PDA

View Full Version : 200x woes

Oldshell4481
08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
picked up my 200x motor today, they said it needs $700 dollars worth of work to get rebuilt so i gave them their $50 labor charge and put it in a box and now am tempted to destroy it... what a ****, i am thinking of buying the parts and attempting it myself they said it needs new rocker arms, valves, crankshaft rebuild and bearings, timing chain and sprocket, piston/rings/bore.. they said its around $400 worth of parts so unless i can find them cheap im on the lookout for a 200s or x motor to throw in it, my question is that if i find an xr200 motor will it fit right in and perform as well or better than the regular 200x motor? and what years/motors are compatible.

firefirefire90
08-25-2005, 09:22 PM
The XR bottom end will work. Pop it right in and should fire up. I am going to do this very soon. I believe its the XR from 1984 - 1987? I know there is a thread on this. Jenn knows all about it. You will gain a 6th gear so i guess you will be able to keep up with a 86-87 200x. I wouldnt put it in a S tranny, no clutch = no speed. At least to me....haha it will pop in. Jenn?

firefirefire90
08-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Sorry, i forgot to menchion this. You will need to work out decompression and switch out the right side case to put in the forward kicker. Personally, I am WAY to lazy to do the kicker so i would leave it kicking backwards. Matters how much work you will want to do. 700? To much. Rip off.

Glenn J
08-26-2005, 07:43 AM
An XR bottom end will work. Although, given what your 200X needs, you may just want to get the entire engine.

Converting to the forward kicker is very simple. You just need to use your right outside case from your 200X engine and the 2 kicker gears. That's pretty much it. You won't need a decompression cable, that's just an optional mod.