PDA

View Full Version : Engine take long to idle

pboivin007
09-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Hi

Excuse me for my poor english! The engine on my '84 Honda 200S take a lot of time to idle (30-60 seconds) after I push the throtle. I have read in other thread about air leak and the trick with the carb cleaner. I have sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and the engine won't react. It began after I reinstall the carb (I send it for cleanup). I guess they didn't replace mixture adjustment screw at the exact same position. After 30-60 seconds delay, it idle at a normal speed. Is the mixture adjustment screw, the one on the side or the one top-down in front of the carb? On page 21 of http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/pdfs/atcspecsreference.pdf it's written 2 1/4 turns out, and the next page say 1 1/2 turns out. Is one of this for the mixture screw?

PS: I promise I won't laugh (loud) anymore when people are having problem with their computers (my job)! :lol:

MTS
09-16-2005, 08:35 PM
are you sure you didnt jam a seal under the cap that screws into the carb after you put it back on?

freewheel3
09-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi

Excuse me for my poor english! The engine on my '84 Honda 200S take a lot of time to idle (30-60 seconds) after I push the throtle. I have read in other thread about air leak and the trick with the carb cleaner. I have sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and the engine won't react. It began after I reinstall the carb (I send it for cleanup). I guess they didn't replace mixture adjustment screw at the exact same position. After 30-60 seconds delay, it idle at a normal speed. Is the mixture adjustment screw, the one on the side or the one top-down in front of the carb? On page 21 of http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/pdfs/atcspecsreference.pdf it's written 2 1/4 turns out, and the next page say 1 1/2 turns out. Is one of this for the mixture screw?

PS: I promise I won't laugh (loud) anymore when people are having problem with their computers (my job)! :lol:
Don't worry about your english, it's alot better than my french.
The idle mixture screw is the one on the underside of the front of the carb.
Try 2 turns out & adjust it either direction until you find the best idle.
The other one is the idle speed screw.
I've never tried carb cleaner to check for air leaks, only ether or propane.
Make sure there is sufficient freeplay in the throttle cable, this might be causing your problem if it is set too tight. (if you're lucky)

pboivin007
09-16-2005, 09:53 PM
are you sure you didnt jam a seal under the cap that screws into the carb after you put it back on?

I only seen an o-ring made in rubber between the carb and the engine. This o-ring looks good. Are you talking about something else?

pboivin007
09-16-2005, 10:03 PM
The idle mixture screw is the one on the underside of the front of the carb.
Try 2 turns out & adjust it either direction until you find the best idle.
The other one is the idle speed screw.
I've never tried carb cleaner to check for air leaks, only ether or propane.
Make sure there is sufficient freeplay in the throttle cable, this might be causing your problem if it is set too tight. (if you're lucky)

The trick with the carb cleaner is to spray at every possible leak. If the engine slow down, you found where is the leak. I will try tomorrow to adjust the mixture. I need first to buy a tiny flat screwdriver (I burned myself by trying with a coin!). The throtle cable looks okay. Do you think it is wise to put WD-40 at the end that enter the carbs?

freewheel3
09-16-2005, 10:03 PM
I think he meant the cap on top of the carb.

pboivin007
09-17-2005, 01:26 PM
By playing with the mixture screw, I bring down the delay to 2-3 seconds! :w00t:

I've done about 7-8 turns before I reach the top.