PDA

View Full Version : 84 Big Red rear brakes

IAMCDN
09-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Hey guys, first post, but have been around for a while since I bought my trike recently.

I have a question about my rear brakes. Apparently the guy I bought it from had replaced the brake pads(shoes?) on the rear brakes, but they all of a sudden stopped working recently. He mentioned that there was some little piece that broke or came off at one time and he just welded it or something. I suspect that just broke again. I want to take them apart and fix it, but don't know where to start. I have a hunting trip coming up and don't want to rip it apart gung-ho and not be able to get it back together. Would rather have a working trike with no brakes than no trike at all.

My understanding is that I have to remove those 2 nuts at the base of the axle to get to the brakes. Correct? Then what? Does the one axle come out? Do I then just have to remove the bolts on that side of the housing to have access to the brakes? I think once I get to the brakes, I can figure out what is wrong, I just need to know how to get to them.

Any detailed info would be greatly appreciated. Where I am going hunting is pretty hilly terrain, so brakes would be kinda nice to have!

Thanks.

bigredhead
09-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah.. remove those 2 huge nuts.... then remove the bolts on the right side and remove that plate.. the shoes will be in there.

I'm willing to bet the linings came off teh shoes.. they can sometimes be glued back on with industrial epoxy or something.. but consider replacing them to be safe.

You don't want the linings loose in there.. if they get wedged in the wrong spot they could ruin the drum and then some.....

the cover can be HARD to get off.. take it easy on it. I had to use heat on mine as it was sealed with sylicone.

IAMCDN
09-09-2005, 03:18 PM
OK, thanks for the reply. I don't think the cover will be hard to get off, I took the bolts out, thinking the cover would pop off, had it loose, but would not come off, of course because I didn't take the nuts off the axle.

So you just remove the 2 nuts on the axle and the bolts to that(right) side of the cover and the brakes are in there? The axle and bearings don't need to come out or anything, do they?

If that is the case, sounds simple enough. I'll give it a try on the weekend.

Thanks again.

P.S. Anyone tried ITP Mud Lites on a big red? I ordered some for mine, they look like a decent tire for the mud, although the 6 ply may firm up the ride quite a bit(no rear suspension).

bigredhead
09-09-2005, 03:54 PM
6 ply tires on a hard tail = rough ride... wear thick pants !! lol..

Yep. take those 2 big nuts off. ( i had to use adjustable chanel lock plyers for mine.. had no other wrench big enough.. ) and the cover comes out.. just take the right side tire off.. and leave the axle in the rear end.. no need to remove the axle.

when you put the nuts back on.. put the first one on.. snug it up.. and then HOLD it while you tighten the 2nd one on REAL TIGHT!!!..

IAMCDN
09-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I'll have brakes now!

IAMCDN
09-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks, bigredhead, got the 2 nuts off using a pipe wrench, cover came right off. The brakes were just dust. Nothing left on them. Ordered new ones. Hopefully the brakes and the new Mud Lite's will be here in time for hunting next month. The tires are apparently back ordered. Sh*t.