PDA

View Full Version : pipe repair and plus 6" axle

tecatecrazy
09-17-2005, 02:29 PM
About a year ago, I found a kit for repairing dents in exhaust pipes but decided to pass on it since the kit cost more than a complete new exhaust (upwards of $200). well I decided to make my own "kit" and it worked great. I plugged off both ends of the pipe and pressurized them to around 80psi and heated the dents with torch. I had eight dents in three pipes and seven of them came out great. only the DG pipe refused to come out fully but it still looks way better than it did.

I also got around to finally putting on my extended axle. not sure of the make but it could definatly pass for a factory part as it looks very much like a stocker the way it is tapered and what not. anyway heres the pics

Blown 331
09-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Cool! How did you plug the ends of the pipes?

tecatecrazy
09-17-2005, 03:47 PM
on the small end I used a 3/4"ip 3-piece compression coupling and on the big end I clamped a piece of steel and rubber tight against the end. once you got pressure one pipe and begin applying heat the dent will come out in less than thirty seconds. in the pic below you can see how I attached air to the 1" end of the pipe

BigGreenMachine
09-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Neat trick for sure. Been a while since you've posted too. Do I spy black plastic on your bike?

tecatecrazy
09-18-2005, 04:16 PM
yeah, I dont post much anymore, just lurk alittle. I thru on my junk plastic so as not to destroy the good stuff. It doesnt look as nice but it does the job and it doesnt bother me to beat on it some.

Joe

RedRider_AK
09-18-2005, 04:34 PM
dents in your pipe make a two-stroke perform worse, right?

BigGreenMachine
09-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Makes anything perform worse.

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Very neat trick tecatecrazy, i'll have to try that sometime. How hot did you have to get it? Red hot, or just hot?

What I do to get dents out is weld a bolt or something to the center of the dent, pull it out, then cut the bolt off and grind it down.

RedRider_AK
09-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Makes anything perform worse.

4-Strokes too? I didn't know that.