PDA

View Full Version : tri Z sputtering

MassTrike
09-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Ive had my Z for over a month now and havent ridden it once. When I actually got some time, today I rode it and when I open the throttle it bogs and snaps, then has a spurt of power, then bogs, it acts like a rev limiter would. The carb is clean and all. But im not sure how the jetting was set, It came from PA, and Im in MA. Would there need to be a jetting change?, Im at sea level. Ive tried messing with everything I can think of. Can someone send me the exact specs of thier carb, how many turns out the idle screw is, ect ect. Thanks.

western star
09-08-2005, 06:07 PM
the main jet is a #500 anything smaller it will run lean,the pilot is a #35 (stock),and pilot screw should be at 2 1/4 turns out .the stock main should be 320-340.and the needle is at the 4th groove all the way up.that manual will tell you everything you need to know even jetting at your alltitude.I also ran klotz oil in gas in case you haven't dumped old stuff out.you gonna send me that bottom end still??

Tri-ZNate
09-08-2005, 06:11 PM
got the choke on :lol:? I have seen from first hand experience that it just wont rev out like it should if its warmed up and you forget to shut the choke off :rolleyes:

twgranger
09-08-2005, 07:57 PM
What year do you have? Is your air filter clean?

TimSr
09-08-2005, 08:17 PM
If it was jetted right before, it might change a little, but it shoud be close enough as to not see anything so severe as what you are seeing. If you are spitting and sputtering I think you are barking up the wrong tree with carburetion. Id be looking at electrical starting with the spark plug. From there I would water test the plug boot, and plug wire. Then I would take a look at the flywheel and make sure the woodruff key is not sheared off.

twgranger
09-08-2005, 08:23 PM
If it was jetted right before, it might change a little, but it shoud be close enough as to not see anything so severe as what you are seeing. If you are spitting and sputtering I think you are barking up the wrong tree with carburetion. Id be looking at electrical starting with the spark plug. From there I would water test the plug boot, and plug wire. Then I would take a look at the flywheel and make sure the woodruff key is not sheared off.
I had a bad coil make my Z spit and sputter before. The warmer the bike got the worse it sputtered. This only happened in the high RPM's though.