PDA

View Full Version : cracked plastic

Pablo83R
09-06-2005, 01:37 AM
How do you fix your cracked plastics? I have just used a hot glue gun to fix mine and it looks as though it will do the trick untill I get new rear plastics.

jerricho1422
09-06-2005, 08:30 AM
www.urethanesupply.com

I don't work for this company nor have I tried their products. I found them while searching for some new plastic. Hope it helps, Jerricho

petesatc
09-06-2005, 08:41 AM
How do you fix your cracked plastics? I have just used a hot glue gun to fix mine and it looks as though it will do the trick untill I get new rear plastics.
hot glue will only last one ride or 2 ......best fix if your buying new plastics is too drill holes either side of the crack and zip-tie together......they never come apart then.......

yamahaman89
09-06-2005, 09:40 AM
hot glue will only last one ride or 2 ......best fix if your buying new plastics is too drill holes either side of the crack and zip-tie together......they never come apart then.......
thas what i did too my x and its been holding up for about 8 months

42F67N
09-06-2005, 09:43 AM
yup zips ties i have my kids front fender on his lt 80 zip tied,i also tried the hot glue and it didnt even hold for 10 mins lol

bigredhead
09-06-2005, 10:42 AM
My friend has a " Plastic Weld Kit " .. basically a soldering iron with a loop to feed plastic strips into.. melts it all back together.... pretty slick. Takes a bit to get used to tho.. find scrap plastic to practice on ..... even a Heat Gun with a small tip can do the job you have to concentrate the heat on the crack and melt some plastic into it.. then you sand it down and voila !

NOT AN EASY THING TO DO.....

drill holes and zip ties.. much faster.

TeamGeek6
09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Automotive body shops can sometimes weld plastics, they have special plastic welding equipment used to fix plastic fenders. No joke.

Ryah
09-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Original formula shoe goo. Great for patching holes in your tires. Only down side is it takes a while to set. Is very flexible so it doesn't crack off. I'll swear by this stuff. I've been using it for years.

bigredhead
09-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Original formula shoe goo. Great for patching holes in your tires. Only down side is it takes a while to set. Is very flexible so it doesn't crack off. I'll swear by this stuff. I've been using it for years.

HAHAHA... my dad used that stuff to seal his steel toe rubber boots ,he's a lumberjack and puts his boots thru hell and back... that stuff is STRONG... Ausome " Prank " putty !!

I don't think it would hold up to the smooth surface of fenders tho.. and you'd have to gob it up real thick.... would peel off if it don't work.. but zip ties are to be highly considered..

darrel632
09-07-2005, 09:53 AM
sila plex adhesive is about the best thing I've ever used, plugs holes, fixes cracks, don't use it on the outside (visible) areas unless you need to when its dry you need to grind the stuff smooth. It fixed a 12 foot aluminum boat with a cracked transom to where it will take a 15 hp yamaha motor all day with no issue worked on Big red fenders for more than 6 years. If you want to fix it right, use this stuff, they use it in body shops for minor cracks etc.