PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads for Restoration... Which Brand?

thedeatons
09-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Hey guys,

For all those restorations out there, are you guys using OEM Honda brake shoes or another brand? Bikebandit.com lists the brand ASK beside their part number, and the shoes I pulled out of my 185S are ASK brand... Are these OEM? Does anyone know if I order the bikebandit.com part number whether I will receive a pair or one brake shoe?? Thanks!

TeamGeek6
09-06-2005, 11:26 AM
EBC or nothing. Id rather walk than use anything but. They are absolutely superior to OEM. Ive used them both on street and dirt, they dang near put me through the Goldwing windshield - excellent stopping power.

thedeatons
09-06-2005, 11:41 AM
I agree on the EBC pads, I've used the "Green Stuff" pads on my cars and the HH pads on my sportbikes, but was concerned about staying with OEM Honda for the restoration's sake, and was wondering if they are still available or if the dealers are substituting...

TeamGeek6
09-06-2005, 02:05 PM
I doubt aftermarket brake pads are a big hit on vehicle value. Id rather trade off there than hit a tree (said after hitting a few trees...) :)

trikezilla
09-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Yep EBCs are great. I use em. They wont make a big deal on price if you get OEMs just because of a restore job IMO. Id rather take the chance on losing a SMALL bit of $$$ off the trike thank smoke a tree and take out your forks lol

thedeatons
09-07-2005, 09:46 AM
So, is the ASK branded pad the OEM pad that is issued by Honda?

TimSr
09-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Ive never herad of Honda pads going by another brand name. If it is the pad taken from the OEM parts schematic on bikebandit, then its an OEM part.

Nobody asked what you will be doing with your trike, and that makes a big difference. Softer pads grab better, but wear out quicker. If you ride lots of mud and water, and lots of very steep downhills, like we do, youll want to go with harder pads, and EBC is the only thing I ever found that lasts longer than OEM. If you are going to drive around mostly dry flat ground, or ride sand you might find that brakes last you a very long time anyways, and cheapos will do just fine. Some restorations are more show pieces than rides, and if thats your case, Id buy the cheapest you can find.

thedeatons
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
The restoration will definitely end up being a showpiece, with all the NOS parts and work I'm putting into it... I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it after it is complete, because it will become complete, as I have a build list, which basically consists of getting the machine 100% original, as it would be on the showroom floor in 1981. This is why I'm asking about specific brake shoe brands and what is original. I don't imagine I'll see a "Honda" brake shoe, as that hardly ever happens, but if Honda spec'd a certain brand on this trike, then I'd like to know what that is... Think "concours restoration"...

thedeatons
09-07-2005, 10:18 PM
So has anyone ordered brake pads from bikebandit.com? They list them as seperate items on the fiche, as in Item #7 for one and Item #7 for the other, so I'm wondering if the come individually from Honda or as a pair???

TimSr
09-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Brake pads come in a set to do one caliper/wheel.

Meat-BoX
09-08-2005, 01:27 AM
EBC's on the Tecate and they Grab good. :w00t: