PDA

View Full Version : My 1986 TRI-Z thread (latest pics on page 7)

Dammit!
08-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Well here she is in all of her glory. There's a ton of potential under that nasty spray paint and 1970's Lazyboy chair arm of a seat.

Couple things though.

1. The dude I got it from (Merriman from 3wheeler.org, real cool dude) was told when he bought it that it had a 300 kit in it. That looks like a stock jug to me. Is it possible to get 300cc out of a stock jug?

2. sub frame is bent. :( Not bad though. Any tips or tricks to getting that straight again would be appreciated.

Also, check out the rear caliper protector. Never seen one of those before.

Dammit!
08-21-2005, 10:26 PM
One more. Family portrait? :lol:

chris200x
08-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Wooza! A little armour all and she'll be good as new! Nice find. I'm sure it will look as good as your R in no time.

Dammit!
08-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Heh, this one needs a lot more than Armor All. Rear fenders need replaced, new seat cover, airbox lid and shrouds can be saved. Need sanding. Headlight shell can probably be saved but it's gonna be a pain to get all the paint off. Front fender looks usable. Has to be sanded as well. Needs lots of new nuts and bolts. Supposedly has a problem with the electrical system and fuel pump. Haven't even tried to start it yet. It's been sitting a year so I wanted to clean the tank and carb out first since gas evaporates and leaves nothing but oil in there.

I'm excited though. Been wanting a Z project for ages. Now all I need is a 1986 350x and Tecate. :naughty:

Edit: I still need a service manual for this. I have the parts manual already. Also if anyone needs a 350x or 200x manual, pm me. ;)

grundlegrabber
08-21-2005, 11:16 PM
What rear tires are on that bad boy??

honda200
08-21-2005, 11:20 PM
look like dunlops to me

Curtis

chris200x
08-21-2005, 11:24 PM
After looking at the pics a bit further it isn't in that bad of shape. May i inquire as to how much this set you back? I know it's not polite but it's killing me to know. lol

Dammit!
08-21-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't get the not polite thing at all. Why some people find it offensive is beyond me.

I paid Merriman from .org $700 for it and he was even kind enough to meet me half way in Yuma. He's gonna have some R parts for sale soon by the way.

firefirefire90
08-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey, If it is possible to get 260cc out of a 199cc jug, anything is possible. People do that on 250Rs dont they? Could be a new sleve?

honda200
08-22-2005, 12:01 AM
from what the guy that bored the cylinder on my Z said, at the max amount of being bored, it would only be about 287 or something, they could have rounded up though ;)

Curtis

firefirefire90
08-22-2005, 12:19 AM
dont forget that an aftermarket crankshaft will add about 20cc, and there is probably something else done to it. way to go on the tri-z :w00t: I wish i had gotten there first :naughty:

Kintore
08-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Awesome dammit!
Welcome to the elite club of 86's. There are new rear fenders on ebay with the TRI-Z sticker but you can tell they are reproduction buy hey, they work well. She needs some TLC but after all that, she will be mint. If you take care of your R the same way as your Z oh boy!
Have fun with her, going to use it for duning? :w00t:

Maine_Triker
08-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Nice grab man. Your collection seems to be expanding rapidly lately lol.

Phil

LonesomeTriZ
08-22-2005, 10:39 AM
I will say it again, damn you dammit. I wanted that Z.

I have a 370CC Tri-Z top end. It looks stock does it not? :naughty: as long as you know what will fit, you can make anything. :D I think the dual spark plus holes are a real nice touch. :twisted:

Dammit!
08-22-2005, 10:58 AM
OEM rear fenders are still available aren't they?

As for the 300 kit, I just want to confirm what's in there. Planning on taking the top end off just for an inspection anyway so we'll see.

Might test out my salesman skills and see if I can talk Maier into making Z plastics again. They should already have the molds. Probably factory direct special orders only but it's something.

LonesomeTriZ
08-22-2005, 11:01 AM
They do still make them. I have bought two brand new sets from them recently.

Dammit!
08-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Are you talking about Maier or OEM?

I heard the white front fender is near impossible to get and the headlight, shrouds and airbox cover are all unavailable also.

Glenn J
08-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Wow! Nice find Damnit. You're builind a heck of a nice collection there.

LonesomeTriZ
08-22-2005, 11:10 AM
The front and rear fenders are available through Mair. I beleive Speed and Sport can hook you up with new OEM rears with new facrory correct decals. The shrouds and air box cover Is being reprodiced by our favorite Aussie triker. I have sent him an air box cover to duplicate and he is already working on the shrouds. I hear head light shells may be in the near future.

edog
08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Looks good
Keep the pics coming of the restoration.

Dammit!
08-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Today's progress. I need a power sander. The front fender is badly oxidized. Looks real good underneath it though and there's no cracks.

Used carb cleaner to get most of the paint off but it's not working as well on the headlight. Not sure what else to try that won't damage the plastic.

Kintore
08-22-2005, 08:02 PM
I would have to say if the carb cleaner worked a little for the headlight, soak her a little more than you normally would and scrub till your arms pop outa there sockets until you got the rest of the black paint off.

EDIT- Time to change the sig dammit, you have to add the Z to it!

willcamach
08-22-2005, 08:36 PM
i was gonna buy that z from him months ago. but after inquiring about it a few times he didnt seem to motivated to move it so i moved on to a honda 250r. i beleive he told me that the motor had been bored out. he also has an 81 250r for some really insanely cheap price if i recall. kinda wished i had bought that but glad i got my honda.

Dammit!
08-22-2005, 10:10 PM
i was gonna buy that z from him months ago. but after inquiring about it a few times he didnt seem to motivated to move it so i moved on to a honda 250r. i beleive he told me that the motor had been bored out. he also has an 81 250r for some really insanely cheap price if i recall. kinda wished i had bought that but glad i got my honda.

First time I asked about it was like 2 months ago. Timing just wasn't quite right. I was surprised he still had it.

Headlight is almost done. I can't quite get the paint that's down in the grill portion. It's actually in the dishwasher right now (lol, if I had a wife she'd kill me). Maybe the hotwater and jets will get it out of there. Then again, maybe it'll melt. :lol:

It's pretty faded on the top so I'm gonna have to wet sand it as well. Beats buying a new one though.

honda200
08-22-2005, 10:24 PM
i think your asking for a melted headlight shell,

it gets pretty hot in there..... but maybe you get lucky and it will only warp? lol

Post a pic when it gets out!!

Curtis

Dynofox
08-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Dammit the headlight shell is suposed to be black from the grill section down (not sure if you knew that or not).

grundlegrabber the rear tires are dunlops, they are the oem yfz 450 rears.

Dammit!
08-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Dammit the headlight shell is suposed to be black from the grill section down (not sure if you knew that or not).

grundlegrabber the rear tires are dunlops, they are the oem yfz 450 rears.

I think they changed that mid-production. Later production runs don't have real vents either. Edit: could be wrong but there was no way to get the spray paint off without destroying the factory paint underneath if that's the case.

Correct about the tires. It's got YFZ hubs and Banshee rims on it too. He also gave me the original hubs and a Zinger gas tank in case I ever want to do a MX type setup on it.

willcamach
08-22-2005, 11:30 PM
sounds about right on the tires cause i remeber the guy saying he had a pretty bad ass yz 450. did he still have that 81-82 250r for sale?

Darius1502
08-22-2005, 11:47 PM
cool deal Dammit...Now you can make that black and white picture of the Z you liked so much a reality!!

Congrads!!

Dammit!
08-23-2005, 11:32 AM
cool deal Dammit...Now you can make that black and white picture of the Z you liked so much a reality!!

Congrads!!

Dude. I'm tortured by the question of what to do with this thing. There are so many cool color combos you can do with Z's. I broke the bank for a little while getting these last two trikes so it's gonna wait a while anyway. For now I'm just gonna clean up what I can and slowly go about getting it mechanically sound. Maybe by then I'll have it figured out.

sounds about right on the tires cause i remeber the guy saying he had a pretty bad ass yz 450. did he still have that 81-82 250r for sale?

He didn't mention it.

Darius1502
08-23-2005, 11:55 AM
I can't believe someone put that seat cover on thier...thats a disgrace!!

toyota200x
08-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Wow that thing looks pretty mean. Metal Mulisha trike. Great job on fixing it up.

Dammit!
08-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Today's progress and a tip: Acetone in a spray bottle takes spray paint right off without damaging the plastic.

Airfilter cover had a surprise under the spray paint. Pretty funny. Too bad it's actually painted on instead of a decal. Whatever kind of paint it is, it's a lot tougher than spray paint to remove. The whole thing is sun faded so it's gonna get wet sanded anyway.

Found a crack too. What would be best to use to fix that up?

You guys have no idea how bad I want to get out and ride this thing. Too bad there's such a long list of things to do first. The ergonomics are sooooo comfortable compared to my R. I've been out there sitting on it like a little kid. :lol:

MTS
08-24-2005, 12:48 AM
LEAVE THE DECAL...lmao thats great, 20 years worth of grit and you find that...nice, looks like a good project, alot better shape than mine when i picked it up, mine needs EVERYTHING...nice to see such a collection you got goin there....*drools on keybord*.

Kintore
08-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Dammit! Keep the sticker that thing is wicked! Dam funny too. LOL
And you talk about the ergo's, wait till you ride it my friend. You will surprised beyond your dreams, its so plush. Also, a helpful hint, when kicking over try not to hit the right footpeg, my previous owner did that and its bent not a terrible lot but some. I have now learned how to kick it over while sitting down and I have now stopped hitting the peg.

Cant wait to see her finished, keep strong on the project!

Darius1502
08-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Dammit that airbox cover is looking good man. You do good work.

You will be pleased with the Z...alot longer than the R and if you get the motor running right...you will find it to be sometimes more fun than your R!

I can't wait to see the rest of your project. There is a guy on here that does awesome seat covers with the Yamaha lettering on the back...he can do whatever color..

Keep it up man....you will love that Z

Dammit!
08-25-2005, 10:40 AM
I've ridden Z's before so I know what to expect. I have serious doubts that it has a 300 kit in it though. I don't think it can be bored that much and if it's stroked there should be a spacer under the cylinder (right?). I'm thinking YZ power valve top end anyway. :naughty:

Even with a 300 kit I doubt it would be faster than my R. Especially with that stock pipe choking the top end out of it. By the time I get done with it, it might be. Then again, I'm not done with the R either. :twisted: :w00t:

I'm leaning very heavily to this color scheme by the way.

http://members.cox.net/d4mm1t/badassblackz.jpg

Orangecnty250r
08-25-2005, 11:32 AM
That Color scheme is gorgeous!!!!

Dammit!
08-25-2005, 11:38 AM
That Color scheme is gorgeous!!!!

It was Darius' idea. I just mocked it up in photoshop.

diggerzmound
08-25-2005, 01:08 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid167/p42289279fed07a8b6f7005d2d919d9e4/f43d6a91.jpg

I am working on that combo

http://photobucket.com/albums/y129/diggerzmound/th_motor.bmp

Darius1502
08-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah....I went through many torturous days and nights thinking about that color scheme. It practically made me nuts. I found all the parts I needed....I would go with gray fork boots though.

It really is a pretty simple deal...

I would say Dammit that if you get the Z running good you will find that it has tons more bottom end than your R and if you ride in the Dez you will like that alot. Its much more versitile.

Oh...and thats a nice looking Tri Z in the picture...

Darius1502
08-25-2005, 01:11 PM
oh...I would consider gold hubs on that baby....its good since your hubs are gold anyway...just a thought!!

Darius1502
08-25-2005, 01:12 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid167/p42289279fed07a8b6f7005d2d919d9e4/f43d6a91.jpg

I am working on that combo

http://photobucket.com/albums/y129/diggerzmound/th_motor.bmp

He even has the motor matching the color scheme!!

Darius1502
08-25-2005, 01:13 PM
I've ridden Z's before so I know what to expect. I have serious doubts that it has a 300 kit in it though. I don't think it can be bored that much and if it's stroked there should be a spacer under the cylinder (right?). I'm thinking YZ power valve top end anyway. :naughty:

Even with a 300 kit I doubt it would be faster than my R. Especially with that stock pipe choking the top end out of it. By the time I get done with it, it might be. Then again, I'm not done with the R either. :twisted: :w00t:

I'm leaning very heavily to this color scheme by the way.

http://members.cox.net/d4mm1t/badassblackz.jpg

the one thing I was thinking about was doing gold hubs, and the 'Z' in Tri Z on the back fender in gold too. Any sign shop can do it. Maybe Dammit if you have time you can photoshop that one....it would be nice to see iti

Dammit!
08-25-2005, 02:36 PM
the one thing I was thinking about was doing gold hubs, and the 'Z' in Tri Z on the back fender in gold too. Any sign shop can do it. Maybe Dammit if you have time you can photoshop that one....it would be nice to see iti

Should be easy enough to do. I'll whip that up tonight if the gf leaves me alone long enough.

I haven't decided exactly what to do with the wheels on mine. I got an idea that would look hot though. :naughty:

As for the bottom end, that's mainly just because of the narrow pipe. If you were to put a high rev pipe on one (assuming you found one) a lot of the bottom end would go away. But, that's where the YZ top end would come in handy. ;)

diggerzmound
08-25-2005, 04:19 PM
He even has the motor matching the color scheme!!

I really need to get going on this, I still have to get the seat cover done, and I need a good set of paintable radiator shrouds..

Any help would be GREAT!!!

Thanks

Dammit!
08-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Here you go Darius. Gold with gray boots. :beer

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15484

Dammit!
08-25-2005, 05:20 PM
By the way, I'm having trouble finding a fuel pump rebuild kit online. Is it one of these (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/search.jsp?resultType=results&searchString=fuel%2Bpump%2Bkit%2Bis_nla%253A%2B0%2 B%2Bbrand_id%253A%2B195&userString=fuel%20pump%20kit&sr=true&page=1)? I just did a generic search for fuel pump kit and found those. Nothing listed specifically for a Z. I can get one ordered from the dealer but they want $22 for it.

Darius1502
08-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Nice work man...not to be a pest..but can you keep the wheels silver and just make the hubs gold.

That was the idea....and a bit lighter on the fork boots...sorry man!! Thats the last of it!!!...I promise!!

Dammit!
08-25-2005, 05:56 PM
If only it were this easy in real life... :lol:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15485

BigGreenMachine
08-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Thats hot, what about black wheels and suspension link?

Dammit!
08-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Thats hot, what about black wheels and suspension link?

Shhhhh!!!! ;)

Kintore
08-25-2005, 06:58 PM
If only it were this easy in real life... :lol:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15485

Found the color sheme for my new Z! lol Just kidding, Im going blue and silver or stay the traditional white/red. I love that look though, Cant wait to see that done. :drool:

Oh well, trikes own its all good. I almost was sucked in my a banshee today. Glad I came on hear and got my head straight :TrikesOwn Keep working on her Dammit!

twgranger
08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
By the way, I'm having trouble finding a fuel pump rebuild kit online. Is it one of these (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/search.jsp?resultType=results&searchString=fuel%2Bpump%2Bkit%2Bis_nla%253A%2B0%2 B%2Bbrand_id%253A%2B195&userString=fuel%20pump%20kit&sr=true&page=1)? I just did a generic search for fuel pump kit and found those. Nothing listed specifically for a Z. I can get one ordered from the dealer but they want $22 for it.
The round kit is what you need. I bought one for my Z. They are not listed for a tri-z because they are universal kits.

chris200x
08-25-2005, 08:00 PM
I wish I had the know how to do that whole photoshop thing. Nice work dammit. Btw I like the darker grey fork boots. lol

Dammit!
08-25-2005, 09:26 PM
The round kit is what you need. I bought one for my Z. They are not listed for a tri-z because they are universal kits.

There's more than one but I'm assuming you mean the 3rd one down? Dennis Kirk Part #: 170514 ?

twgranger
08-25-2005, 09:27 PM
There's more than one but I'm assuming you mean the 3rd one down? Dennis Kirk Part #: 170514 ?
Sure is. :D

Darius1502
08-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks Dammit.....man that thing gives me chills looking at it!! Thats what I saw in my mind...thats it!!

Dammit!
08-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Today's progress!

Front fender is looking good but it's far from done. This is after stripping the two different colors of paint with Acetone and then wet sanding the crap out of it with 220 grit (had to go to 220, the oxidization was too much for 320). Now it's pretty much ready to start working down to finer and finer grits until it has that factory sheen to it.

Any idea if this rear fender is OEM or Maier? Having a more difficult time getting the paint of this one.

I'll start making much more rapid progress as soon as it cools down around here. Had to borrow a portable swamp cooler just to sit out there for a couple hours doing this today.

nouseforaname90
08-28-2005, 06:33 PM
The front fender looks a heck of alot better. Good job. You have alot of work ahead of you though! :)

Dammit!
08-28-2005, 06:36 PM
You have alot of work ahead of you though! :)

That's half the fun! I get more excited about fixing up these beaters than picking up a near mint trike like my 1985 200x.

I don't have any idea how long it's gonna take but this Z is gonna be freakin' SCHWEET when I get done with it. :w00t:

nouseforaname90
08-28-2005, 06:38 PM
I know what you mean. I love goin out there and working on my SX. When the outcome looks awesome, it makes you feel so good. Plus the comments you get help as well :)

Merriman
08-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Looks like the old Tri-Z has come along ways since you've taken possesion. Good luck with the project. Also the previous owner told me that he had a 310cc kit put in it. I have no idea if that true or not, but he knows about bikes so????????? But from what I could tell when I looked it over is that it was a stock cylinder too.

And I also have a the 81' 250R forsale, and an 86 tecate (needs A LOT of work, more than the Tri-Z does.) for sale, along with a mid-70's atc 90. All are cheap, and the reason why I am not pitching them out there and am super motivated to sell them is because I don't need the money really bad right now, and if they sit for a while before I can fix them up, then so be it. If they sell to someone like Dammit who will take them in and start sooner then that is great too.

As for my 85 / 86 250R parts, I've decided I am going to keep all of them for now since I am keeping my 85 250R and may want to add some of those rare parts to it one day.....

Dammit!
08-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Looks like the old Tri-Z has come along ways since you've taken possesion.

You do realize the nice black and white one ain't the same bike right? :lol:

Thanks again for bringing it to Yuma for me. Having fun with it without even having started it yet. :beer

Darius1502
08-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Any idea if this rear fender is OEM or Maier? Having a more difficult time getting the paint of this one.

Rear looks OEM TO me

Merriman
08-28-2005, 11:36 PM
I know....I've seen those PS pics along time ago. I was just commenting on the fact that you've been able to work on it at all, and having the plastics on their way to restoration......

Dammit!
09-04-2005, 05:46 PM
I think I'm officially out of elbow grease for at least a week.

Started wet sanding the airbox cover today too but not pleased with the initial results at all. It's gonna take a LOT of sanding plus Plastic Renew to make those red parts look like new again.

Edit: are OEM fork boots still available?

Darius1502
09-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Dammit,

Here is some advice: Get the Airbox painted. I had a guy add 'flexcoat' additive to the paint he used for the frame. First he painted the frame red, then added the flex coat to what was left and painted the cover for me. Looks great to this day. Here is a secret:

My airbox cover is actually from a black 85 Z....you would never know.

Also get some fork boots from Summit Racing, the red is a perfect match:
http://www.wheelingtire.com/images/liftkits/BOOTS.jpg

Only thing I am afraid of is that you will freak out when the see the color possibilities with all the fork boots available.

I have these exact ones on mine...and they look very close to factory.

This guy can make you a seat cover. It will be a perfect match to the factory red and will have the 'Yamaha' lettering on the back. Measure the size off of the Lettering off a Banshee or ask someone here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-YZ-125-250-490-replacement-seat-cover-1986-1990_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35589QQitemZ457326 5652QQrdZ1

New rear fenders are available and now you need only worry about the red radiator shrouds. Should not be too hard.

Dammit!
09-04-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm just going to get black shrouds and a black airbox cover from AussieDuner. Gonna do the black and white scheme. Need to find a black headlight shell though. He can't make those. I want to restore the red pieces as best I can just because they aren't available anymore.

How well do those boots fit over the upper tube? Do they rub at all? The Daystars on my R rub and tend to grab a bit. I think the 1986 Z forks are the same diameter as the R. Got a link to where I can buy them?

Kintore
09-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Looking awesome Dammit!
Those fenders are VERY well done, I cant beleive that they are the same ones you started with. Amazing!
Black and white will look sweet too, Good luck and I dont blame ya for being outa elbow grease :lol:

Darius1502
09-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Dammit,

I bought these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORK-BOOTS-250R-350X-200X-250SX-TRI-Z-ATC-SHOCK-RED_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43974QQitemZ4572053 604QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

They fit perfectly and will not rub or cause you any grief. They are the ones you see on my Z in all the pics. Summit Racing makes them but this guy sells them on ebay.

You can see the ones on here:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=dust+boot&x=0&y=0&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

Dammit!
09-04-2005, 10:51 PM
That dude lives in Surprise, AZ. I think I talked to him about a parts lot he had a while back. Sent him an e-mail.

Darius1502
09-05-2005, 12:15 AM
Dammit,

Get your paint guy to spray a headlight shell with paint and flex coat additive. Since the headlight is not a part that will ever bend the paint will stay on fine and it will look great.

I would keep the bottom and finned part in flat black and the rest in shiny.

Just my two cents.

nouseforaname90
09-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Started wet sanding the airbox cover today too but not pleased with the initial results at all. It's gonna take a LOT of sanding plus Plastic Renew to make those red parts look like new again.

You don't have to wet sand the red parts until they are smooth and shiney red again. I thought that was my only option on my front fender, so I sanded and sanded and sanded.. and in the end I never got it ALL back to red.
You can just wet sand it until it is smooth and such and you are happy with it, and then use flame kissing to get it shiney and back to its red color. It saved me alot of work and time, that is for sure.
Just a tip.. didn't know if you knew that or not..

Dammit!
09-05-2005, 10:51 AM
No I didn't know that. Thanks. Gonna do a search for tips on the technique.

I really don't want to go the painting route if I can avoid it. I'll keep it stock colors until I have the pieces I need. I'm sure a black headlight shell will turn up eventually. That's really the only hang up since AussieDuner has already repro'd the shrouds and will be doing the airbox cover soon.

Dammit!
09-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Picked up some fork boots today. Turns out the ones that dude is selling on ebay are available at Auto Zone for $5.99 per boot under the brand name Trailmaster. I've only seen red there so I'm not sure if I can get different colors there or not.

Here's a pic next to an unopened set of red Daystars and my R fenders to see the shade of red they are. A little more orange than the R fenders. They should fit better. Definitely a little more room in them than the Daystars.

AZ250R
09-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Picked up some fork boots today. Turns out the ones that dude is selling on ebay are available at Auto Zone for $5.99 per boot under the brand name Trailmaster.
STICKERs cool too! :w00t:

Dammit!
09-18-2005, 02:06 PM
edit: gonna make a new post for this. this thread is getting to be too long. :lol:

Darius1502
09-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Picked up some fork boots today. Turns out the ones that dude is selling on ebay are available at Auto Zone for $5.99 per boot under the brand name Trailmaster. I've only seen red there so I'm not sure if I can get different colors there or not.

Here's a pic next to an unopened set of red Daystars and my R fenders to see the shade of red they are. A little more orange than the R fenders. They should fit better. Definitely a little more room in them than the Daystars.

Those are the ones. The Z red is more orange than the R red. You'll see when you get everything all restored.

Darius1502
09-18-2005, 07:36 PM
The color of the red plastic in pretty good conditions should be right on with hte boots.

diggerzmound
09-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Getting closer, need the seat!!!

Dammit!
09-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Looks good man. I'll trade you the Lazyboy seat off mine for your red one. :lol:

twgranger
10-01-2005, 09:45 AM
That is looking great!!

Mosh
10-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Heh, this one needs a lot more than Armor All. Rear fenders need replaced, new seat cover, airbox lid and shrouds can be saved. Need sanding. Headlight shell can probably be saved but it's gonna be a pain to get all the paint off. Front fender looks usable. Has to be sanded as well. Needs lots of new nuts and bolts. Supposedly has a problem with the electrical system and fuel pump. Haven't even tried to start it yet. It's been sitting a year so I wanted to clean the tank and carb out first since gas evaporates and leaves nothing but oil in there.

I'm excited though. Been wanting a Z project for ages. Now all I need is a 1986 350x and Tecate. :naughty:

Edit: I still need a service manual for this. I have the parts manual already. Also if anyone needs a 350x or 200x manual, pm me. ;)
hey dammit, i will have a few z parts for sale in a couple of days. i can restore your seat for you too back to stock. they run around 100 bucks installed. pm me if ya need anything. i got a lot of stuff. i need to go thru and see what i am using for my project.here is pic of a seat we did

Dammit!
10-01-2005, 12:23 PM
hey dammit, i will have a few z parts for sale in a couple of days. i can restore your seat for you too back to stock. they run around 100 bucks installed. pm me if ya need anything. i got a lot of stuff. i need to go thru and see what i am using for my project.here is pic of a seat we did

Yeah I've seen those before. Money is a little bit of an issue for me right now though because I'm stupid. :w00t:

The Z won't be getting any money thrown at it for at least a month.

Dammit!
10-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Took a couple pics of the Z yesterday. Painted the pipe with BBQ grill paint after burning through about 8 bucks worth of wire wheels. That's the same seat as on the front page but painted with VHT Vinyl Dye. Looks really good in person. Will be installing white rad shrouds on it within a couple weeks or however long it takes them to get here from Oz. Had the heat shield for the pipe powdercoated white but haven't gotten it back yet. Got the headlight guard PC'd white and started working on restoring a black headlight shell I for from a board member a while back.

Swingarm is coming off this week so I can get the cracks welded. x.system is going to make some bushings to replace the front bearings so after he's done with mine he should be able to hook you other 86 Z owners up. Swinger is gonna get powdered white along with the sprocket hub at that time too. Thinking about pulling the motor and painting that. I wanted to powdercoat it but it's going to cost too much. The frame is eventually going to be a metallic charcoal gray, polished rims and forks. Should be a real looker someday.

If anyone is interested in trading a polished front Z rim for this gold one let me know.

BigGreenMachine
10-09-2006, 07:30 PM
That looks really good thus far. A gripper seat cover would be sweet on there? Is that AussieDuners airbox cover on there already or a nice stocker?

Dammit!
10-09-2006, 09:11 PM
That looks really good thus far. A gripper seat cover would be sweet on there? Is that AussieDuners airbox cover on there already or a nice stocker?

It's stock. Got it off ebay for cheap. It doesn't look as good in person but I have two of Aussie's sitting here ready to go.

Bryan Raffa
10-09-2006, 09:29 PM
gettin there dammit! she'll be a looker before ya know it!

Dammit!
10-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Photoshopped! :lol:

I can never get the frame color quite right but not bad. It'll be kinda like that but... blingier.

Kintore
10-09-2006, 10:01 PM
I love the colour combo doug, Im thinking of tearing mine down and everything that is red make it blue!

Love the the Z, she has come a long way since you got it!

Stu-Pedasso
10-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Looking good, I like the color combo. I should have mine done shortly.

Dammit!
10-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Got my newest Aussieduner plastics on there (white shrouds). Way better looking than the black ones for the look I'm going for. I also Krylon'd an extra airbox cover white to see what that would look like. I'm not sure what to think of it. I think I like black better. I'll be able to figure out what's going to work best once I get the headlight finished.

If you look close in the first pic you can see the freshly painted stock pipe with white powdercoated heat sheild.

Still need to do a lot of cleaning, polishing and powdercoating. That red frame has GOT to go...

ATC-Eric
10-20-2006, 03:06 AM
What color frame you going with?

Aussieduner
10-20-2006, 04:14 AM
The white makes it look super clean Doug,black shrouds tend to blend into the motor.

Look'in good !

Aussie

PS
Can i have a ride if i visit at Chrstmas/New Year ?

jsimonh
10-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Looks good. I like the black airbox better. The color of the frame will also make alot of difference.

Dammit!
10-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Frame color isn't 100% decided yet. Choices are white, black, smoked chrome, metallic charcoal gray or silver.

The white makes it look super clean Doug,black shrouds tend to blend into the motor.

Look'in good !

Aussie

PS
Can i have a ride if i visit at Chrstmas/New Year ?

If it's running strong by then, absolutely. :beer

Red Rider
10-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I think the black airbox cover/black seat has a nice flow to it. I'm just not feelin' it with the white airbox cover.

theonlyjosh
10-20-2006, 06:05 PM
lookin killer man keep it up!! w0000t

350Xccelerator
10-20-2006, 10:07 PM
the air box cover looks way better in black, also the frame will look great in black or any other dark color. keep up the good work!

Dammit!
10-20-2006, 11:16 PM
the air box cover looks way better in black, also the frame will look great in black or any other dark color. keep up the good work!

I photoshopped a few colors and I'm just not feeling black at all. It blends into the airbox cover and seat too much. So far a nice dark gray seems to look the best. Gives it some seperation.

I'd really like to see what a nice metallic silver would look like but I can't quite get that effect in photoshop yet. Still working on it.

350Xccelerator
10-21-2006, 02:29 AM
Or you could just go with hot pink, orange, or lime green. Ive always frames those colors on black bikes, i dont know why though.

OZQUAD44
10-21-2006, 04:16 AM
What about all white plastic, red frame and red seat?

Dammit!
10-21-2006, 11:16 AM
What about all white plastic, red frame and red seat?

Otherwise known as stock?