PDA

View Full Version : Got a Big Red... pics and questions....

350x'inNY
09-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Had a NY State Blockbuster Trade Day yesterday! hahahaa Welp... I got myself a 85 Big Red. One of the early ones... manufacture date of 6/84.

It is a very solid trike motor/tranny/brakes. Frames/racks a bit rusty and it had been "spray bombed" green. Gotten a couple ideas about removing paint... any other suggestions welcome. Also.... any great suggestions on cleaning up and repainting rusty racks???

The only shiny spot on the trike is where the speedo USE to be. :cry: Oh... and underneath the seat it had the tool kit still in it that looks like it had never seen daylight til yesterday! :w00t: I have a Hondaline Cooler rack and a Canadian Honda Engine Heater kit here too (minus the mounting brackets... who had a complete kit that Swinehart can fab up some brackets from??) Oh... and it also has a "Cold Start" kit from NAPA.... a fuel line rubber hose ran up from the airbox to the right side cover to spray starting fluid into! hahaaha Not Hondaline, but I'll keep it! hahhaa

Not sure how "nice" I want to make it. However, I'll be stalking the local paper as the rumor is the local sheriffs are going to auction off their Big Reds soon. Then I might have a "Go-Go" BR and a "Showgirl" BR hahhahaha

I mounted on the Hondaline Mudflaps tonight that came with it.
Only piece I see it's missing are the side mud flaps on the rear fenders. Anything else I'm missing?

The "new" speedo owner says it has 2100+ miles on it. (Hmmm... Mike... is that the speedo head that was on this BR or a different one???) Do you really think this trike has that many miles on it? The original tires all the way around look to be in great shape. The gas tank looks great inside and decals looked great before their spray bombing.

Bruce

cragster
09-11-2005, 10:42 PM
lol not bad....you getta good deal?

350x'inNY
09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Yeah.... I think so.... really SWEET deal! Especially for as solid as the motor sounds. Came with an extra frame, swinger, rear rack/trunk/fender, and front fender. Traded off some parts I had laying around here and a little cash.

Bruce

cragster
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
IC doesnt sound too bad at all

Dammit!
09-11-2005, 10:53 PM
For paint removal, I used some spray-on paint remover that I picked up at Ace Hardware. Came in a one gallon metal can but had a plastic spray bottle velcro'd to the side. I figured if it wouldn't melt the plastic spray bottle it would be ok on my Z fenders. Worked really well actually. No harm to the plastic at all. Don't get it on anything rubber though (or your skin for that matter). Spray it on, use a plastic scrub brush to get it all loosened up after it's soaked a bit then spray it off with the hose.

1DEADPRESIDENT
09-11-2005, 10:57 PM
If you intend to keep those plastic's I would wet sand and buff them. They look like great candidates for that. I'm about to wet sand and buff some oem white 350x fenders, I'll let you know the outcome. Congrats on the BR.

freewheel3
09-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Canadian Honda Engine Heater kit here too (minus the mounting brackets... who had a complete kit that Swinehart can fab up some brackets from??)
Pretty sure I have one of those around here. Let me know if you need the brackets for templates. I'd have to look but I don't think there was much to them, should be pretty easy to fab some new ones.

350x'inNY
09-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Canadian Honda Engine Heater kit here too (minus the mounting brackets... who had a complete kit that Swinehart can fab up some brackets from??)Pretty sure I have one of those around here. Let me know if you need the brackets for templates. I'd have to look but I don't think there was much to them, should be pretty easy to fab some new ones.

Yes... the instructions don't show a very complicated bracket at all. Seems like someone in the States had one. But if you'd be willing to send me/Swiney the brackets to borrow; that'd be cool!

I also am missing the cap that goes over the outlet when you take the cord off. Personally, I think I'll run thecord into the trunk, so I'll not "unplug" it from the block heater.

brapp
09-11-2005, 11:22 PM
great deal . fine me a 85 es. lol

freewheel3
09-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Yes... the instructions don't show a very complicated bracket at all. Seems like someone in the States had one. But if you'd be willing to send me/Swiney the brackets to borrow; that'd be cool!

I also am missing the cap that goes over the outlet when you take the cord off. Personally, I think I'll run thecord into the trunk, so I'll not "unplug" it from the block heater.
PM me your address & I'll send them to you tomorrow or the next day. Might have one of those plugs around here somewhere, I'll check it out tomorrow.

350x'inNY
09-11-2005, 11:36 PM
PM me your address & I'll send them to you tomorrow or the next day. Might have one of those plugs around here somewhere, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Cool..... I'll pm you Swinehart's email address... I've been to his house numerous times but don't have his mailing address written down. Might as well send the brackets to him... he's my trike custom fab man! :beer

Bruce

PS -- Brapp.... was it you looking for a ALT125? I picked one of them up too. Email me at atc350x250r@earthlink.net. I'm still interested in your Fourman 350 4x4.

slow200s
09-12-2005, 12:19 AM
im not totaly aware of the quality of this model does it have full suspension?
thanks again for the ride this summer we will have to try and get out again next summer.
the fox and i are talking about building up a full suspension trike next summer, we have enough parts and i dont want to run into trees anymore!

joe

350x'inNY
09-12-2005, 12:24 AM
im not totaly aware of the quality of this model does it have full suspension?
thanks again for the ride this summer we will have to try and get out again next summer.
the fox and i are talking about building up a full suspension trike next summer, we have enough parts and i dont want to run into trees anymore!

joe

Hey... thought that pic looked familiar! Yep.... it has front and rear suspension! Come on out this fall man!!! Bring the "Brothers Fox" with ya.... got to get my Yamaha's running! Got to have the 1985 YTM200ERN vs 1985 ATC250ES shootout!

Bruce

PS - I'm finishing up a deal on a 1970 US90 Joe..... now that one WILL float! hahhaha

thefox
09-12-2005, 10:57 AM
All right, now next time we are up you will want to play in the mud too!

Joe proved to me how NOT to float a 200s. LOL, he tried to float it in a friends pond but went in too fast and ended up having the water go up to the tank before it rolled over. hahaha

Maine_Triker
09-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Looks good!!!