PDA

View Full Version : Removing 250r Swingarm Bolt Question

Aussieduner
09-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Im sure someone has crossed this bridge but whats the easiest method to remove a 1985 250r swingarm bolt that is refusing to come out ?
Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Aussieduner

69HemiGTX
09-19-2005, 08:51 AM
I have had the unpleasant experience of taking a seized bolt out, and it was a nightmare! My buddy and I eventually broke down and bought a piece of solid steel rod that was slightly smaller than the bolt's diameter. A big hammer, a lot of small hits, and patience got it out. Use a heavy hammer (F = M(A) you know :D), and don't swing it too hard. Trying to get it out in three or four wacks will only mushroom the bolt and steel rod, so be patient. Upon re-assembly, a liberal coating of anti-sieze is the minimum to avoid any future hassles. Me personally, I will never use a mild steel bolt ever again. It's all stainless for me!

Blown 331
09-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Mine was tough too. I used an air hammer and kept going back and forth, still took about an hour! I replaced the factory bearings with richards bushings, I recommend those. www.richardsbushings.com

TeamGeek6
09-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Yep, lack of patience and youll need a cutting torch :eek:

I had to rotate mine round and round and use penetrating oil. Remove the O-rings (4 places) that seal the swingarm to the frame and squirt penetrating oil (PB Blaster is the best Ive ever found, or machining oil) down into the bolt. The O - rings are on each side of each "fork" (for lack of a better word) held in by a stamped steel washer (dish shaped washer). Several hour job :(

Thing I want to know is why cant a grease zerk be put in each end of that shaft, with small holes drilled in the bolt to lube that assy? That would stop all this rusting nonsense.

trikezilla
09-19-2005, 05:08 PM
LOL...seized bolts are pains. If it makes any of you feel better, I have literally been hitting mine for close to 2 months (not quite). John..lol If you read this: I am still whcking on mine, but when I get her out I will PM you about the new machined one.

Maybe its time i break down and buy a saw-z-all?? lol

jeswinehart
09-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Thing I want to know is why cant a grease zerk be put in each end of that shaft, with small holes drilled in the bolt to lube that assy? That would stop all this rusting nonsense.[/QUOTE]

I put zirks all around my 350x and have never been sorry in doing so.

Those old post are easy to find ,,, at the top of all pages is "search".
Put in anything you want to know about and if it has been talked about on 3ww it will come up.

john

ibbone2002
01-09-2006, 05:11 PM
try using a press and a hardened steel bar. a shop press can be rigged to fit over the bike when laid on it's side. sounds tougher than it really is.

mikey's250sx
01-09-2006, 05:40 PM
i took a grinder to a big center punch so it fit into the little hole on the end of the bolt and whacked away with a 3lb sledge.

250rAL
01-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Thing I want to know is why cant a grease zerk be put in each end of that shaft, with small holes drilled in the bolt to lube that assy? That would stop all this rusting nonsense.

That's exactly what I did. I welded a nut into one end that I threaded a zerk into. I tapped the other end, then drove a bolt into it and cut it off flush. Two small holes drilled where the bushings ride finished the job.

ChrisD
01-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I cut both of mine out with a sawsall. Then replaced all of the hardware and make sure that I take them apart every couple years, re-grease them and make sure they come apart.

cragster
01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
we were having some trouble on my 200x(86). We got the right nut off but the left is completly stripped. Also does it thread out orjust hammer out? If it threads we will weld an old wrench to the left bolt head/nut to turn it out!

x.system
01-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I've always used heat. I heat up the swingarm ends once, get it good and hot but not cherry red then let it cool. Then I heat it up again and hit the bolt a couple times while I turn it and it has always come out fairly easy. Bearings and seals will have to be replaced but they would have needed it anyway if the bolts stuck. Heating it up the first time breaks the rust loose, the second time the bolt should come out without destroying the ends. I think the grease zerk idea is a good one unless you are doing some serious jumping then I don't know if I would trust it.

Blown 331 Mine was tough too. I used an air hammer and kept going back and forth, still took about an hour! I replaced the factory bearings with richards bushings, I recommend those. www.richardsbushings.com

That link isn't working for me. I was looking for some of those for my lonestar swinger. Got any other locations to buy those?