PDA

View Full Version : Painting, what type of paint to use on brake caliper 200x

Solid Snake
09-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Hey guys, I'm in the process of fixing up a 200x, so far it's coming along pretty good. Anyway, I have the rear brake caliper off and it's all apart, I had the caliper piston honed and got new seals to make it like new but it doesn't look like new and that's what I want to fix. I want to know what type of paint to buy so that I can paint the brake caliper. The stock 200x brake caliper is black color, but do I need high temp paint or what? Any brand and type? Thanks.

honda200
09-11-2005, 01:00 AM
i would use tremclad high temp heat in gloss black, it will make that thing look like new again

Curtis

Tri-ZNate
09-11-2005, 01:17 AM
Mexican chrome usually gives it a rustic touch. seriously though high heat paint is the way to go. Get some black and if you can find some clear coat it with high heat clear coat.

mymint87
09-11-2005, 01:34 AM
2 component aliphatic urethane

edog
09-11-2005, 09:11 AM
How bought 500 degree Duplicor ceramic paint Gloss Black.

grundlegrabber
09-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Send it off to the powdercoater.

chris200x
09-11-2005, 10:51 AM
When I was restoring my 200x I was contimplating using red for the calipers. I think that would look way cool. I think I used hi temp engine paint.

TeamGeek6
09-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Black helps the heat escape.

chris200x
09-11-2005, 11:44 AM
I really don't see a big diffrence with the heat... Unless he'll be racing his trike at Martinsville international speedway! :lol: :rolleyes:

DIGGER DOG
09-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I used the Dupli Color 500 degree gloss black with ceramic on mine looks nice dissipates heat really well as its on my motor also I noticed a reall difference
in heat dissipation , just be carefull with the brake fluid around it if you use D.O.T. 3 or 4 I personnaly would use the D.O.T. 5 brake fluid as it doesent hurt plastic or painted finishes.

EZ in NZ
09-11-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't think the heat is a big deal but it depends on how you ride and the style ofm riding I guess. I switched my fluids to DOT 5. Clean out the lines and reservoirs and calipers and you're good to go. Much better stuff to work with.

mymint87
09-11-2005, 07:48 PM
, just be carefull with the brake fluid around it if you use D.O.T. 3 or 4 I personnaly would use the D.O.T. 5 brake fluid as it doesent hurt plastic or painted finishes.

2 component aliphatic urethane is resistant to chemicals, solvents, heat and withstands full submersion to saltwater

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Here is an idea, How about BRAKE CALIPER paint. Yeah.. Go to an auto shop and ask for it, available in many colors. Usually a brush on application because it is thick.

Whew, who would of thought of that.

KASEY
09-11-2005, 09:15 PM
i sandblasted and painted my calipers red along time ago,, i used acrylic enemal,, they still look great,,,

grundlegrabber
09-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Watch out for that DOT 5. If you run DOT5, flush the system often. It's not hydroscopic (meaning it doesn't absorb water like regular brake fluid). What this means is that when moisture from the air gets in the fluid, it will slowly accumulate down in the caliper and cause rapid rusting/corrosion. DOT 3 and 4 absorbs moisture and keeps it suspended in the fluid. It will still corrode if not flushed occasionally, but it takes much, much longer. Just thought I'd add this in, in case anyone is interested to know.

Solid Snake
09-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Now all I have to decide is which color which is hard now that I've seen those sweet looking red calipers.

Troll 2
09-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Then again, how about polishing them.....lol
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4339

thedeatons
09-12-2005, 03:12 PM
If you type in brake caliper paint on Ebay you will see many of the two part, mix-it up together before you paint kinds of paint. This is what the car folks are using on their calipers. I have used the Folia Tec brand and the G3 brand more recently, and both are excellent! I saw a Duplicolor two part kit at a paint shop the other day which I'm sure is the same thing. Do not use a regular spray can or else it will just fade and look old over time. The two parts are super glossy, really thick, and resist chipping due to their hardness. I can send you pictures of my old VW GTi's red calipers which looked spectacular. I recently did my Jeep's calipers with the same stuff, and I will never use anything else. It looks just like a super glossy powderecoat finish. James