PDA

View Full Version : how to extend a 88trx swinger

3leggeddog
09-18-2005, 07:55 PM
any suggestions on how to extend my swinger?it's a little to short for the kind of power my bike makes.i would like to extend it but not sure where to cut and weld it.anyone done this?thanks in advance

x.system
09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Extending them is hard as they are aluminum and are not the greatest design, they crack easyly at the pivot section. Extending one in my opinion would be even worse. I've had a few shortened and we do it just in front of the carrier housing, I would think you would want to extend it in the same location so you don't mess with the ride height. I don't know how much longer you want it but a stock 86/87 is 1 inch longer than the stock 88/89 and will work with minimum effort.

RedRider_AK
09-18-2005, 11:15 PM
You're not going to extend them by hand, ever. Just buy a new/preused one

honda200
09-18-2005, 11:21 PM
You're not going to extend them by hand, ever. Just buy a new/preused one

I concur, my co worker has a 1987 TRX 250R with an 86 ATC 250R motor in it, and he extended his swinger himself in a weekend

next time his bike is in our shop, i will take a few pics of you, i think you will like it...

Curtis

RedRider_AK
09-18-2005, 11:28 PM
I concur, my co worker has a 1987 TRX 250R with an 86 ATC 250R motor in it, and he extended his swinger himself in a weekend

You've quite a friend there, Curtis. I wonder if I can rent him for a year or two... :D

Billy Golightly
09-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Alot of people extend stock swingarms, its not any real big deal.

Brandon, I'm not really sure what to tell you. The 88-89 R swingarm from what I remember uses a lot of oddball shaped and sized pieces of aluminum that are casted and then welded together. Might make finding a piece of tubing and welding it in a little bit more difficult. Things to keep in mind is, any extension added behind the shock mount without re-locating it is going add to your ride height. If you add infront of the shock mount you'll probably end up also raising it, because the angle of the arm is gonna be in such a posistion that its more vertical then horizontal for the suspension linkage to fit and work. Know what I mean? I'd reccomend doing like what x.system said, stretch it back by the carrier and then do something about the shock mounting to get the ride height back down where it needs to be. An extension in the bottom shock linkage that goes to the frame might work? Hard to figure it all without looking at it.

3leggeddog
09-19-2005, 05:41 PM
i would not mind a little more ride height,because the shorter swinger makes it sit lower.
i thought this would be great for mx but the bike is too hard to hold on too.it is really balanced because of the weight loss,but wants to wheelie constintly.the trx swinger looks trick on the trike as well,and is better designed the stocker.if i can cut and weld in front of the carrier that would simplfy the process.so Billy,you think it will raise the ride height either way?if i get an adjustable link dog bone this will compesate and allow mw to set it just right.so ride height is no problem,but strength is my other concern.i jump this thing far and high,and do not want to break a swinger.do yuo guys think thats an issue.our machinest does an excellent job but i'm not sure how to make this withstand the jumpa and not look like poop with alot of extra bracing.

x.system
09-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't be to worried about it cracking where its extended, I would watch the pivot bolt section. Did you cut the swinger to fit in your trike or did you add the extra motor mount to the frame?

If you plan to race and jump I would not use a stock 88/89 style, it will crack garanteed. I've weighed stock for stock on the swingarms and you are only loosing a couple pounds, by the time you lengthen a 88 it will end up weighing as much or more as a stock 85/87 style. Save yourself a headache and buy an aftermarket swinger built for mx. An aftermarket swinger will weigh even less than the 88 stock swinger. Just my opinion.

brapp
09-19-2005, 10:48 PM
i have a hre swing arm for a 88-89 trx thats a -1 that can be cut and extended and nice rectangle chromoly steel tubing. pretty easy to extend. let me know if your interewsted i'll let it go for like 65 plus shipping.

3leggeddog
09-20-2005, 07:33 PM
stock swinger?or a aftermarket -1?

X,i fabed up a new lower motor mount so i did not take away the strength on the swinger.it's not just the weight but the look and design i prefer as well.