PDA

View Full Version : just got an ATC250R

gixxer750
08-27-2005, 11:05 PM
after many many years of wanting one, I finally got it. I've owned several 200X's and 200S's and even a 350X, but have always wanted a 250R

Well, it seems as though I'm not allowed to ride it now.

Ten minutes after unloading it to ride, it fouls the plug. Now, this is after the parts stores are closed.....so there goes one day.

I get a plug the next, go out and fire it up. I make it 8 feet. The chain comes off and breaks the case saver and the case. That sucks.

Does anyone have a case for the left side for a water cooled 250r?

Every one I bid on on ebay I lose.....it sucks.

I can't find one local because there are hardly any 250R's around here.

MO350X
08-28-2005, 07:28 AM
That's worth a try.
You start bidding on Ebay and you'll end up paying close to new. :rolleyes:
They're still available in case you can't get your hands on one.
Check Service Honda.

I sure hope your string of bad luck subsides.
I love my '86 R to death and it's reliable as the sunrise.
Keep your head up.

Before riding it again:
Go over it with a fine-tooth comb.
It sounds like it's in dire need of some regular maintenance.
You don't want to keep breaking parts.

85 250sx
08-28-2005, 12:06 PM
ESR http://www.esr250.com/250r_various.htm#honda also sells them new with all bearings and seals for $550

TeamGeek6
08-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Ten minutes after unloading it to ride, it fouls the plug. Now, this is after the parts stores are closed.....so there goes one day.

I get a plug the next, go out and fire it up. I make it 8 feet. The chain comes off and breaks the case saver and the case. That sucks.

I fixed a major left case break with MIG welding, but its not easy. If its not too bad, might have a welding shop stick it back together.

Id guess the fouled plug is float needle leaking. Take the carb bowl off and clean the fuel lines, needle and seat and remove the fuel shutoff from teh tank and be sure the screens are good. Mine went bad so I replaced with automotive filter.

max
08-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Dont Try Welding The Cases. Not Going To Happen. Find A Good Used One

Mr. Sandman
08-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Id guess the fouled plug is float needle leaking. Take the carb bowl off and clean the fuel lines, needle and seat and remove the fuel shutoff from teh tank and be sure the screens are good. Mine went bad so I replaced with automotive filter.

A good guess, but before tearing into the carb, check the easy and obvious things first. Clean the air filter, dump the gas and put in some fresh gas using a good quality oil mixed at 32:1 or higher, throw in a new plug, and as TG6 suggested, clean the fuel filter in the tank. If all that is to no avail, then remove the carb and clean it up inside and out. And don't leave the choke on any longer than 20 seconds or so after starting it.

Hornetpowerspor
08-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I have Tig welded many 250R cases with very good results. If you want, send me a pic, and I'll tell you if it is fixable or not. The last one I had come in with the shifter housing broke. A friend of mine is a machinist and he milled the housing half off, and made a new half for me, and I welded it in. Everything worked out well. I welded one for a guy about 4 years ago, just welded the chunk back on, and he is still going today. The machine work will cost about 85 bucks, and I would be willing to weld it for 20. But I need to see a pic first to see the condition.

BigRedRunner
08-29-2005, 07:44 PM
At least you got to ride yours. Mine needed "wheel bearings and a cleaning" according to the e-bay auction. Yeah, that and a few grand. I'm almost into nine months of on/off restoration and still havent ridden it. :rolleyes: Just bite the bullet and buy one from calatv.com . They sell them on there site or on ebay. $270 for a brand new genuine Honda case with all the bearings and seals. It's the only way to go. I had to replace both cases!

deathman53
08-29-2005, 07:55 PM
I just ordered a new left case too, I have enough parts to build another motor, but only a good right case. good left cases are few and far between. also when you replace the case, go through the tranny and especailly the counterbalancer.

bigredhead
08-29-2005, 08:02 PM
I"m with hornet on this one.. depending on the severity of the crack, have it profesionaly tig'ed and go.

TeamGeek6
08-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Good idea to have the case halves assembled like a fixture before its welded. Be a shame to weld it then find out the case isnt aligned. : ( When the shop did mine, it was assembled but I still had to horse with it to get the clutch working. And it leaked oil through the pores in the weld.

Theres a trick to welding it - have the engine assembled and as air-tight as possible, then draw about 2 inches of vacuum on the case, That prevents oil from seeping into the weldment.

bigredhead
08-30-2005, 11:52 AM
I repeat : " Have it PROFESSIONALY welded.. " lmao...

OldSchoolin86
08-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Good idea to have the case halves assembled like a fixture before its welded. Be a shame to weld it then find out the case isnt aligned. : ( When the shop did mine, it was assembled but I still had to horse with it to get the clutch working. And it leaked oil through the pores in the weld.

Theres a trick to welding it - have the engine assembled and as air-tight as possible, then draw about 2 inches of vacuum on the case, That prevents oil from seeping into the weldment.
Bad advice, you want that case half as bare as you can get it. I'm speaking from experince here, not a drafting board. :rolleyes: