PDA

View Full Version : Ignition and cam sprocket timing help

Solid Snake
08-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Ok guys, I had to search forever to find out that this was the cause of my high idle but when I found it I was relieved. Turns out the notch on the pulse rotors base plate wasn't aligned with the notch on the holder for the pulse roter (the round piece that bolts on the cylinder head). I found this when I pulled my c.d.i. cover off. So I aligned them and now my idle doesn't rev up high between shifts, but I lost almost all my power. So now I figure something isn't aligned with the timing. I dig further, I took off the whole pulse generator and got to the cam sprocket. Now help me here, isn't the 'O' mark on the cam sprocket suppose to be aligned with the notch on the cylinder head at the top when I see a 'T' on the stator through the little hole? Must it be on the compression stroke when I see these two things? I think that my cam sprocket was set 180 degrees off, when I see the 'T' on the stator rotor, the cam sprockets 'O' is facing down. If this is the problem, can I adjust this without taking the cylinder head off or if I can will it be easier if I go ahead and take the cylinder head off? Any help would be great because this would be the first time for me taking this off. What should I know about the 'F' mark on the stator, do I need to use that as well? Thanks.

DeePa
08-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Youre right, the t mark and the o on the cam sprocket and the V on the cylinder head must all be aligned on top dead center of the compression stroke. To tell if youre on the compression stroke, all the valves are closed, so you should feel the .03 inch free play in both of the cam rocker arms.

You can take both of the cam sprocket bolts out, and turn the flywheel under the pull starter cage (what model is it???) and keep the chain and sprocket tension tight so it doesnt slip off of the bottom sprocket.

Turn the flywheel and let the sprocket do a 180 so everything is lined up. It sounds practical to me. Just take your time and take the spark plug out so there is no compression and the motor is easier to turn over.

Hope this helps, and please anyone else help him out just incase im mistaken about this solving his problems.

edit... the f mark is for ignition timing...and if thats messed up, i have no clue haha

Solid Snake
08-26-2005, 09:17 PM
It's a 200x so there is no recoil starter, however there is a cap you can remove and stick a socket on the center bolt of the stator, I'll use that to crank the engine over. Anyone else know if this info is all good for the 200x (1983 engine in 1984 frame)? Thanks.

Solid Snake
08-27-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm about to go out and do this. Won't this throw the cam out of time though? I'm thinking if I do that my cam lobes will be out of time. I thought the whole cam had to be rotated or risk it being put in 180 degrees off. Anymore help?