PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z story and problems.

jsimonh
08-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Last week I got my Z "dialed in", no airbox lid, 32:1 ratio, b8es plug, 470 stock jet, and the needle on the leanest setting. I did alot of straight line high speed tests, and it ran GREAT! :w00t: Spark plug was a little on the dark side, but not bad. I would rather be rich than lean :D . Anyway today I took it to the track/trails. I spent the first hour or so creeping around the wood trails. Then I noticed 2 guys on 400ex's. So..... I headed that way for a "friendly" race around the track :naughty: . I got smoked in everyway possible. Up the hills, on the jumps, on the straight aways, it didn't matter what I did :cry: . My Z was bogging down and sputtering when I would give it gas, and it had major hesitation :wondering . I haven't changed anything from last week, so I don't know what the problem is. Could the spark plug be getting a little fouled from all the low speed and then jumping to the track :confused: ? It was very frustrating being behind those guys, when I should've been in front.

PS I think I've decided on either Maxxis All Trax or 22" Turf Tamers, what do you guys think? Oh... I'm staying with 22 on back.

Sorry for the long post, I hope someone knows whats wrong :beer :TrikesOwn

TimSr
08-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Ill bet a plug change will put you back in business.

There is a certain riding technique for 2 strokes. They need to be kept "cleaned out". This one reason why low gearing is so important for trail riding two strokes. You need to frequently open it up and clean it out. Notice I didnt say open it up and shift through the gears. It doesnt require high speed and lots of space. If you cant frequently get the rpms up while crusing trails at a comfortable speed, you are geared too high for your trails. It needs to periodically scream. Low gear should run at least half to 3/4 throttle in your typical trail creep speed. If you are putting around and slipping the throttle at low rpms to keep it at trail speeds, youll foul plugs, eat clutches, and overheat.

Dammit!
08-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Personally, in addition to the above post I'd consider leaning out the premix a bit. A high quality synthetic can run 52:1 with no problems. Just remember to re-check your jetting if you change your premix.

jsimonh
08-25-2005, 04:51 PM
I was running somewhere in the 50:1 area and it seemed like it was getting to much gas, so I just changed the premix and it seemed to fix the problem. It runs really good as long as I stay at high speeds. It's only when I mix alot of trail riding with a little track is when the problem starts.

How do I change my gearing? Smaller front gear, smaller tires, or bigger rear gear?

OldSchoolin86
08-25-2005, 04:56 PM
I was running somewhere in the 50:1 area and it seemed like it was getting to much gas, so I just changed the premix and it seemed to fix the problem. It runs really good as long as I stay at high speeds. It's only when I mix alot of trail riding with a little track is when the problem starts.

How do I change my gearing? Smaller front gear, smaller tires, or bigger rear gear?
Cheapest and easiest is to drop a tooth in the front. It'll cost you $30 and you'll get an idea of what a gear change can offer without spending the bigger bucks on a rear sprocket or tires.

TimSr
08-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Personally, in addition to the above post I'd consider leaning out the premix a bit. A high quality synthetic can run 52:1 with no problems. Just remember to re-check your jetting if you change your premix.

I agree completely with this too.

TimSr
08-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Cheapest and easiest is to drop a tooth in the front. It'll cost you $30 and you'll get an idea of what a gear change can offer without spending the bigger bucks on a rear sprocket or tires.

I got mine from Dennis Kirk. JT Racing sprockets are $9.00. You can go down to an 11T but I dont like the way the chain wears on the plastic swingarm guard, and suggest not dropping below 12T on the front of a Z. My 48T rear for the Quad-z Im thinking was only around $20 for the JT Racing one. Im running trails with 12/48 on the '85 and 12/44 on the '86 with 22" All Trax tires.

Speedster700HP
08-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah check your plug and make sure everything is fresh, very important for a 2-stroke. 2-strokes also seem to respond very well to race gas, you might try mixing some 100 octane with 93 octane next time. And when you are running right, chances are your Tri-Z won't be a very "friendly" experience for those 400s. :cool: ;)