PDA

View Full Version : What is needed to be legal?

pboivin007
09-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi

I have no paper for my trike. Do you know what is needed to be legal in Canada?

MTS
09-12-2005, 08:01 PM
go to the local DMV govt registy like where you take your drivers test, take a pic of the VIN and have them register it, then go and get insurance for it and your legal for ORV parks and place's that premeit riding.

pboivin007
09-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Oh, that's easy! I tought it was like with old car. It's a mess to put them back on road after they are scrap.

freewheel3
09-12-2005, 10:19 PM
go to the local DMV govt registy like where you take your drivers test, take a pic of the VIN and have them register it, then go and get insurance for it and your legal for ORV parks and place's that premeit riding.
Here in Alberta, you have to get the insurance first, then get the registration. But in order to get the insurance, you have to have a Bill of Sale or some other type of proof of ownership. If you don't have a Bill of Sale, make one. ;)

MTS
09-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Here in Alberta, you have to get the insurance first, then get the registration. But in order to get the insurance, you have to have a Bill of Sale or some other type of proof of ownership. If you don't have a Bill of Sale, make one. ;)
Thanks for the heads up...didnt know that :p i have to get my Bike registerd soon.... :beer

Live4today
09-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Or instead of getting insurance, when registering your vehicle, just tell them that it's for use on private land only. Meaning your own property. That is what I have done with all of my three wheelers, and it's no problem. Around here they want $1200 ish for insurance. Hell, I only paid $500 for the trike itself.

toyvette81
09-13-2005, 03:45 PM
you dont have to have any papers in NC no insurance or anything, not even on a new one lol, but my dad told me when he went to SD for sturgis he said everything had tags, he said it was weird to see
we just buy em and ride em" no ones even worried about a title

pboivin007
09-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Insurance are cheap here (150$ and less). I wish I had them when my snowmobile leave me, destroy a gate, some bushes, and crash in a car. I just pull the rope to start it, push the throtle and it was gone before I sit on it. It travel about 2000 feets, so it was probably at about 40 mph when it crash in the car (nobody was in the car). It was funny for a few seconds... :lol: I was only 15 years old when that happened.

The snowmobile was still running at full throtle when i got near it.

bigredhead
09-13-2005, 04:19 PM
IN CANADA... you need insurance and a registration/plate to ride legally.

What do you need to be legal ?
Answer : Alot of Money !.

I called every insurance company in NewBrunswick.. best quote.. out of the ones that even gave me one.. ( was told NO by half of them ) was.. get ready..... 450 $

pboivin007
09-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Gee, that's crazy! I'm paying 1100$ for my home, garage and my two cars (half insurance on one of them). My old Ford TBird 91 3.8L SC cost me 90$/year. This car can cause a lot more damage than a small trike. I wil call my insurance company tomorrow to be sure my friend didn't tell me bullshit about the 150$ he was paying.

But i'm not suprised that many company don't want to insure trike, as many don't want big sport bike (900cc and over) either.

pboivin007
09-13-2005, 04:54 PM
It was few a minutes before 17:00, so I called: 47$ for an 200S!!! In case you want to come to Quebec, it's 49 for a 200X... :naughty:

freewheel3
09-13-2005, 04:58 PM
In Alberta I pay $106 a year per trike for insurance & $35 for registration. Some insurance companies will not cover trikes though so you have to shop around.

zoomerman
09-13-2005, 05:04 PM
i don't have insureance on my trikes but on my four wheeler i pay 200 a year for it

pboivin007
09-13-2005, 05:11 PM
That's strange that it varies so much from place to place. Anyway, now I only need a plate.

Thanks to everyone.

toyvette81
09-14-2005, 09:19 AM
man i wouldn't pay anything/year for a freakin atv of any kind, thats crazy, you end up paying more in a few years than the thing is worth. no riding here is "legal" unless its one of our national forests or Few newer atv parks, its all just private land we ride on here and there,
on powerlines,gamelands(very illegal) and stuff
but of course in NC there arent as many atv's ( dirtbikes, atc's atv's) as there are up north or places like SD, wisconsin etc.... its amazing how many of "you guyses" lol live up there or way over there. theres nowhere to ride here compared to there im looking for another atc and there slim pickins here, can't even find a 250 r under 3 grand.... ill be makin a trip soon im sure. i see them up north and west going for under 1,000 that run!

Kintore
09-14-2005, 01:08 PM
I pay 305 Canadian for my Z in Ontario. But in my opinion its worth every penny, I dont know what I would do if I get the unit stolen.