PDA

View Full Version : 200S stalling question

Jim mac
09-04-2005, 12:12 AM
recently started posting here, I got a 200s recently ran it around my cul de sac and it runs good, I loaned it to my daughters softball team to drag the fields but I was told it would stall after about a minute, let it sit and it fires right up, I saw about 1/2 tank of gas, I switched it to res. and rode it around some and it didn't die, could the run side of the petcock be clogged? I noticed there is no filter on either lines either. can I just drain the tank turn it over and blow carb cleaner through the petcock? thanks Jim

firefirefire90
09-04-2005, 12:19 AM
I have nno idea about the carb cleaner through the petcock but i am sure that you need fuel filters on the lines to the carb, i mean you could be putting loads of crap into your motor from the gas tank. Get filters and re-do your carb. That should make it run better. As i said before i do not know about the carb cleaner + petcock = success. Take the petcock out and clean it. This is not crap i just re-did my gas tank, petcock, and got all new fuel lines/ filters to anyone who thinks im whoring.

freewheel3
09-04-2005, 12:51 AM
Although pulling the tank, flushing it, removing the petcock & installing a fuel filter are all good ideas why don't you determine if it is a fuel delivery problem in the first place. (Just in case it isn't)
Simply remove the fuel line from the carb & then drain fuel into a container on both the main & the reserve and see if there is any difference in flow.
There is the possibility that there is a partial blockage that is not evident with cul de sac driving but becomes evident when under a heavier load such as dragging the ball diamond.

Jim mac
09-04-2005, 01:28 AM
thanks for the ideas sometime this weekend I'll do that, and the oil looks black so I might as well do a oil change too. any other things to do on a recent acquisition? I thought about selling it and making a few bucks on it but I may just have to keep it now. Jim

freewheel3
09-04-2005, 01:49 AM
thanks for the ideas sometime this weekend I'll do that, and the oil looks black so I might as well do a oil change too. any other things to do on a recent acquisition? I thought about selling it and making a few bucks on it but I may just have to keep it now. Jim
Lube & adj. all cables. Remove chain cover, clean lube & adj. Clean the air filter. Hows the brakes? Check the steering head brgs. Check the front wheel brgs. & rear axle brgs. for play. Check the plug, gap it @ .024 - .028". And yeah, give it an oil change. If it's running good then, I wouldnt mess with it too much more.

firefirefire90
09-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Freewheel3 is spot on. If you want to be realy thorough, add brake fluid/bleed brakes, tighten all the nuts an bolts, If you know how adjust the carb and yeah Freewheel pretty much coverd it, oh also check all your electrics.

wheelie king
09-04-2005, 09:36 AM
It is impossible to bleed brakes on an atc 200s. It is all manual. Just check the cables, lines, and lube where necessary. For the engine , use a motorcyle oil or something suitable for wet clutches. Your clutch will thank you for that.

Jim mac
09-04-2005, 10:40 AM
So don't use the 10-40 I use in my car? can you recommend a oil that hopefully is available at checker auto. thanks Jim

TravEX
09-04-2005, 10:57 AM
use a good quality 10-40, yes, you can use that oil. I've ran Vavoline 10-40 in everything I've got for as long as I've had in with zero problems.

wheelie king
09-04-2005, 12:10 PM
I run yamalube in the yamahas, and kawachem in the honda. I use the kawachem because of price and availability. Yamalube is 20w-40, and the kawachem is 10w-40. Both SPECIFY that they are designed for use with a wet clutch.

Jim mac
09-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Okay I did a oil change, pulled the fuel line off the petcock, when it's in the run position fuel barely trickles out, in the res. position I get a nice steady stream I guess I'm going to pick up a filter for it next week and pull the petcock off and clean it. I read somewhere that seafoam additive works good in the gas? anyone try the stuff? thanks Jim

freewheel3
09-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Never heard of seafoam, before you rip into anything, just put some more gas in the tank & then recheck the flow again. Maybe you just have less gas in the tank than it looks like through the filler. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it)

ATCnut
09-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I would definatly take the petcock off and clean the filter screens. There is a plastic screen that sticks up into the tank. I will all most guarentee when you pull it out it is covered and caked in fine rust, blocking the run portion. Clean it up good, and put everything back together, you should be good to go.

firefirefire90
09-04-2005, 11:56 PM
hold on, for oil...arent * supposed to run 10w-30? thats wut it says in my manual. i havent started the motor up yet but have been runnin 10w-30 castrol synthetic to clear it all up. Should i move up to 10w-40?

TravEX
09-05-2005, 12:58 AM
10-30, 10-40, doesn't really matter, little difference.

Seafoam is great stuff. I've ran it in a lot of things from jetski's, trikes, quads, trucks, everything with a motor.

wheelie king
09-05-2005, 09:44 AM
I use the same thing to clean the petcock as I do to clean carbs. It is called Mercury Powertune. It is an industrial marine grade carb cleaner that foams and expands. Expensive, but it is GREAT stuff. My 200s sat for 20 years, and that is what I used to clean out all the fuel related parts. Evinrude makes a similar cleaner. It can be purchased at a marine store, and definitely at a Mercury Outboard dealer . About 7 bucks a can, but again, well worth it, in my opinion. Compared to the regual 99 cent autozone carb cleaner, you use much less, and it cleans like you would not believe. Good luck.