PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a fuel filter?

Kintore
09-01-2005, 08:35 AM
I was looking at getting 2 filters for both my tri-z's. Just because I can and for sake of mind.
I was thinking something like this- Link to filter (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2002793/showCustom-0/p-2002793/N-111+600002013+10201/c-10101)

Just splice it in right before the fuel pump, or do you have a better idea?

And if it was before my fuel filter would I have a problem with flow? How do you guys like yours?

Thanks 3WW!

P.S Jim, I borrowed your pic ;)

nouseforaname90
09-01-2005, 08:48 AM
On my SX I put mine on the fuel line coming from the gas tank and going to the carb.
Basically what you are doing.
I like it and I haven't had any problems with it so far. Makes me feel better knowing that stuff won't get in the carb and make me walk home someday.

BIGCRIP28
09-01-2005, 12:15 PM
i have one on both my trikes, actually 2 on the 110 because it has 2 seperate gaslines going to the carb for on and reserve

Tri-ZNate
09-01-2005, 03:45 PM
I have 1 on my SX and since I didnt clean the tank it helped put any doubts to rest that I might have about stuff getting in my carb. I'd put it in the easiest spot to get at, so when it gets dirty you can just switch it out.

TeamGeek6
09-01-2005, 04:21 PM
$25 is way too much money IMO. I used a Fram metal cased filter from a car and brass fittings to adapt it, works great for about $10. The fuel flow rate is very low, so the filter doesnt hurt pressure.

The only problem with the diagram is that the reserve feed is lower in the tank than the main, and if the filter is in the main, it might pass debris through if the petcock is switched over. But youre right, better to have it before the fuel pump. Two filters would fix that.

TimSr
09-01-2005, 04:21 PM
You would want to locate it between the gas shut off switch and the carb on a Z, but I wouldnt even run one on something with a plastic tank. By the way, there is a small screen in your gas reserve switch.

Tri-ZNate
09-01-2005, 04:24 PM
$25 is way too much money IMO. I used a Fram metal cased filter from a car and brass fittings to adapt it, works great for about $10. The fuel flow rate is very low, so the filter doesnt hurt pressure.

$10 bucks? Go to napa and get one for $1.50. They work great too.

AZ250R
09-01-2005, 04:38 PM
I wouldnt even run one on something with a plastic tank.
Why not?

I've got one of those "above linked" filters just sit'n on my work bench, and it would look cool on the old R... :idea:

TeamGeek6
09-01-2005, 04:50 PM
A paper element might be better, I dont have any idea if that sintered element has more restriction, but Id guess it does. Those things are usually put on fuel pump systems.

firefirefire90
09-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Check dirtwheels magazines, i got mine but its really neat! looks like a little air filter inside of a plastic casing. cost me around 18$$ but its worth it. Oh and i refurbished the inside of my metal 200x tank with POR15. IT WORKS GREAT! i would consider it to anyone that has an old rusty tank.

Kintore
09-01-2005, 05:52 PM
You would want to locate it between the gas shut off switch and the carb on a Z, but I wouldnt even run one on something with a plastic tank. By the way, there is a small screen in your gas reserve switch.

That is good enough for me! thanks Tim and all other replies.

Red Rider
09-01-2005, 06:58 PM
I wouldnt even run one on something with a plastic tank. By the way, there is a small screen in your gas reserve switch.Yeah, you wouldn't think you'd have a problem with plastic tanks, since they can't rust. But debris from a rusting tank isn't the only crap that finds it's way into the carb's float seat. I've found junk in my gas cans that I use to refuel my R. And for whatever reason, that junk was making it past the factory installed filter at the petcok. I was constantly having problems with grains of sand preventing the float seat from seating properly, so I installed an inline fuel filter between the petcok & the carb. Problem solved.

samster143
09-02-2005, 10:39 PM
All my bikes have those plastic ones they sell at the moto shops for like $2.0 They always seem to catch lots of crap....I change them every year or so. I use zip ties to attach them for a clean look.

ANTI-QUAD
09-03-2005, 08:23 AM
i get my filters at the local sled shop,just little white plastis units the size of a half a roll of dimes,they are a buck or buck-fifty each,so i grab six at a time. i have them on everything,,,,wheelers,lawn mower,snow blower etc.