PDA

View Full Version : Need some wiring help!

nouseforaname90
08-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Ok. I just got my 350X headlight to put on the SX, and I can't figure it out!! The SX has 3 wires that hook to the headlight. Blue, green, and white. The 350X headlight has 3 wires as well.. the same colors. I tried hooking up the like colors, and it didn't work period. Then I tried all different combinations of the wires and nothing worked. Sometimes only the high beam would work, and when I switched it to low beam it wouldn't work. Sometimes the low beam would work, and when I switched it to high beam it would. Others the low beam would be on when I had it set to high beam, and just the opposite others. What do I do?? Does any one know which wires hook to which?? I've been sitting here studying the wiring diagrams and I cannot seem to figure it out for the life of me. Any help would be AWESOME. Thanks!!

SX wiring diagram:
http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/ATC250SXx85.jpg

350X diagram:
http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/ATC350Xx85Thru86.jpg

Thanks again guys. You have all been a huge help with this SX project.
Ben

zoomerman
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
umm ... the way the wiring diagram looks is that the wires so be hooked up together according to there color werid though

nouseforaname90
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
I just went over the wiring diagrams with a fine tooth comb and it looks as though all the like colors should be hooked together.. but its weird because it doesn't even work when I have them hooked together. Ugh!!!

Tri-ZNate
08-31-2005, 11:11 PM
did you have probs with the SX headlight too?

Worst comes to worst ask maine triker. He has a 350x on his SX

nouseforaname90
08-31-2005, 11:17 PM
did you have probs with the SX headlight too?

Worst comes to worst ask maint triker. He has a 350x on his SX

No. The SX headlight worked fine. I know that the high and low beams work on the headlight, and I know the switch works. This is very weird.

And I've already asked Maine_Triker. He has his wires wrapped in electrical tape and it would be a hassle for him to take it all apart. I'll just have to check it out. Idk WTF is wrong.

bigredhead
08-31-2005, 11:18 PM
Well 3 wires would mean

One common.. and one for high. the other for low.

Have you checked both bulbs to make sure they are not missing a high or low beam filament ?

White should be the live i would assume ( manual is in the garage.. will get it if need be. ) the blue and green would be for high and low beam .

nouseforaname90
08-31-2005, 11:27 PM
I've tested every single wiring combination. And no.. it is not missing a high or low filament. I know this 1) because I thought that myself.. I tore it apart and took the bulb out to see 2) both the high beam and low beam work.. just not together. I have to change wiring patterns for the low/high beam to work.

The wiring diagrams say white is Low.. blue is High and green is common. I'm at a loss. Although you say white is common. Were you just guessing, or..?

Tri-ZNate
08-31-2005, 11:33 PM
i made a diagram for ya. it'll be posted ina sec

Tri-ZNate
08-31-2005, 11:42 PM
Here it is. I had to write it down for each one to make sure I understood it correctly myself.
Blue to dark green
green to white
white to sky blue

nouseforaname90
08-31-2005, 11:45 PM
How did you figure that out?
I sat here looking at the diagrams mapping what color of wire did what, and I came up with the same thing it should be: white to white, blue to blue, green to green.
I'll go out tomorrow and see if that works. If it does, I owe you. Lol.

Tri-ZNate
08-31-2005, 11:49 PM
How did you figure that out?
I sat here looking at the diagrams mapping what color of wire did what, and I came up with the same thing it should be: white to white, blue to blue, green to green.
I'll go out tomorrow and see if that works. If it does, I owe you. Lol.

Well with the 1 year of electronics under my belt it was quite simple :lol: If it works send me that supertrapp and we'll call it even :p

nouseforaname90
08-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Haha. Whoa now. That SuperTrapp cost $41 with shipping plus about 2 hours of polishing and painting. No way! lol. How about some good friendly advice sometime when you need it :) lol

Tri-ZNate
09-01-2005, 12:00 AM
yeah the pic is right. Just checked it.

nouseforaname90
09-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Ok. I'll check back in the morning and see what else you posted. I'll try both sets tomorrow morning and report back.

thedeatons
09-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Just another thought in case this doesn't work for you, the case may be that the wattage ratings on the bulbs are different, causing the new lights not to work. I've had these issues before with sportbikes when buying the "cheapy" replacement turn signals. Another thing to try, if you have a multimeter is to hook up the common wire from the bike's wiring harness and one of the other wires, either low or high and turn the light switch on. If you have a DC level then you should be fine, then try the same with the other side of the switch, again, either the low or the high, depending on which one is left. You should see approximately the same level there. Now after hooking up the new headlight assembly, test the same way except instead of touching the meter leads to the wiring harness, touch them to the socket where you install the bulbs. This should tell you whether you are getting the correct DC levels to the lights. You may also try a resistance test from the hot wire in the new assembly to ground, to make sure the hot side is not shorting out. With no bulbs in the sockets the common and either one of the hot wires (for low or high) should show infinite (open). If you see zero ohms, or if in continuity test mode you hear a beep, then you know the wires are shorted out somewhere, probably due to a faulty wire jacket. I'd love to hear how this turns out... James

nouseforaname90
09-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Ok. I went out and tried it, and it didn't work.
Using the first set, the high beam worked and the low beam didn't.
Using the second set, nothing worked.
And then using my own set:
SX----Headlight
White---White
Green---Blue
Blue---Green
Only the low beam worked.
I'm thinking that maybe I should hook the low beam and common wires together..???