PDA

View Full Version : 350X Build Up

toyvette81
08-20-2005, 04:35 PM
well i will probbly build my x this winter (dont know why.. it holds its own fine) but what do you guys think about the web cam's (webcam inc.) or is that the only manufacturer for this trike... i would like to get the racing cam shaft but it says must use racing exhaust, piston, etc..?? and must shorten valve guides... do they have these shorter valve guides? and what all does the etc mean lol??? and with
"racing piston" are they talking over 11:1 compression with race gas, or can i have it at about 10.25:1 b/c i would much rather run pump 93 octane for a cooler engine and more realibility?

toyvette81
08-20-2005, 04:40 PM
ok yes they do have the racing valve spring kit, i imagine it would come with the shorter valve guides for a grand total of about $400 i can have this x really screaming but i may go with 1 step down from the racing cam shaft.. b/c the duration is a little longer on the mid to high range cam.... i want some input 1st though, from every1 that has built their x

BigGreenMachine
08-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Have you checked out www.powroll.com ?

MO350X
08-20-2005, 09:06 PM
(dont know why.. it holds its own fine)

I think you answered your questions with that statement.

Personally? I wouldn't screw with it.
Exhaust system, remove the airbox lid, re-jet and enjoy.

You start "race camming" and going nutso with the compression and you're just asking for headaches.
Do you have a house that you can second mortgage?
That's what it takes to Powroll a 350X. :eek:

Take care of that X and it'll treat you great for years to come.
I miss mine.

toyvette81
08-21-2005, 09:06 AM
i want a compression that i can run pump gas on for cooler and more realiblity, and good lord i will never powroll my x that is way too much $... i dont want to bore and stroke like crazy. just raise the compression a little, mid range cam,port& polish ,bore as little as possible and ill be done
if i do it ill go with web cam, there much cheaper.. $112 cam vs. powrolls $185
i can get the cam and valve spring kit for about $200 and thats all i need from them.
the guy that usually does my boring does it for $30/cylinder so were aat $230,piston kit is $80, now im at $310 and the port and polish may be another $30-$50 so ill say about $350 is what it will cost to have alot more power and still realibility. i may even go less than 10.25:1 depending on gas prices lol

edog
08-21-2005, 10:58 AM
i want a compression that i can run pump gas on for cooler and more realiblity, and good lord i will never powroll my x that is way too much $... i dont want to bore and stroke like crazy. just raise the compression a little, mid range cam,port& polish ,bore as little as possible and ill be done
i can get the cam and valve spring kit for about $200 and thats all i need from them.
the guy that usually does my boring does it for $30/cylinder so were aat $230,piston kit is $80, now im at $310 and the port and polish may be another $30-$50 so ill say about $350 is what it will cost to have alot more power and still realibility. i may even go less than 10.25:1 depending on gas prices lol
That is what i am planning for my 1985 200X.

Jason Hall
08-22-2005, 10:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone on here has put a hi-rpm cam in a 350x, does it kill the bottom end power? A 350x has soo much low end torque I don't see how you could loose it all. I had a 85 with a 12.1 piston, with a mid-range cam & I won't do the 12.1 again. I am looking to buy an 86, & when I finally get one I will put a 10.5:1 piston in it. But I sure would like to know if the bigger cam makes it radical or not? I know you need hardened rockers if you run the bigger cam. I think If you get the rite parts It should still be reliable. A 10.5:1 should be fine with mid-grade or super unleaded. I put a stage 2 hot cam in my buddys 400ex, & I love what it did for that, that thing revs out like a 2-stroke but still has so much torque that you can't even use all the throttle in first or second or it will throw you off. As for the porting, I know a 400ex & a 350x are both restricted way back in the valve pockets (on top of the valve seats) opening them up is like putting bigger valves in. :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

dividebyzero
08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
I will tell you what you need to know(i have done all of these things to mine).First,If you can find a guy that can port and polish a 350x for $50 that knows what he's doing,by all means,give me his #.Your looking at least $125-$175 for a good port job.
2nd.I have the same webcam in both x's,which is one below the race cam.I am very pleased with it.The 350x is a torque monster out of the box.That's why places make cams mid-top for it,not low end.Even though one is a big bore,they are the same compression-10.25:1.You can still run 93 with the big bore.I've run 110 with it and no proplems.* have to jet it properly.Also, with the big bore,i had to run a bigger carb(fcr 39) for it to idle and run properly.

HRC1
09-01-2005, 01:24 AM
I wish i could get a good port job for $175, the one i have on my built 350x was free cause i know the guy,and traded some favors, but he usually charges $450 for a 4v head. I have a 12:1 wiseco, megacycle mid cam, 400EX carb and a pulsecharger exhaust and my bike is a flat out monster. Can't get past 1/3 throttle in the first 3 gears or it will flip. It runs on 110 torco, not cheap but i need it. I also have the option to ride my other 350x wich is just piped if i wanna ride slow, but if i only had one i think i'd go max 10.5:1. The cam didn't hurt lowend at all, but that is also helped by my pipe and the compression i run. I'm only runnin a 142 in it right now, gonna try a 145 when i get the chance, but the plug looks good. I'm pretty sure the powroll cams are bought with no core charge, so you can keep your stocker. I can't remember what my megacycle ran me, but i let them use the stock cam as a core to weld mine up on. As for the shortened valve guides, i wouldnt do it, unless it was apurpose built hill shooter or dragracer that you were always tearing down. Oh, and make sure to run a good synthetic oil in it. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

OldSchoolin86
09-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Toyvette, if you want something still fun and reliable stay away from that full race cam. Here's what I'd recomend:

Webcam 213 cam grind w/spring and retainer kit and hardened rockers - $350

Wiseco 10.25:1 piston kit - $105

400ex carb (classifieds or ebay) - $50-$75

Supertrapp 4 in. Racing Series Exhaust - $260

K&N air filter with pre-filter - $50

Add in your local machining prices for the bore job (if you need it) and if you want to complete it nicely get it ported too. Good luck

toyvette81
09-01-2005, 03:20 PM
yeah im not getting the full race cam or having a big bore motor... i was saying that with a compression usually over 10.5:1 you have to have race gas, and i dont want that, i want to run 93 as i do now.
the guy in my town has done all of our bikes, harleys, hondas and my polaris quad about 6 years ago and it still running great he def knows what hes doing, per cylinder he charges $30 to bore, and i think it was under 100 to port & polish a harley
i am very positive that my x will not be over 100$

firefirefire90
09-01-2005, 05:32 PM
get a mid range cam, you dont need race gas for 10.5:1,

toyvette81
09-01-2005, 05:41 PM
i know thats what im saying, all i said was i will not go over 10.5:1 for that reason, i am getting the mid range

firefirefire90
09-01-2005, 05:45 PM
oh, good on ya mate! :TrikesOwn

Speedster700HP
09-01-2005, 06:56 PM
well i will probbly build my x this winter (dont know why.. it holds its own fine) but what do you guys think about the web cam's (webcam inc.) or is that the only manufacturer for this trike... i would like to get the racing cam shaft but it says must use racing exhaust, piston, etc..?? and must shorten valve guides... do they have these shorter valve guides? and what all does the etc mean lol??? and with
"racing piston" are they talking over 11:1 compression with race gas, or can i have it at about 10.25:1 b/c i would much rather run pump 93 octane for a cooler engine and more realibility?

I really doubt 11:1 compression is a big deal at all for 93 octane gas, considering some sporty cars such as the ZR-1 Vette had 11.25:1 and could run on 91 octane gas. Pleaes post the results when you are done! :beer

OldSchoolin86
09-01-2005, 07:00 PM
I really doubt 11:1 compression is a big deal at all for 93 octane gas, considering some sporty cars such as the ZR-1 Vette had 11.25:1 and could run on 91 octane gas. Pleaes post the results when you are done! :beer
Compression is not the reason for higher octain, heat is. A liquid cooled motor like the ZR-1 or a a modern quad motor like the Z400 can handle the compression a lot better because they have better cooling systems. 11:1 in an air cooled motor is worth keeping an eye on.

firefirefire90
09-01-2005, 07:05 PM
if you say an old air cooled 80's motor cant handle an 11:1 piston, then how can ANY 200x handle a 12:1 piston. i mean i really want to know. I'm adding an oil cooler to mine but i dont want to blow my motor due to heat.

EDIT: sorry, i have to be more careful.... :D :beer

EDIT(again): if you do need to keep an eye on an air cooled with 11:1 compression, would it just be down right stupid to run a 12:1 piston? I truly do not know.

OldSchoolin86
09-01-2005, 07:09 PM
if you say an old air cooled 80's motor cant handle an 11:1 piston, then how can ANY 200x handle a 12:1 piston. i mean i really want to know. I'm adding an oil cooler to mine but i dont want to blow my motor due to heat.
I didn't say they couldn't handle it. Re-read and if you still have problems understanding I'll be happy to help you out. :rolleyes:

NOS_350X
09-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Well running the 12:1 in my 350x it runs real hot, so i put on a LARGE secondary oil cooler. Well see how that works out.

toyvette81
09-05-2005, 09:57 PM
usually when you go over 10.5:1 you have to run over 93oct is what im saying, like 103-110 oct, the zr1 came that way thats why it can do that on pump gas, some of the newer quads are 10 or so and they run on pump b/c there factory tuned that way
thats the only thing im scared of, my x runns hott as it is, but i want a 10.5:1 in it will probbly do so this winter, but am in the process of figuring if mine is really stock or not, im starting to think its not

NOS_350X
09-06-2005, 01:26 AM
I just put on a huge secondary oilcooler on my X, now when i ride i can touch my case with my had, anywhere on the case. My X has a 12:1

Yamahauler
09-06-2005, 01:33 AM
This is off topic, but can you figure your compression ratio out with just knowing the the compression in PSI?

toyvette81
09-06-2005, 08:01 PM
NOS350x where did you get your bigger secondary oil cooler?

NOS_350X
09-06-2005, 08:03 PM
A motercycle salvage yard. It was off of a yamaha 600 streetbike.

toyvette81
09-08-2005, 08:11 PM
awesome, from 0-10 how hard was that mod, i want to do it real bad. but i dont have alot of time on my hands, i am a full time student and have a lawn buiz in my "homework" time lol
and how many hrs labor?

NOS_350X
09-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Hours, about 5, dificulty, about a 8. If i didnt use steel braded line it probably would have been much easyer. Its a mod well worth the results. Give it a try, the hardest part is everything is a TIGHT fit in there.