PDA

View Full Version : 250sx Question

ChrisG
08-23-2005, 08:29 PM
My front tire is tilted to one side, could this be an axle? The forks, trees, everything look strait but the tire is tilted to the left when on the bike. I took the axle out and it wasn't perfectly straight, does it have to be perfect for the tire to sit properly?

Maine_Triker
08-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Could be your hub, rim, or axle. If it's not straight that's not a good sign!

Dads
08-23-2005, 10:40 PM
put a milk crate under the engine so the front tire is up. wiggle the tire for play in the hub. then spin the tire to see if the rim is bent. If that is all good you have a broken shock spring.

ChrisG
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
I will check the hub and rim. If it was the spring in the fork would it still work properly? Cause it goes up and down just like it used to.

straight pipe
08-24-2005, 08:58 AM
ya it would compesss but not hold the weight as a "good" shock

ChrisG
08-24-2005, 09:55 AM
So I can rule the shock out, I will try to get a picture. I rolled the tire and it does not wobble at all, it just is tilted now. My buddy took it for a spin and said he bumbed into a tree, don't know what he acutally did.

straight pipe
08-24-2005, 10:10 AM
is the shock bent or mabet the triples are bent. try loosening the triple clamps that hold the forks and see if that helps.

Dads
08-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes it will work fine. The tire will have a little lean top to bottom. If the top leans to the left check the right spring. Bent fork will make the tire not line up with the handle bars, front to backof tire.
Are the shocks original?? I do not know if they made any changes from 85 to 87.
The 200x 83/85 changed things in the shock every year. So you have to be care full getting them off E-bay. they may send you two differant years and they will not act the same.
the chang is all in the oil flow and springs.

ChrisG
08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
I will get a picture probably tomorrow and post. They are the orginal shocks.

freewheel3
08-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Check the tops of each fork in relation to the top triple clamp, are they even? Did one shock slide up in the triples, maybe? This will cause your wheel to lean to one side.

ChrisG
08-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Here are some pics from this morning. It looks like the right shock (when sitting on the bike) is not perfect. What are your thoughts and does any one have a extra fork?

Howdy
08-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Here are some pics from this morning. It looks like the right shock (when sitting on the bike) is not perfect. What are your thoughts and does any one have a extra fork?

To me it looks like the triple tree is bent. My Polaris Scrambler was the same way until Hagen made me a VERY COOL and unique custom triple tree. Any how, I would check it out first before buying any parts. And if you need parts I have some. ;)
Howdy

ChrisG
08-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Hey Howdy,

Thanks, might sound stupid but is this the triple tree. I really looked over it and don't see any bends anywhere.

Here is a close up!

straight pipe
08-25-2005, 09:19 AM
sounds like you'll have to take her apart and remove the dust boot on the shock to run a straight edge on it, if that aint bent your tripples are out of wack ...i have a really good set here and i even have a shock to boot if it is the shock.if you have an angle meter that plumbers use you may be able to diagnose what is out of wack. with the bike on level ground check the good side- triples,upper shock,lower shock than compare it to the other if one don't match voila!

Dads
08-25-2005, 07:43 PM
if your going to measure things put it up on some thing. that way you get a true reading.

Howdy
08-25-2005, 10:08 PM
if your going to measure things put it up on some thing. that way you get a true reading.

I agree 100%. Thanks for pointing that out. ;)
Howdy