PDA

View Full Version : I motoxed with my SX today and ..........

Huffa
09-03-2005, 08:17 PM
.......here is my opinion of how it rode and how it held up.

It was actually my 1st real ride on it also and let me make it clear I know it is not really motox oreinted also and what happened today on it leads me to believe that it should stick to the trails.

It held up just fine mechanical wise and didn't miss a beat and I was out over an hour easy on it doing lap after lap on this track.....http://rocketraceway.com/Kicx8579.jpg The track had a lot of natural terrain and isn't like most tracks your used to. A GREAT TRACK to check out and if you live close by (Three Springs, PA) check it out for sure. 20 bucks a day to ride. www.rocketraceway.com

Not every lap was full bore on it but never the less it was over an hour for sure.

I rolled just about all the jumps knowing the suspension is just too soft and too short of travel to take much punishment. I didn't want to pouind the thing to death! It was capable of getting some air but I just assumed to have more fun with sliding around the corners which it did very well. They had a long uphill whooped out section that I doubled the 1st small jumps than got a good rythem motoing around the sweeper through the rest of small jumps. It did quite well thrtough that and that was my favorite section of the track.

What I hated on the SX is not having a clutch to make up for the gap that I found between 2nd & 3rd. 2nd it would rev too high and 3rd it didn't have enough mid range to really burst through the turns. I used 3rd most of the times instead of revving it to the moon and just waited till the revs built to make sufficent power again, after all, I was in no race. A clutch would of helped a great deal in that situation.

After riding it 5,6,7, laps or so the right side of gas tank felt odd like it got narrower! I thought it was just my knee getting numb from keeping pressure on the tank with my legs when going over the rythem section and a few other sections. Once I pitted I found out what it was.........the side of my knee had put a nice dent in the tank!!! :cry: I can't blame that on the trike because 2 of the 200 X's I had I did it too so it must be the way I weight the machine? The dent took no paint off and should "pop" right back to normal if I take it to a body shop and they use a special tool they have. Odd that I never dented the L side of my trikes, it was always the right that I can recall.

If you do moto it, WIRE TIE the seat latch so it can't come * latched! Mine did just that and the whole body was shuffeling around for a few seconds till I realized what was going on and pulled over.
Riding to the pits I was quite happy with it all and all as to how every thing held up until I got off the machine. I said mechanical wise it did just fine and it gets an A+ BUT cosmetic wise I was bummed!!!! The whole left side of the rear fender at the back corner was all busted up with 3-4 good size cracks and it didn't have anything to do with when it came unlatched. My fender supports are doing there job and not bent down at all. I guess it was simply vibration that did it but not sure ??? I need a "new" used one for sure now.

Anyway, I'm going to fix it back up and then its going to be soley a trail trike and if I ever want to moto again it's going to have to be a 200X, 350 X or 250 R and I might as well pre-dent the right side of the tank because most likely, it's going to happen anyway :lol:

So those are two negatives for the Honda but 2 positives for the 225 Yamaha because you can't dent the tank and there is no way the body can come off although I guess it's possible to lose your seat on them??

mad_max
09-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Nice write up.
I'll add that when I moto X'd my SX I ran 20's on the back and that seemed to make 3rd pretty usable.....'course it also depends on the track. :p

bigredhead
09-04-2005, 08:52 AM
You are a brave man !!

Glad to see it held up good tho, The paint is sanded off both sides of my SX tank.. it's just the way you have to sit on it to keep the weight ballance... I call them silver racing strips !! lol..

Do you have X fron forks on your SX ? i hope you do .. cuz i know mine would snap if i hit something hard at a fast speed.

What tires did you run on it ?

deathman53
09-04-2005, 09:24 AM
wow, 4 hours from me to go there, I didn't see any where on the site that they allow trikes, I might have to make a trip one weekend there and another place over there that has tt races, If I can afford the cost of gas???

mx600
09-04-2005, 11:21 AM
No pictures??

Glad to hear it worked out ok. Did you get strange looks? Did you try the trails there with it?

I know I can get a plastic tank for my 200s, maybe there's one available for the 250sx too? Just a thought.

chris200x
09-04-2005, 01:36 PM
:eek: :crazy: Maybe I should of gave you my 200x! :lol: You should just stick to trail riding that sx huh? ;)

85 250sx
09-04-2005, 02:08 PM
wow that track is only 2 hours away from me, I think im gona have to make a trip there some day too. Do you need to have your trike registerd or insured?

Huffa
09-04-2005, 02:13 PM
You are a brave man !!

Glad to see it held up good tho, The paint is sanded off both sides of my SX tank.. it's just the way you have to sit on it to keep the weight ballance... I call them silver racing strips !! lol..

Do you have X fron forks on your SX ? i hope you do .. cuz i know mine would snap if i hit something hard at a fast speed.

What tires did you run on it ?

I put clear vinyl over the area where your leg rubs so no paint will ever come off the tank and glad I did.

Stock suspension and it worked quite well as long as you stayed with in it capabilities.

Maxis All traks on back..............just love thise tires !!!! AMS Fox A/T on front. All tires were brand new and show very, very little wear!

Huffa
09-04-2005, 02:20 PM
wow, 4 hours from me to go there, I didn't see any where on the site that they allow trikes, I might have to make a trip one weekend there and another place over there that has tt races, If I can afford the cost of gas???

Well if you get in the mood to do so, you could come out to my pad then go out with me. You would be with in 20 minutes of me anyway if you take a certain route.

Like said, it's best for trail riding but I suppose I could do it again if another 3 wheeler guy would go out. I know it's limatations now and the cracked rear fender will be my moto only fender from now on. I'll just stitch it up with the zip tie method.

Actually that is the best track around for a 3 wheeler because of how stretched out it is and the "mild" jumps compared to your superX style tracks.

Might add the owners Mark & Shelly are EXTREMLY cool freindly people also.

Huffa
09-04-2005, 02:23 PM
:eek: :crazy: Maybe I should of gave you my 200x! :lol: You should just stick to trail riding that sx huh? ;)

Yea, I should but will be hard to resist if others want to go. A lot of the jumps you can bypass and we could have our "own" track sort of.

Huffa
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
No pictures??

Glad to hear it worked out ok. Did you get strange looks? Did you try the trails there with it?

I know I can get a plastic tank for my 200s, maybe there's one available for the 250sx too? Just a thought.

No strange looks but did get a few "Wow, thats in nice shape".

Trails I did not get to try and felt I 'd worry Mark by going out alone which isn't a good idea anyway.

There is one available and that's a great idea.

No pictures, sorry. It was just that type of day where no one wanted to take any. Well John took two of me but they were so far away it's not worth the effort to post them.

Hey, check out what I'm redoing now!!!

Mark and Shellys 1965 Honda Benley 150 !!!!! This is after a 45 minute wash job at the car wash. For 40 years old it's in real nice shape !!! Not imaculate but it's going to turn out real nice. paint is good enough everywhere that it needs no painting!! Most people call this the Honda Dream but that is incorrect. It is by all means a Benley but doesn't say it anywhere.

Huffa
09-04-2005, 02:28 PM
wow that track is only 2 hours away from me, I think im gona have to make a trip there some day too. Do you need to have your trike registerd or insured?

Naw, you don't need none of that. Just sign a paper and your good to go!

Once you try it, you'll rave about it I'll bet !!!

We'd all have a blast on the hare scrmable course also !!

Maybe we can set a date for all to come ????????