PDA

View Full Version : honda 200x to 350x shock change?

Yamaha_Rules69
09-10-2005, 02:26 AM
I have seen that a couple of guys on the site have done the shock trade on their 200x's. How do you get the bigger 350x shock to fit in there right? I just bolted the bottom of the shock to the top mounting bracket, but it sits too high and it doesnt look to be positioned right for some reason. Do you have to make a special bracket, or could you get by using the 200x linkage?

EZ in NZ
09-10-2005, 02:46 AM
I made a linkage (dogbone). Just got finished up with it today. It's a superb upgrade. A much better offroader shock IMO.

You have an 84 or 85 swinger? Bolting it to the top mount on the swingarm won't cut it. You need a modified dogbone.

Muddy was selling them here up until a few weeks ago. He makes nice ones that will have the bottom mount of the shock sitting lower in the swingarm.

Do a search for '350X shock mount' or something like that. The thread will show up.

Or, you could make one. I carved one out of a solid block of aluminium. Worked out real nice too.

mywifeknowseverything
09-10-2005, 09:38 AM
How about some pictures of these little Upgrades...

jsimonh
09-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Me and my father made a complete center piece for the 200x swingarm. We lowered the point where the bottom of the shock mounts. We did it this way because Muddy said his way with the mount would raise the back and we were not doing the fornt end swap, so we wanted it to stay the same height.

Here are some pics of it

Muddy200x
09-10-2005, 10:40 PM
How about some pictures of these little Upgrades...
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/muddy2OOx/images/before%20after.jpg
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/muddy2OOx/images/details.jpg

I have one link left. Tig welded and unpainted $40.00

mywifeknowseverything
09-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Will it work on the 83' and what is that above the Front tire going from Fork to Fork???

I sure do like the way that Sits

EZ in NZ
09-11-2005, 03:52 AM
If you are talking about the 83 swinger (4 round tubes) no it won't work.

They didn't use a dogbone like the 84 and up. Just that one, fixed mount. I swapped mine out for an 85.

mywifeknowseverything
09-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Are you saying that you have an 83' that you switched an 85' into??

If so....I know where a 85 swinger is... :naughty:

Also,,,Is this mod going to make a Difference for a 10yr old????? For some reason it just dawned on me that You guys might be old and Fat and need the upgrade... :p :lol:

However,,,,The way that one is sitting....I Freaking Love it!!! :beer

Muddy200x
09-11-2005, 01:48 PM
An 84-85 swingarm will fit the 83 frame. IMO is a much better design and is easily extended, Id say make the swap. However the shock mod is definitely overkill for a 10 yr old (unless the 10 yr old weighs 200 lbs or more). :D Also, I wouldn't recommend the shock mod be used with a stock length swingarm. I went over the reasons in an earlier post, but a the very least it would probably look funny without the other mods.

Here's a quote I copied from another thread.

I'd have to say that If you do the conversion that you would not only need the front end, but you would also need an extended swingarm and the extended rear axle. Just to keep things proportional.

The problem with this conversion is...

If you only do the rear shock, it's going to raise the rear end and slightly shorten your wheelbase. Probably going to give an odd raised in the rear look, unless there in a rider sitting on it.

If you only do front end, it's going to increase the height in the front roughly 3" and since the 350x has a leading axle it will increase the wheelbase length roughly 3". This is going to give a raised in the front appearance with a slight "chopper" look.

If you do the front end and the rear shock, your swingarm is going to appear to be too short and at a slightly steeper angle then normal. Extending your swingarm will fix that.

If you do both you've added length and height with the front-end, and also added length and height to the rear-end. Now you have a longer and taller trike that is going to be tipsy in turns because it's now too narrow. An extended axle or wheel spacers should be considered necessary.

EZ in NZ
09-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Yep, that's what I did. My 83 swinger was rusting out and I wanted an extended one so I got an 85 swinger and did the extension. It fits right in. All parts interchange (not sure about the skid plate - I used the mounts off the 83 on the 85) except you then need a dogbone whether you're sticking with the 200X shock or doing this mod talked about here.