PDA

View Full Version : rusted 84 Honda 200es rear axle

ploughjockey
02-14-2003, 02:17 PM
:? anybody got any experience getting a 200es axle apart when water has gotten into the splines and rusted the gear and clutch parts solid onto the axle shaft?

200xman
02-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Try soaking it with PB Blaster overnight and tapping it with a hammer. If that doesn't work, clean off the PB and heat up the hub with a torch and try to get it off.

ploughjockey
02-14-2003, 06:38 PM
:? I never heard of PB BLASTER so I checked it out on the net and found out about some other stuff called TC-11. I already knew about KROIL and WURTH ROSTOFF but haven't used either one. Has anyone used all four of these products and could give their impression of them?

PowerTrike
02-14-2003, 11:45 PM
yeah i would try the above... Are you planning on fixing the trike up, or separating it to part out, if you are parting it out i may be intersted in the axle. To penetrate rust, sometimes it works just to scrape out a groove and put tons of WD-40 or liquid wrench in the area to loosen things up :)

ploughjockey
02-15-2003, 12:56 AM
I just bought the trike with a bad axle. I found two more axles,each one with a problem, and I'm trying to make one good axle out of parts from the three. The main problem is getting the crown gear off the long spline in the middle of axle. They're all rusted on solid.I managed to torch the clutch parts off the axle because they were junk anyway but I don't want to destroy the gear. That's why I was asking about the best penetrating oil to use before I take it to somebody with a hydraulic press to get it pressed apart.

Mobular
02-15-2003, 04:57 AM
Soak it in brake fluid! It's an old wrecking yard trick!

smokinwrench
02-15-2003, 05:07 AM
I have used PB blaster it is good stuff. I had an old timer tell me the best thing for getting rusted stuff to come apart is to soak the entire thing in water for a couple days and it would just pull apart by hand, I have never tried it but the guy was serious as hell when he told me this. He said that not untill recent years did they come out with all this fancy oil to break rust loose. Might be worth a try if nothing else works. Josh

kilabeez0
02-15-2003, 10:10 AM
definitely soaking it for at LEAST 1 day makes a huge difference. Letting it soak for 5 minutes won't do much, but soak that thing and let it sit, be patient daniel son. Every few hours give it a few more squirts and that thing will come off no problem. They make that stuff for a reason.