PDA

View Full Version : Best all-around 350x clutch??

fyi
08-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi folks,

First-off, I gotta say~ I really enjoy coming here! I've learned a great deal about this machine already from all of you and I really appreciate the help. Plus, it gives me something to look forward to on my lunch hour while I watch the shop when everyone else is gone and then again when everyone leaves for the night. It's been fun learning about this trike and I really can't wait to open it up this winter for some *real* mods! :p

Anywho~ enough of that mushy junk.... ;)

What has been the best, most durable all-around clutch for the 1985-'86 350x in your experiences? I've looked all over the place and have found quite a few of them to choose from, but I wanted to hear from some of you guys who have already been down the road I'm about to travel...

Thanx! :)

deathman53
08-30-2005, 08:19 PM
stock, on honda's stock cluth plates are the best.

ATC crazy
08-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Barnett Kevlar clutches are awesome. My bro has one on his built 372X/R.

fyi
08-30-2005, 09:17 PM
When I upgrade this clutch, I'm looking to reduce a bit of rotating mass as a side benefit to gain additional throttle response. I used to have a 1985 Yamaha V-Max back in the day and it had a Barnett clutch in it which worked very well on the street and the strip. The only thing I didn't care for was the incredibly stiff pull of the clutch... After a day of riding, your left forearm would be pumped up from the workout.

Is the Barnett 350x clutch like this?

Hornetpowerspor
08-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Barrnett makes a great clutch. If you dont want such a hard pull, go with the Vesera clutch springs. It also helps to sand the steel discs with some 250 grit sand paper to take the glaze off.

fyi
08-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks Hornet. :) I think to be completely inclusive with this new clutch system upgrade, I should probably upgrade the cable as well to a better, smoother unit such as the Terry-Cable product. A new clutch cable should decrease the amount of force required to make the pull. I bet I can also change clutch lever also so that it has a different fulcrum point that provides the user with more of a mechanical advantage over the tension of the HD clutch springs.

I assume that either product is still produced these days, correct? Thanks for all your help guys. :)

BigGreenMachine
08-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Clutch pull is all about the springs, not the plates themselves. I have a Barnett clutch and springs in my Tecate and it works awsome, light pull and hooks up great. I put a new clutch in my CBR 600 today, took about an hour to do...A good manual makes all the difference in doing all your own work. The clearances are given by a manual and you need the tools to measure the pate thicknesses as well. Doing it yourself is going to be a ton cheaper then haivng some shop measure your plates.

Hornetpowerspor
08-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks Hornet. :) I think to be completely inclusive with this new clutch system upgrade, I should probably upgrade the cable as well to a better, smoother unit such as the Terry-Cable product. A new clutch cable should decrease the amount of force required to make the pull. I bet I can also change clutch lever also so that it has a different fulcrum point that provides the user with more of a mechanical advantage over the tension of the HD clutch springs.

I assume that either product is still produced these days, correct? Thanks for all your help guys. :)

Yes all of them are still available.

NOS_350X
08-31-2005, 02:00 AM
I would stick with OEM, its lasted 20 years for most people so why woudnt another last another 20? You cant beat them, easy smooth pull, grab good and last a long time. You cant beat that.

TimSr
08-31-2005, 03:45 PM
I would stick with OEM, its lasted 20 years for most people so why woudnt another last another 20? You cant beat them, easy smooth pull, grab good and last a long time. You cant beat that.

I agree comepletely. Unless you are eating up clutches prematurely, why would you want to "upgrade" it. OEM Honda clutch parts have a very good lifespan. The only component I ever had trouble with was the 250R clutch basket, but Ive not heard of 350X's having that same problem.

fyi
08-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Reducing rotating mass is my primary objective for doing this and from what I've seen here thus far with my clutch, it's quite heavy overall compared to a lightweight, purpose-built, aftermarket clutch assembly.