PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this Tri-Z?

RedRider_AK
09-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Well, this guy in my town has an old Tri-Z that I never see running, and I was thinking whether or not to buy it... he says the rear brakes need new pads, the shocks (front and back) are blown out, and it has the 5-speed gearbox on it. Also, the handlebars are bent and the fenders are all torn up and patched. He wants $1000-$1500 for it, but you must remember that I live in Alaska, so it takes a lot of money to ship any sort of machine up here. He said that he would include a whole new bottom end with it, with a 6-speed gearbox...

Is this worth my money?

p.s. I've also seen an '81 to '84 ATC250R, sans pipe and carb, in some guy's back yard, so I'm thinking about that too.

Troll 2
09-15-2005, 08:00 AM
I'll say go for the R at a lower price........................... :TrikesOwn

jsimonh
09-15-2005, 10:23 AM
I have a Tri Z and love it, but 1000-1500 is alot of money for one in the shape your talking about. How much does it cost to ship up there? Most nice looking Z's sell for around 1000 in my area with R's going for 1200-1800. Check e-bay for all the different sport trikes (350x, Z, Tecate, R) maybe you'll get lucky and find something already up there. :beer

so-cal
09-15-2005, 10:25 AM
sounds a little high even for alaska, I lived in girdwood from 97 to 03, and I found prices slightly above average unless they are super clean and running really well. I realize shipping is alot more to where you are but I would not pay that much for a project 85. Half that amount sounds about right if thats really the model you want.

RedRider_AK
09-17-2005, 04:29 PM
I have a Tri Z and love it, but 1000-1500 is alot of money for one in the shape your talking about. How much does it cost to ship up there? Most nice looking Z's sell for around 1000 in my area with R's going for 1200-1800. Check e-bay for all the different sport trikes (350x, Z, Tecate, R) maybe you'll get lucky and find something already up there. :beer:

Put it this way: I live in Nome, and we only get air-frieght shipping up here. My dad got me an ATC 110 about 2 years ago, and the shipping from Anchorage to Nome (about 500 miles) was $350, and the 110 itself was only $200! I've been checking eBay a lot, but every auction I've seen would have cost me at least $600 - $800 for shipping alone, and I want a runner, so that would be like $1500 to $2000 for a bad quality one... thanks anyway, and you've just made me remember about the 350X, and I actually have parts for one! w00t!

:beer:

RedRider_AK
09-17-2005, 04:32 PM
sounds a little high even for alaska, I lived in girdwood from 97 to 03, and I found prices slightly above average unless they are super clean and running really well. I realize shipping is alot more to where you are but I would not pay that much for a project 85. Half that amount sounds about right if thats really the model you want.

Is Girdwood down in the southeast? Because if it is, that's why my shipping is so much more, it's because you could get ground freight there, and I can't because I live in Nome. Shipping from Anchorage to Nome for my ATC 110 was $350, so I can only imagine what it'll be for something from, say, Ohio or something. Probably close to a grand. :(

slothminx
09-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey red rider i might be thinking rubbish here. But did you used to be on the boards and called kayodicweazel

Will

firefirefire90
09-17-2005, 04:36 PM
I would go with an R, i was watchin D-channel and a lot of plane pilots up there only use air cooled engines to the radiator coolant doesn't freeze up. Is that the same with trikes?

RedRider_AK
09-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Hey red rider i might be thinking rubbish here. But did you used to be on the boards and called kayodicweazel

Wow, do we really sound that alike? That was one of my friends, he showed me this site somewhere around last summer, I think. I just needed an opinion about the Tri-Z, and I remembered this place. I guess we inherited each other's method of speaking, we've been friends ever since we were in 1st grade...

slothminx
09-17-2005, 04:49 PM
nope lol it wasnt how you spoke that completely different. It was the living in Nome that gave it away.

Will

RedRider_AK
09-17-2005, 04:52 PM
nope lol it wasnt how you spoke that completely different. It was the living in Nome that gave it away.

Hehe, there's a lot of people who like trikes here in Nome, they're street legal and a total blast to take on the trails. Plus they never get stuck in mud, unlike quads.