PDA

View Full Version : Honda Kill switch/Headlight switch ????'s

350x'inNY
08-31-2005, 02:24 AM
OK.... working on the "Showroom 350X" Project.... (Crate motor, NOS forks, axles, rear end, headlight, fenders, etc) I had a 86 350X headlight switch in a parts lot and I tried to swap it with another member here for a nice 9 out of 10 looking one. Well, the kill switch wouldn't work.....

I also bought a 86 250R one off another member, 9.7 out of 10!!!!! I just assuming that it'd be the same but have just one set of headlight leads.... WAY WRONG! The wiring plug must have the HL wiring in it..... 350X has 2 sets of wires... a set that go to the headlight and another that go to the ignition/ground wire. 250R just has the one set to the ignition/ground. The plastic plug has like 5/6 pins whereas the 350X has 3 pins....

OK... here's my questions.....

1.) When the kill switch is bad, but HL switches are good, is there a way to "clean up" the switch or replace just the kill switch?

2.) Is there a way to use the 250R switches and plastics with the 350X wiring? IE - Can you tear it apart and just switch the wiring harness on the kill/HL module ?????

I'll tear into an old questionable one soon..... figured someone else probably has ran into this problem already..... especuially with the number of people switching lights around.

Bruce

petesatc
08-31-2005, 04:33 AM
Hey Bruce
you can take the switchs apart (pull the red kill switch knob off from front the rest come off the back when you split the assy)and desolder the wires from R switchs and resolder them onto your X switch ...all the switchs will look new again......done this many times to ...dead easy.....pm me if you need any other info or photo's of what i mean......

Howdy
08-31-2005, 09:20 AM
Yes, you can do swaps and stuff with a little effort. Also, I have rebuilt a few switches over the years. So I wouldn't count fixing your out yet.
Howdy

ATCnut
09-01-2005, 12:19 AM
I have also rebuilt a couple of switches over the years. Be very careful when popping the red kill switch slider off, you can break the tab off of the switch itself. I think the wires that come from the 250R switch are the same as the 350X, you just have to splice a set of 350X pig tails onto the 250R switch. There are may ways to fix your problem. No worries, be happy.

creedtk
04-28-2011, 01:00 AM
I did just that!
I broke the tab from my kill switch is there any other models that have that typ of tab so I can fix my kill switch?
Thanks for your time.

Dirtcrasher
04-28-2011, 09:28 AM
^ Thanks for listing your model!! :lol:

Ironbnder
04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
The 250R switches are still available new and the schematics are availible on this Site.

I downloaded the 250R & 350X schematic and the rewire was simple. The colors are basically the same on the Hondas and with a soildering gun and some heat shrink, I have a brand new 350x switch. You just have to switch the plugs. I have had it on there for several months now with no problems. I have ran the headlights extensively with no issues.

smvorndran
04-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I know this thread is six years old, but since it's near the top, I'll chime in. :lol: I wired one up this week. I bought a new switch assembly for a 2011 TRX250X for $38 from my dealer. I cut, soldered, and heat shrunk the 350X ends on the 250X harness. The only difference is that it has the electric start button. I was going to wire it as a push to kill button in addition to the kill switch. I found the electric start button shared the power supply for the headlights, so I just cut it, and it's inoperable. If I wanted to run a new wire all the way up to the switch, I could have done it, but the kill switch is good enough. It looks good with my new handlebars, grips, and levers.

acidburn
04-28-2011, 07:53 PM
LOL i love how the year jumps from 2005-2011 in this thread LOL

Ironbnder
04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
I did not even notice that when I posted above. The new guy should be comended though as I assume he used the search bar to find an answer to his problem. He dug up an old thread instead of just jumping in with a question. Isn't that what we all been hoping for around here.