PDA

View Full Version : is it dying?

Sox
08-25-2005, 04:46 PM
i have a horrible horrible problem. my trike is dying i think. it has become harder to start but has no choke so that cant really be held against it. wat worries me is the revving out of control!! i was putting more oil in the diff and just as i was bout to part it i noticed it idling really really high. so i shuit it off put oil it n checked my engine oil. then i take it out for a test drive. still idling really high. it will slowly slow down its idle wen * apply break but if * use gas n let go it doesnt really iidle bak down liek it should. i saved worst for last, as i was bringing it bak up to the garage to shut the poor thing off it starts poping and shooting out black smoke. at this point i just shut it off and heasd bak to house on foot. any help if GREATLY appreciated since my dad is outa town and i dont kno wat to do :(.

Maine_Triker
08-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Sounds like carb problems to me bud... get a repair kit and make sure to use an inline filter too when you're done cleaning it.

Sox
08-25-2005, 04:53 PM
i just got a brand new filter.. ok thats not a big problem i already had carb probs ** this one... it really needs to be taken apart. im glad its the carb and not my engine :)

Tri-ZNate
08-25-2005, 05:11 PM
check your idle screw and your air/fuel screw. Also if it is reving out of control there might be a slit in the intake boot which goes from your carb to the cyclinder of the engine. Just an idea.

Sox
08-25-2005, 05:37 PM
yea um im a bit new to atc's.... could * tell me where the idle screw is? and the air/fuel one too if * could :)

Sox
08-25-2005, 05:38 PM
would tightening the screw lower the amount of fuel or loosening it?

Wickedfinger
08-25-2005, 05:44 PM
First, I would make sure that your throttle and cable arn't binding up somehow. What it really sounds like to me, given your listed problems, is that you probably have an airleak in the intake somewhere. Check this by spraying a small amount of Eather or WD-40 around the intake and carb side of the head - if it really revs, you have an airleak. Keep your face out of there incase there is a flash ignition.

freewheel3
08-25-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm assuming this is your SX, right? The idle screw is on the right side of the carb (when sitting on bike) . It has a black plastic knob on the end & kinda points upward @ an angle.
The air fuel mixture screw hangs out underneath the front of the carb. In is less fuel & out is more fuel. I think it should be screwed out approx. 1 1/2 to 2 turns. (Where is bigredhead when you need him?)
With the symptoms you mentioned, I wouldn't mess w/ either one of these unless you were adjusting them lately. I think you have another problem. Check all cables first, especially the choke one since it isn't working right now. Make sure nothing is pinched, pulled, kinked or stretched. Check for an air leak between the carb & engine.
Check for good fuel flow from the tank.
Finally, if none of the above, pull the carb & give it a good cleaning. 90% of the time that is the problem.

freewheel3
08-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Oh yeah, to increase the idle turn the screw to the right. Best to set this on most bikes by holding the throttle just past where you want it to idle while screwing it in. Otherwise you can gouge the side of the ramp on the slide & end up having a hell of a time setting the idle right where you want. I don't think this matters on the SX carb though, it has a different idle set up on it.

brapp
08-25-2005, 07:55 PM
check to make sure the choke didnt get stuck on it sounds liek the choke turned on 1/2 way and is makign it run ritch. most likely and simple dignosis first.

Sox
08-25-2005, 10:22 PM
ill check the choke first, it was seized inside the carb but mighta came loose the cable for it isnt even hoooked up. then ill mess with idle screw and ill wait for my dad to help with pulling the carb n cleaning if it results in that.

chris200x
08-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Hmm, sounds/looks to me like someone needs to do some routine maintenence. :wondering

Sox
08-25-2005, 10:43 PM
iv owned this thing for a total of 2 weeks. ive had it put together for like 6 days now. i havent even worked it hard and spent $140 on it already. so dont yell at me for maintenace. it has fresh oil in diff n engine checked uym both today brand new air filter new starter relay getting new starter going to recover seat, and hopefully very soon take the carb apart and fix it. i also took gas tank rear end plastics carb air box all off cleane dthem all and oput it bak 2gether. it looks bad cuz last owners beat the crup outa it. ive been really nice to it. if i dont it might not pull my wagon throught the snow this winter n that would suck.

bigredhead
08-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Yep.... don't get over your head.. as you've said before you have a very mechanically inclined Dad... i'd wait for him to get back.. i'm sure it's not major.. it's air/fuel related most likely. Good chance it's that choke that's giving you grief.

Don't run it for now until your mechanic (dad )gets a chance to look at it... problems usually don't fix themselves with violence and harsh words....

If it was running fine before.. and you did not touch any of the carb settings..... the settings are just fine, so don't go change something that would only result in more problems once you fix the current bug.

just be patient and wait.

If it was major motor issues .. it would not run.. let alone at a high rev.

And you rear end drive oil ( 80w Hypoid oil ) has no effect on your tranny oil ( 10w40 or 10w30 is fine ) So that has no effect on the motor what so ever.

nouseforaname90
08-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey Sox.. those mudflaps look to be in good condition w/ not many cracks. I've been looking for a pair. If you send 'em to me along with your seat, I'll redo it for free :) You just pay shipping.

Haha :) Just an offer. I'm getting desperate :(

chris200x
08-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Well then OK... To answer your thread question... Yes I believe it is dying ROTF!!! :lol: ;)

Trust me when I got mine it was in real bad shape. these things take time. With proper routine maintenance it will run another 20 years. ;)

Sox
08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
i might be buying a front fender for it too! maine triker has a 200x fender for it. past owners apparently put 84 250r front end on it. they had the sx fedner zip tied onto the 250r forks it was a sad sad sight. im gona find the sx fender and see if its in desent shape maybe ill sell it sombody has gota be looking for one.

Sox
08-26-2005, 01:45 PM
lol i feel really dumb. i messed with all that stuff. i turned the idle screw down all the way, but it still poped n farted n ran horribly. i put it on reserve even tho there still was a few inches of gas in the tank. it ran cruppy but the same cruppy it did the day **. i filled her back up took her for a spin n she runs ok, still bad but thats cuz she needs a carb cleaning. thanks for ** help n sry to waste ** time.

Tri-ZNate
08-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Does your tank have sealer in it? If not on the lower portion of the petcock there is a screen that strains the fuel (it is inside the petcock). Have someone screw it off. here is a pic. (the black circled piece unscrews from the red circle piece)

Mine ran real s****y till I cleaned this screen out. Wasnt letting fuel through enough.

Sox
08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
omg!! ** a fupping genius!! ty!!! im used to having a glass bowl so * can see if theres crup in there. it runs great now!! but now my wheelie problem is worse and my high idle isnt any better either. but i think thats cuz of my 1/2 on seized choke. ty ty ty now i will be able to go out on the trails later wen my friend gets here with his quad woohoo.

Wickedfinger
08-26-2005, 05:59 PM
It runs great now!! but now my wheelie problem is worse and my high idle isnt any better either. Thats 'case you still havn't fixed it - check for that air leak soon.

Sox
08-26-2005, 06:33 PM
its fixed for the most part i think the high idle is cuz of the choke, i gota wait till i have the time n $$ to pull the carb clean it and free up the choke. but while i have it apart ill look for a lleak between carb n head.i think the biggest prob was not enuf fuel due to cloged up bowl and not enuf fuel in tank and a dirty carb. i think the tank was empty enuf that it was sucking air along with fuel so air fuel mix was off. i will lok into the leak for sure wen i have the carb off tho.

Wickedfinger
08-26-2005, 10:38 PM
i think the tank was empty enuf that it was sucking air along with fuel so air fuel mix was off.It dosent work that way - the carb controls all mixing. The fuel "pools" in the carb bowl for use.

Sox
08-26-2005, 10:50 PM
o. then maybe it was just that the bowl as full of junk i dunno. i prolly wont worry bout it till i pull the carb off n clean it.

Tri-ZNate
08-26-2005, 11:14 PM
well I fixed one prob now lets see if I can help on the other. You said you played with the screws correct? Did you play with them after you cleaned the bowl?

Sox
08-26-2005, 11:17 PM
no **.. only the idle screw i turned it all the way down but i dont see a difference. this weeknd i might pull the carb if i do ill adjust the air/fuel one so it runs better hard to get at it wiht the carb on the trike.

Tri-ZNate
08-26-2005, 11:22 PM
I use an extremely short screw driver to get at the screw while its on the bike. This way you dont have to take the carb off everytime you want to adjust the screw.

freewheel3
08-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Check your throttle cable adjuster on the bars. Mine came loose the other day & the bike was revving high, screwed it in a few turns & it idled back down. Tightened the locknut & it's been good since.

Sox
08-27-2005, 09:49 PM
yup sticky throttle. im used to my trike so i dont have any trouble with it i didnt realize it was sticking. but my dads friend was riding it he fell off it twice (from flipping backwards). it would stick then he would put it in gear or shift up and it would flip on him. one of the times it took off without him and i had to chase it down n turn it off. hopefully tomorow ill pullt he carb n clena it up.