PDA

View Full Version : Is my clutch worn? 200x help please!!!!!!!!!!!

Solid Snake
08-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Ok, My idle is great when it gets down. I adjusted the valves (noticed significant power gain, first time adjusting them) and I overhauled the carb, completely overhauled. Everything seems ok, absolutely no air leaks at all guaranteed. Don't even tell me this is because of an air leak because it isn't. Ok, here is what happens...I mentioned it idles well when the idle goes down but it only goes down if I stop and put it in first and then slowly let the clutch out just to the point where I feel it slightly catch. Then I'll pull the clutch back in and it'll be idling fine, so good infact that I can leave the trike for 10 min. and the idle will be solid. But that isn't until I do the little clutch trick I explained. Between shifts when simply riding around the idle will go really high making it hard to shift out of gear even with the clutch pulled in. It isn't until I stop...get into any gear...and start letting the clutch lever out a little bit until I feel it grab and pull it back in. The moment it begins to grab the idle will settle. Any help would be great...I've tried to be super descriptive here. I'm thinking the clutch is worn and isn't fully grabbing between shifts or until I stop and do that trick I explained. Anyone? Thanks for the help.

firefirefire90
08-26-2005, 12:38 AM
I have no idea to tell the truth. Take the clutch cover off and find out.

Dammit!
08-26-2005, 12:39 AM
How does it idle when it's in neutral?

Glenn J
08-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I think it's a carb issue instead of a clutch problem. If your clutch was toasted, the machine would not rev between shifts.

Firist, check the slide in the carb. It's possible to install it the wrong way which causes it to not seat properly. Bascially, you'll have the thing at 1/4 or more throttle not matter what. Be sure that you put the gooved part of the slide towards the idle screw. The idle screw is on the right side of the carb(right side, if you're sitting on the trike).

If the slide is in correctly, check the idle screw. Make sure you don't have that screwed in too far. If you do, the slide will not be able to drop to the correct level.

Solid Snake
08-26-2005, 10:31 AM
The slide is in correctly and the idle screw is not in too far, and the air screw is adjusted accordingly. If I shift to neutral from any gear the idle stays high until I do what I explained previously. This problem really has me stumped.

bigredhead
08-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Here is a weird request.. but do you have a digital camera with movie and SOUND option ?

Solid Snake
08-26-2005, 12:16 PM
My bro has one, if I do get some video of it I'll post it. Until then does anyone else have any ideas?

bigredhead
08-26-2005, 12:27 PM
remove your air filter and poke your finger into the carb while you turn the choke on and off..

Make sure it opens and closes fully and not only half way.

Solid Snake
08-26-2005, 01:12 PM
I overhauled the carb like I said, everything in the carb is perfect, the choke works fine, there are zero air leaks and all the jets/needles are new and all the passages in the carb are cleaned out (carb cleaner and compressed air); there are no clogs or air leaks!!! I have a feeling that the problem is from something else, tonight I'm going to take the right side crankcase off and check the clutch and the left side one and make sure the flywheel is tight. Anything else I could possibly do?

bigredhead
08-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Timing chain tension could be checked i guess.. but from what you describe.. or the way i'm picturing it..... it sure does sound like a carb problem. sorry.

bigredhead
08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Are you getting any oil leaks from the compression release on the head ? how high would you describe the rev's when it revs too high ? .. like mid throttle rev or full out rev.. or just higher than you'd like by a tad bit.. ???

Solid Snake
08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
It's like a mid throttle rev, I don't have a compression release lever, and none of the gaskets are leaking. I don't know what's going on, might just take it too my local shop this weekend, anyone I'm going out right now to look it over.

mikey's250sx
08-26-2005, 03:37 PM
take it to paparo cyle shop on the corner of 23 and 741. joe is a great guy and knows everything.

bigredhead
08-26-2005, 03:53 PM
And when you say you " let the clutch go a bit and it quiets down ".. do you also give it gas when you do this ? or just let it idle high without giving it any more gas and just ease off on the clutch ?

Solid Snake
08-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Ok guys I found the problem!!! It's not my clutch, It's my timing. How do I know you ask...I pulled off the little c.d.i. cover on the left side of the cylinder head and noticed that the notch on the alternator base plate wasn't lined up with the notch on the cylinder. I lined them back up and went for a test run and success. Now I have another problem though, it lost all it's power!!! I'm not sure if it was firing early or late but I'm guessing that now it's right on the money and that the cam sprocket 'O' mark isn't aligned with the 'V' groove when the 'T' mark is viewable on the stator. I don't have any knowledge other then my Clymer manual on adjusting these but I will tell you this. My stator doesn't have a 'T' mark or an 'F' mark. It seems they have been scraped off and the previous owner just made his own two little nicks in the stator for setting the timing. I may take it to Paparo's cycle shop, I do know where that is but there is a guy closer to me not even in the phonebook called Fat One Custom's. Anyway I might start a new thread about timing help on a 200x after I search through the forums. Thanks for any help guys.