PDA

View Full Version : Work Stand Ideas...

madisonsdaddy99
09-02-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm planning to get started restoring the 85R I picked up on Ebay and was thinking about building a platform for the 250R to sit up on while I work on it. I thought maybe some of you guys that have been doing this awhile might have some good ideas or plans for me. Something like the one you see in Vintage Motorsports thread only home made.

Also what do you guys think a 1972 Honda 90 (Orange) in original condition is worth? It sat for 15 years unused and the new owner is looking to sell. Runs great. The guy wants $500 for it. I'm tryng to bring the price down a bit. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will.

Jerry

P.S. Just picked up a complete set of new OEM plastic for the 85R from Cal- ATV. Also bought new fork boots and I have new grips on the way. I'd like to take pics and start a post on the restoration. The big thing is I need an engine.

jeswinehart
09-02-2005, 11:31 PM
I was going to buy a stand but they didnt go high enough for my needs.
Thought about building something but what i have been doing for about 3 years now is using a come-a-long, a strap from footpeg to footpeg and hoisting my machines up in the air high enough to put a 55 gallon barrel under them. I cut out peice of plywood to fit on top of the barrel just to make a flat surface.
Works for me ( cuz it's cheap ). No more stoping over to work on what ever.

john

350x'inNY
09-02-2005, 11:59 PM
I was going to buy a stand but they didnt go high enough for my needs.
Thought about building something but what i have been doing for about 3 years now is using a come-a-long, a strap from footpeg to footpeg and hoisting my machines up in the air high enough to put a 55 gallon barrel under them. I cut out peice of plywood to fit on top of the barrel just to make a flat surface.
Works for me ( cuz it's cheap ). No more stoping over to work on what ever.

john

Swiney ol buddy ol pal..... Once I get that US90.... (be awhile at the rate that Yellow Banana's been treating me!) I've been thinking I ought to get some sort of stand fabbed up like Vintagemotorsports does to support that lil trike so it doesn't put undue pressure on those OEM balloon tires! Ideas of something NOT as high as a 55 galloon drum to store it on?

jeswinehart
09-03-2005, 12:05 AM
I reckon you could saw it down to how ever tall you want it. those are not heavy machines ,,,,

john

200xman
09-03-2005, 06:38 AM
I use the drum method too. It helps to put some sand in the bottom to make it less tippy.

ANTI-QUAD
09-03-2005, 07:47 AM
i built a a 4 foot by 8 foot work bench. i used 2x4 for the frame,4x4 legs and 1/2 inch preasure treated plywood for the top,works great,plenty of room for tools and room to work on removed parts at the front of the table,and scense its preasure treated,it can stay outside. in the winter time,i pile snow at both ends an i can ramp my sled onto it .

hotroddal
09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
i built an atv stand, out of all scrap metal i found in spring clean up, i didnt spend a peeney on it, ill have to take some pics of it its pritty nice if i do say so myself for a homemade thing.

Quadworks
09-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Go buy an ATV/motorcycle lift from Handy Corp in Iowa. They have ads in the magazines at times. They are very nice to use. This what I use in my shop.