PDA

View Full Version : 86 tecate problems

tecatefreak
08-30-2005, 03:19 AM
My tecate stopped running and coolant is coming out of the header! Any one know what might be the problem? any one know or have a repair manual 1986 tecate? pleae help!!! :wondering

Jason Hall
08-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Sounds like your head gasket is bad. Make sure the water pump is working rite. I would just order a clymer repair manual & tear into It.

tecatefreak
08-30-2005, 11:00 AM
hey thanks for the imput! I was thinkin the same. I already removed the head but the gasket doesn't look all that bad but I guess any little flaw will allow fluid to get in there. where do i order the book?(from a dealer or is someone cheaper?)

another ? since i'm this far into it should i put new rings on the piston? and when peolpe rebuild the top end do they replace piston? could you tell me the parts i should replace to rebuild the top end.

TeamGeek6
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
If its putting liquid out the pipe, Id yank the jug and check it out, may have damaged the cylinder if the rings got full of antifreeze. Also have the head and deck checked for flatness if the gasket doesnt look bad.

Jason Hall
08-30-2005, 11:42 AM
You can probly flind a manual on line somewhere cheaper than the dealer. You might want to see If someone has sleeved the cylinder also. There is a posability the sleeve could be leaking internally into the exhaust. I would put a piston & rings in it if you pull the jug & it looks nasty.

ATCWRENCH
08-30-2005, 11:46 AM
this is the only place I have been able to find tecate manuals. to get the full use outa the 86-87 manual you have to get the 84-85 tacate manual as well. I myself think its kinda stupid, but oh well. www.RepairManual.com

tecatefreak
08-30-2005, 07:46 PM
thank for the help. i did pull the head that was easy. now pulling the jug??? Im guessing thats then next piece under the head. i was debating going any further with out the manual. if i pull the jug the pistion will be pulled out the of the bottom of the jug. Right? so in other word after the jug is pulled then the piston and rings will be exposed and just sitting there. right. OK lets say that everything i said is correct. what am I looking for? How will i know what to replace? and do i need special tools to put back together, and or to remove and replace rings. How many rings will i have two? which is which. HELP ME PLEASE I DON'T WANT TO WAIT FOR THE BOOK I'D LIKE TO DO AS MUCH AS I CAN. also have you seen the stainless bolt kits on ebay? my trike sure could use new bolts!! Is it a good way to go?
Thanks I appreciate your help as i am new to 3 wheelers and this forum. if your interested check out my 2002 Yamaha R1 on ebay!!! Type in item #4571185835

Thanks again!!

firefirefire90
08-30-2005, 09:51 PM
You should have known that you would have problems with this bike before you bought it. Then again, that ones mighty fast. got any pics of her?

tecatefreak
08-31-2005, 12:57 PM
ill try to get some pics up soon but as for now she is in pieces!!

Rex Karz
08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
If you're trying to repair the Tecate without the manual, you might as well try to repair it without tools. Don't forget, the powervalve linkage has left hand threads!

tecatefreak
08-31-2005, 03:11 PM
not sure what your talking about! i've only taken the head off to check the head gasket. it was shot!! but i don't know if i should replace the top end while i'm here? but i did order a manual and i have stopped taking pieces off until it gets here. I appreciate your comment cause i think i was getting a bit to comfortable about tearing into it!