Would really like to sell it!

madisonsdaddy99
09-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Tell me more DudlyB... I am in MN and interested in what you have there. Any pics?

DUDLYB
09-21-2005, 02:02 PM
I have it for sale right now for 1200.00 or best offer. I am willing to deal. I don't know what else to tell you. It is all complete as far as I can tell. It even has the orginal tool kit and owners manuel. I don't have pics. If you have questions I will try to answer.

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I hate seeing such a rare trike getting parted and abused like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MID-80S-POLARIS-SCRAMBLER-250-ATC-THREE-WHEELER-PARTS_W0QQitemZ7183774181QQcategoryZ310QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

LonesomeTriZ
09-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Never mind, I just found a thread some one else started about this trike.