PDA

View Full Version : 200x strange noise

Pablo83R
09-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi guys I recently bought a 83-85 200x , it was standing for a while so prob needs and oil change etc once I have done the brakes , thing is I took it out for a maiden trip and once it was hot sometimes when pulling away I heard a clicking tapping noise. I am guessing its something to do with the tensioner? Not knowing about 4 strokes I was wondering if it is an adjustment or something I need to do? Any tips would be appreciated as although I am going to restore it I think they need to be ridden as well and I dont want to kill it before its finished. Also does anyone have a headlight assembly for sale and a grab bar possibly.
Thanks Chaps.

firefirefire90
09-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Hey mate, welcome to the board...sorry to hear aboutyour X but search around the board and you should find something. There are many brits around here including myself. Thats a rare find in england..

BigGreenMachine
09-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Yet another useless post by you fire90...

Where on the bike is the sound coming from? Topend maybe the valves (ticking sound) or the cam chain (rattling sound) and the rear drive chain maybe lose and binding up and making noise. PRM-ATV.com will have an assortment of cheap grab bars for your X and try the classifieds on here for a stock or 350X headlight assembly.

James

Pablo83R
09-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Seems to be coming from the top of the engine , when it was cold it didnt make it , I wont be running it now until its had an oil change but was hoping its something simple as I dont realy want to start splitting the engine.

slothminx
09-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Hello

I am a triker in the uk aswell. where about are you on the small island?

The clicking will be one of two things. Both dont need you to split the engine apart.

1. the timing is out and your are getting pre ignition(detonation) this will eventually cause the piston to be damaged. not good news.

the solution to this problem. advance the timing a bit or run higher ocatane fuel( for us that would be super unleaded).

2. you valve clearences are too large. now i do not think this is very likely but it is possible and its a good idea to check them on a new trike anyway. i do not know what the clearences are, but if you have a quick search you will get loads of info on them.

and the last thing. get that oil changed. motorcycle 10-30w is fine but make sure on the bottle it says suitable for wet clutches. once you have done this your mind will be at peace not worrying.

good luck with the x

will

Pablo83R
09-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Cheers Sloth , I was reading the thread below mine and someone mentioned the chain tensioner should I check that first too? The clutch is on the end of the adjustment so I want to get the plates out and clean rough them up and get any manky oil off them before I do the oil change , easy job? I also see you were looking for a Z . Is that still the case? As I have a mate who seized his up and is looking to sell.

slothminx
09-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Hey

the noise wont be the cam chain tension. Doesnt make that kind of noise. Onto the clutch plates, i would break the bank and go for a new set of plates. always a good idea and will make a world of difference. I myself have not working with an X before so i had a quick search for threads on replacing the plates. http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=34561&highlight=200x+clutch thats what ive dug up, there seems to be quite alot of info in that one:). yes i am looking for a z but at the moment i getting some money together if you PM me with the details ill have a think about it. engine problems are good i can fix those :D

Will