PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Here......need some help

oddy_fever
08-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Hello everyone.....

I just purchased a 1982 ATC 110. I rebuilt the recoil starter last night. I would love to try to start it tonight. Can anyone tell me what plug I should use in this?

Also, There is no boot on the back of the carb, and no air filter. Is there an aftermarket (k&n or uni) that I can attach directly to the back of the carb and use an outer sock? If so, can anyone tell me what they have used so I don't have to try trial and error.

This is all for now. I am sure I will have many questions in the near future. I appreciate any help or suggestions you have.

oddy_fever

zoomerman
08-29-2005, 11:58 AM
an ngk dr8hs is the standard one

bigredhead
08-29-2005, 12:01 PM
You should be able to get aftermarket filters for it.. and get one for sure.. no socks.....

You can run it that way to test if the motor runs.. but don't try to tune the carb without an air filter on it.. you'll never get it right and once you put a filter on it ( wich you need to ride in ANY amount of dust .. ) you will need to fiddle with the carb abain.

So yes.. try and get a filter for that thing as soon as possible.

Welcome aboard !

oddy_fever
08-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will get a couple new plugs tonight and see what happens.

I will see what Uni makes as a direct attachment. I am not sure of the Diameter out the back of the carb. I will measure it later and see what options I have for the filter.

I suppose I will need to get a bigger jet without runnig an airbox?

bigredhead
08-29-2005, 01:37 PM
on that small of a motor.. with the factory pipe.. don't worry too much about the jets for now.. she should be just fine.

oddy_fever
08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Update:

I put in a new plug last night. The trike has spark but will not start. The gas tank leaks out of the bottom corner directly above the carb. The machine poofed after about 8 pulls and actually started the side of the maching on fire out the rear of the carb!! Luckly I was able to get it out without any apparent damage.

I need to fix the leak and add a longer pull start rope. The one in there now is only about 2 feet long.

Any other suggestions on at least getting the beast to start?? I have spark and fuel.

slothminx
08-30-2005, 11:42 AM
first thing you need to do is repair the leak it could have been worse if there was alot of vapour around. then stick in in 4th gear and push it it will turn the engine over and should make getting it running for the first time alot easier;)

bigredhead
08-30-2005, 11:47 AM
First thing will be to fix the gas leak.. can't ride around with leaking gas.. that's a dangerous detail there !!!!

I've patched a few pin holes using solder before.. if it's not too bad.. empty the tank, flush it with methyl-hydrate ( paint section at hardware stores.. cheap.. 5 $ a gallon ) and let it dry in the sun until it's bone dry.

sand the area that leaks to determine how large the leak is.... and if it's at the seam you can use a small butane torch to heat it up and apply lead solder or hobby resin core solder.

JB-Weld also works pretty good.. let it dry up really well before you put gas back in it tho.

Or.. get a Kream kit.. it's a 3 part kit with an Acid cleaner.. neutralizer and then a polymer liquid coating to seal it from the inside. works pretty good from what i've read.

good luck.

ps: If the tank is leaking.. there is a good chance it's rusty as hell in there and the gas is all contaminated.... wich will cause debris in your carb.. and a dirty carb means problems.... Fix the tank.. clean the carb ( don't forget the petcock ) and unless something else is wrong you should be fine.

oddy_fever
08-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Any suggestions on the leak? I am not sure if an epoxy would work or not. There are also a couple of small dents in the tank that I would like to fill. Any suggestions on filler? I have hopes of painting the tank after I get it running. I know sealing the inside of the tank would be a good idea as well, but I just want to get it going for now. JB maybe??

oddy_fever
08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I will try jb on the tank. I kreamed the inside of my Oddy tank and it worked awesome. I suppose I should do this one too, before I get a bunch of junk through the fuel system.

Also, there is no front brake on this. From what I have read, a 200 front fork bolts on? It seems this would be a good swap....brakes & front suspension. Any issues with the swap?

I'll post an update when I figure out more.

nouseforaname90
08-30-2005, 12:02 PM
For filling the dents in the tank I used Bondo body filler. WalMart has it for like $7 dollars.
If you are going to paint it, sand the whole tank down, scratch up the dents with like 70 grit sand paper so the Bondo adheres well.. then fill it in with Bondo, and sand it to the shape you want. Then use filler primer and put on about 3 pretty thick coats of it, let it dry, then wetsand it to the shape you want. Then have it painted. I used automotive paint on mine and it turned out great. The only thing is.. it cost $80 for the supplies to paint the tank. I had 4 dents in my tank.. one about golfball size.. two about dime size.. and one a little bigger than softball size and after Bondo'ing them, and painting the tank.. it looks like brand new. You can't even tell that there was ever a dent there. The tank should be done by Thursday, if you want me to get some pictures for you.

oddy_fever
08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Pics would be awesome!!

I just ordered the Kream kit for the inside of the tank, so I should have that part done this weekend. My uncle paints at a body shop, so I might try to call in a favor. He might paint it if I do the prep work.

These forums rock!! I learn so much from them. I just hope to gain some experience so I can be of assistance to others.

nouseforaname90
08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Ok. I'll have you pictures by Friday. Well actually I'll get you some pics tomorrow, but they won't be of the finished product.

oddy_fever
08-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Update:

I sanded the tank where the holes were last night. There were a ton of holes. I cannot believe the previous owner would even paint the tank in that condition. I filled all of the holes with JB Weld. THe Kream kit will be here tomorrow. I hope the JB Weld will be a good enough backer for the plastic kream kit.

I also got some Bondo, New Fuel Lines, & 2 Fuel Filters.

The only issue I seem to have right now is the Air filter. I cannot find one that will bolt on and be a reasonable size.

bigredhead
08-31-2005, 01:21 PM
wow.. she's a rusty beast...... the kream kit is going to be needed for sure at that point.

Good luck.. you can safely assume that your carb neds a cleaning.

oddy_fever
08-31-2005, 01:24 PM
My thoughts as well. The plan is to get the kream kit installed, new gas lines, and added in-line filters. Clean the carb and try to fire it up again.

oddy_fever
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
I guess the machine is a 90 not a 110. I think I need to start with the points system now as far as getting it started goes. Here is the other thread where I figured out it is a 90.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?p=265953#post265953

Huffa
09-01-2005, 05:42 AM
Here is a list of ATC 90 links.

http://www.vintagemotorsports.net/parts.htm

http://www.tcc.on.ca/~grussell/74atc9070.html

http://atc90.tripod.com/hondaatc90/

Check this one frequently and you might find parts you need and check 3WW classifieds as well.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&mppfqy=atc+90&catref=C6&satitle=atc+90&sacat=6000%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfqy=atc+90&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=18080&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

oddy_fever
09-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks Huffa for the links. I have visited a couple of those sites already. A couple of them were new to me. I purchase alot of stuff on e-bay as well.

This site rocks. I know I will be able to get this machine in top shape with all of your help.

An invaluable resource.....