PDA

View Full Version : Duning w/ a 4 stroke?

DX Rider12
09-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Will a YTM DR 225 bone stock do any good at sand dunes? I was watching ATV Television last night and they had a Yamaha dune ride in Glamis? I think? edog, I could use your input.

CHAINSAW
09-01-2005, 09:16 PM
I rode my 225 DX at the dunes all the time growing up, and my wife rode it for several years on the dunes before moving up to larger machines. They handle great and work great in the sand.

droopie31
09-01-2005, 09:26 PM
LOL that reminds me neil, my mom and mrs saw took out your 225, that was so funny, my mom can not ride! lol :lol:

1984kxtTECATE
09-01-2005, 11:53 PM
If you decide to take it out to the dunes, I would not reccomend putting paddles on it, the 225 wont do to well with that type of strain agianst the motor. Yuo could give the the "desert tracks" a try made by sand tires unlimited.

firefirefire90
09-01-2005, 11:54 PM
What about a really small sand paddle? Would that make the wheels spin to much. Is having a small tire on the track the complete opposite than on the sand? because i see most people with big paddles on their bikes. I thought a smaller one would do better...Am i wrong?

bigyellow4x4
09-02-2005, 12:07 AM
yes the bigger the tire the better but it also takes more power to turn and correct gearing too!!!

firefirefire90
09-02-2005, 12:31 AM
For the paddles im using come off of a yamaha breez, too small? I dont know the dimensions but the wheels work on my hubs. should i get bigger? sorry for stealing your thread.

Mr. Sandman
09-02-2005, 02:04 AM
If you decide to take it out to the dunes, I would not reccomend putting paddles on it, the 225 wont do to well with that type of strain agianst the motor. Yuo could give the the "desert tracks" a try made by sand tires unlimited.
If the paddles you choose are the appropriate size for the machine, and your gearing is right, you should not have a problem and you won't hurt the motor.

Tri-ZNate
09-02-2005, 09:25 AM
I'd get bigger tires like 25" if they will fit, otherwise your gonna top out too easy. This way at least you'll have more top end.

1984kxtTECATE
09-02-2005, 10:02 AM
If the paddles you choose are the appropriate size for the machine, and your gearing is right, you should not have a problem and you won't hurt the motor.

My dad ran 10" wheels, with 20" sand skate 2's on the 250sx, the poor thing was overheating bad. (it was also ran pretty hard as of he tried to climb some of the bigger stuff when I was doin it on the tecate.)

DX Rider12
09-02-2005, 12:43 PM
I went up north just before the summer closed and there is a sandy spot about a minute from my property. There was a big sand hill. You can go up it and follow a short trail section w/ a jump, it leads to the other side of the "climbing spot". I was on my DX (Throttle isn't as good as my DR somethings wrong.) and I was doing fine. I buried it in a rut at the base of the hill. I forgot what I was trying to do. I think I would do fine at the dunes with my DR considering I was doing fine on my DX (less power... wierd.)