PDA

View Full Version : 1984 tecate 3 questions...

jenndnn3
02-11-2003, 06:11 PM
We just fell upon a t-3 for about $200 running. The hubby is going to prob pick this up today(maybe)....I have a ton of questions...the usual what are hard to get as far as parts, what is good...this what I know. Needs new cables and plastic..but thats it is this a good thing or bad help I know nothing of these...also he say it is liquid cool??? What big thing that may be bad do we look for and on and on...please help...Thx much Jen

MIK6
02-11-2003, 08:45 PM
JENN. A running tecate is worth $200. I would grab it. A TECATE's main downfall is the ignition. They blew flywheels and stators. A aftermarket company is now producing them as a package for a reasonable price. Untill people find the company parts will be pretty easy to find because people part them out.
Now some info for you... A 84 tecate was available in red and green. It was liquid cooled w/ a radiator mounted up on the triple tree, it had the headlight mounted on top of the radiator. 84 had a front drum brake w/ disk rear(85 had disk both). Any more questions feel free to ask, I have alot of tecate experience, and if I cant help JEB or some of the other T3 guys can help too.
Parts are out there, but you need to look for them. The search is half the fun!!!

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US INFORMED
MIK6 / Mike

Trikeaholic
02-11-2003, 08:45 PM
get the flywheel done (magnets re glued) I have had no problems with mine, (85) but then again, its pretty much a garage queen.

MIK6
02-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks HOLIC. JENN thats a red 85 T3. a 84 T3 will look verry similar to that. the 84 runs fork boots and 85 has fork swipers. The 84 has a drum brake up front.

GOOD LUCK
MIK6

jenndnn3
02-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Thank you very much....My hubby, has walked. The guy could not get it started... is the the thing comin in the isssues you have said? He inspected it alot closer and it needs alot of work. But the guy selling is very nice and rebuilds 3wheels all the time...So hubby is scoring me some other much needed parts, while I sit at home chompin at the bit..

Trikeaholic that is a very nice tecate. Thx again Jen

GreenLightening
02-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Really wish I would have known about that company making the flywheel/stator combos about a year ago. Other then that, most of the parts are out there. But I have to agree, it sure is kind of a hunt finding them.

My 1984 t-3

CartmanKXT250
02-12-2003, 03:17 AM
The reason the Tecate flywheels fall off is yes, they are glued, but, if your flywheel magnets fall off, it's usually a sign that your crank bearings are spent and the excess vibration from the crank slopping around in those loose bearings is what causes the magnets to fall off. Another troublesome problem is the water pump impeller shaft seal....kawi updated the seal though, but having coolant in your trans fluid is a very common thing with the kawasakis. For some reason, the kickers seem to give people fits too (myself included) sometimes they work, sometimes they dont..hehe

Da_Catt
02-12-2003, 06:08 AM
I would get it for $200. i don't really like those older t-3 but the price is right. Have some fun with it. fix it up a little and clean it up a little bit. just have some fun with it and if you don't like it selll it. I am sure you can make a few bucks on it.

BLAZERONE22
02-12-2003, 12:54 PM
I'll buy it If you hook me up with the seller. d.crone@attbi.com

86350Xrob
02-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Ask me for parts I might have what you need! rprime21@yahoo.com Also they are listed in the classified under Tecate 250 KXT parts for sale.
Rob