PDA

View Full Version : wont shift past 2nd, and shifter gets stuck in the up position

kilabeez0
08-19-2005, 09:05 PM
85 200x. this is the ONLY thing wrong on the enitre trike. i've rebuilt and replaced EVERYTHING. i am selling this and i know that this downfall will make or break the sale. I'm hoping to buy a bottom end and just swap it out to save myself trouble, but can someone tell me some ideas on what could possibly be broken? I do have another split motor for parts, but I realized what a nightmare splitting the cases was when I tore into it! If I dont sell or buy a bottom end I might attempt it. Some ideas would be nice though so I can check my spare motor and look at the parts I might need.

Jason Hall
08-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Check the shifter return spring, I am not sure If you can get to it with out splitting the case. If Its like most other hondas, its under the clutch basket in the outside (right side) of the main case. Someone else will know for sure.

jenndnn3
08-20-2005, 11:22 AM
I agree with Jason and it is located there. Just check that. no splitting required this shaft slides all the way through.

Glenn J
08-21-2005, 09:18 AM
I was just doing this yesterday on my buddies XR200/200X conversion. Like the others mentioned, sounds like the shifter return spring. It sits on a "nub" near the gear that attaches to the shiftdrum. To get to the linkage, you'll have to remove the right site case cover, oil rotor and clutch assembly. You should be able to do it w/out pulling the engine. The shifter linkages is pretty simple, it's just a little work to get in there to access it.

kilabeez0
08-21-2005, 09:06 PM
thanks alot i'll rip into that tomorrow. thank god i dont have to split cases! What would be wrong with the spring? snapped or just stretched out?

Glenn J
08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
The spring could be broken or just not positioned correctly. If you do need a new one, they are still available.

Here's how the shifter will look once you have everything out of the way. This is an XR lower end, so it may look a little different from the 200X (colorwise).

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/8990/rebuild26mo.jpg

jenndnn3
08-22-2005, 09:22 AM
The spring could be just not set right, as well. It is right under the shifter shaft. It likes to sit slightly up above where it belongs. Now I was able to finangle mine without pulling the clutch. You may be able to as well. I just pulled the top piece off the shifter shaft. There is a tab right under the shaft that has obvious wear marks as to where that spring goes.

Not to highjack this, but curious, Glenn how is your freinds project going? That looks like a real good clean engine.

Glenn J
08-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Here's how it looks with everything in place:
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/3735/rebuild39bp.jpg

Jenn,
We're getting there! We have just about everything bolted up from his old 200X to the XR bottom end. All that's left are the outter cases and the pulse generator. We want to do one last check of the timing before we install that and button it up. He went with a .020 overbore and a Wiseco piston. It should scoot along pretty good.

kilabeez0
08-24-2005, 12:53 AM
where is the spring in either of those pictures?

MTS
08-24-2005, 12:58 AM
it is right behind this mechanicsm that is circcled in red the spring
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/8049/200xcase9ub.jpg

Glenn J
08-24-2005, 08:05 AM
To get the outter most part of that mechanism out, you'll need to remove that cotter pin and that small snap ring on the shifter shaft. A pair of snap ring pliers will make the job 10x easier.

kilabeez0
08-24-2005, 10:09 AM
i'm unable to view pictures at work. do you think you could email me the circled pic to me please? pbeeley@jnphillips.com thanks glenn.

kilabeez0
08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
ok i stopped home to view it. i really hope this will fix the problem!

Glenn J
08-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Keep us posted!

kilabeez0
08-24-2005, 06:02 PM
the spring ends were on either side of the little block thing. I thought both ends were supposed to be resting on the top of the block so thats where i put it. I put it all back together and now it doesn't spring back really at all. Are the spring ends supposed to sit underneath the block? Or was it fine in the first place and is supposed to have the blocked sandwiched in the middle???

jenndnn3
08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Sandwiched!

Jason Hall
08-24-2005, 07:16 PM
The spring ends are supposed to be on the top & bottom. But there should be tension on it, another words you should have to push one side down, & the other side up. If the spring is good, there is a chance there is a problem with the shift drum or a shift fork. I don't know for sure if there could also be a problem with the shift star, or the spring loaded arm that holds the shift drum. Someone else on the board has been in them more often than me I'm sure.

Murph
08-24-2005, 08:28 PM
my 110 did the same thing. Well, just the shifter gettin stuck in the up position. I don't know for sure if the 200x is the same type deal, but on my, the shift pedal, was loose on the shaft. I'd pull it up, and the shaft would return to normal position, but the pedal just stayed up. The shaft spun inside it, and never caught on to the pedal.

I would think, that if it's only getting stuck in the up position, that it can't be the return spring. If that was the problem, wouldn't it get stuck in the down also?

kilabeez0
08-24-2005, 08:35 PM
well first and second gear are no problem at all. it's shifting into 3rd or 4th thats the problem. i just dont get it. do you think maybe the teeth on the gears are chewed up? anyone in mass good at splitting cases?

Glenn J
08-25-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm wondering if that star gear attached to your drum is worn down. I'd try that before getting into the cases.

kilabeez0
08-25-2005, 06:18 PM
do you mean this star? how can i tell if its worn and what does this star actually do?

and how did you get the inside of your case that clean? carb cleaner?

max
08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
As Far As It Not Going Into 3rd Or 4th It Sounds Like You Could Have A Bent Shift Fork/or Improper Installation Of A Gear Put In Upside Down Not Allowing The Syncro To Fully Engage The Selected Gear, If At All.

Glenn J
08-26-2005, 01:28 PM
do you mean this star? how can i tell if its worn and what does this star actually do?

and how did you get the inside of your case that clean? carb cleaner?

Yep, that's the star. I'm not sure how to tell if it's worn. I don't think the manual gives any specifics. Also, the part that actuates that star may be worn down as well. Just check the parts closely and look for wear marks.

As far as getting the cases clean. That's my buddy's engine; he picked it up off e-bay. The shifter assembly we put in there is pretty much brand new. We cleaned up the clutch, oil filter and rotor before reinstalling.

kilabeez0
08-26-2005, 06:23 PM
As Far As It Not Going Into 3rd Or 4th It Sounds Like You Could Have A Bent Shift Fork/or Improper Installation Of A Gear Put In Upside Down Not Allowing The Syncro To Fully Engage The Selected Gear, If At All.

well i never split the cases so i definitely never reinstalled a gear upside down! looks like i'll be trying another bottom end. that sux because i had bought this one from a member on this board because the original bottom end had a stripped drive shaft.