PDA

View Full Version : Money for Trike!!!

caleb200x
08-28-2005, 11:57 PM
I just sold my 4-wheeler and now i'm going to put the 200$ into my 200x. I need to fix my front/rear brakes and clutch. Then she will run like a champ. My clutch is still burning out, and i was wondering if anyone would know how much it would cost to get my clutch system inspected, and what all parts I need to get inspected. I'm very anxious to get this thing going again!!!

All comments are appreciated.........thanx! :TrikesOwn

chris200x
08-29-2005, 08:11 AM
If you take it to a shop your looking at some big bucks. Do it yourself and it will be alot cheaper. Get yourself some new clutch plates and springs and do it yourself..

What exactly is wrong with the brakes?. It may be something as simple as bleeding them to get the air out of the lines. Or they could be frozen from rust.

caleb200x
08-29-2005, 09:13 PM
The front brake reservor has a hole in it, and the rear brakes master cylinder is messed up. When you depress the pedal the cylinder compresses and never comes back out. So you have to take it apart and pull it apart. I'm thinking that it's just a rubber seal thats in there. I had the rear caliper rebuilt and they should work fine once I get the master sylinder fixed.
Also, i'm not gunna have the shop put the new plates in. I'm just going to have them inspect all the parts to make sure they are all good......or would that still cost alot?

sblt500r
08-29-2005, 09:24 PM
there still gonna charge you for the labor of pulling the clutch cover off and then inspecting the clutch. there just not gonna charge you for a new clutch unless you need it.

its really not that hard. just get yourself a $20 manual and follow the directions.

caleb200x
08-30-2005, 09:17 PM
I know how to take it all apart, but it keeps on burning out. So I was gunna take all the parts in by themselves (basket,steel plates,and all other components of the clutch. It might just be my oil though...so i dunno.....

Tri-ZNate
08-30-2005, 09:29 PM
what oil are you running?

Meat-BoX
08-30-2005, 09:32 PM
I remember all those brand new Cannondale brake parts going for dirt cheap. I allso remember that they fit some of the Hondas. You might want to ask around here because people here were scappin them up like hot cakes. As for the Clutch, its real easy. I just bought a New Clutch kit from Barnett and another Clutch assembly from E-Bay for like 10 dollars. I allso bought a NOS top Clutch pressure plate so my clutch is 95% brand new. Im sure you could do the same no problem with the Bike you own, I own an 84-85 Tecate and their tough to get parts for. Your 200x is much easier to get parts for, and if you go that rout you will have a nice strong Aftermarket Clutch setup.

Just why are you burning up clutches anyway?

brendan802
08-31-2005, 01:21 AM
If your cable is binding up the clutch will slip a little. My cable wasn't going out all of the way so the clutch was always slipping whether it was in gear or not. It wasn't even that noticeable but the clutch plates sure noticed it. I went through 2 sets before I figured out what was wrong. Don't take it to a shop. These machines are so easy to work on. PM me and I'll send you the manual.

caleb200x
08-31-2005, 12:43 PM
I don't know why they are burning up. I put them in and after a few houyrs of riding they start to slip. So I took it apart and the friction discs are all worn down/kinda grinded down. I'm thinkin it might be my oil making it slip so much that its just spinning in there and wearing down. I'm using Castrol 10w30.

sblt500r
08-31-2005, 12:50 PM
did you put new steel plates in to? is there any signs of metal in the oil when you drain it?

caleb200x
08-31-2005, 06:40 PM
No, I didn't put new steel plates in. And there isn't any metal shavings in the oil either.

caleb200x
08-31-2005, 06:41 PM
All i put in were new friction plates and springs.

sblt500r
08-31-2005, 08:48 PM
well theres your problem. the steel plates must be screwed up. if everything else is fine, then its the plates. either there bent or out of spec. i would replace both the friction and steel plates with new parts and try it.

does the rest of the basket look to be in good condition? if it does its the steel plates.

caleb200x
08-31-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes, the basket loks good(to me at least). There are no grooves that i've seen or knicks at all. But, the steel plates look good to.But i guess they could be out of spec or sumthing.

sblt500r
09-01-2005, 01:16 PM
also check out the clutch pressure plate and the clutch hub for wear or bending. if they both look good those steel plates are probably your problem.

and when you get it all back together check the clutch cable to make sure its releasing all the way.

caleb200x
09-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Ok.............Thanks Alot guys.